Hermes apologizes to Oprah

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by bryce330, Jun 22, 2005.

1. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Agreed.

2. Roy

Roy Senior member

The way I heard it she was there well within opening hours. The thing that she showed up after closing time was a statement by Hermes.

3. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Everyone look to the left. Satan.

4. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

(Cliff @ June 23 2005,21:05) What a load of horse crap. Â I don't care what store it is when you show up fifteen minutes after closing.....you're screwed. Â How does this become a race thing ?????? Whatever happened to common sense ??
    The way I heard it she was there well within opening hours. The thing that she showed up after closing time was a statement by Hermes.
    Well apparently there was surveillance video supporting Hermes' story (at least as to whether she was there before or after the store closed). I suspect the "North African" comment is also not true.

5. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

(Cliff @ June 23 2005,21:05) What a load of horse crap. I don't care what store it is when you show up fifteen minutes after closing.....you're screwed. How does this become a race thing ?????? Whatever happened to common sense ??
    the story on cnn.com is that hermes was closed for a PR event.

6. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Here are some facts about the incident. She was there after closing and there was nothing about "North Africans." Both sides tell their own versions, of course, and Oprah's still hints at racism (but it was subtle, ya know).

7. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Oprah = Hermesless

You like it the Hermeslessness?

8. Cliff

Cliff Senior member

The coining of a new word, I love it.

How about Doperah?

9. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

"A spokeswoman at Winfrey's Harpo Productions confirmed the Daily News version of the story, saying that the incident was "Oprah's 'Crash' moment" -- a reference to the film in which racism unfolds in complex, subtle and surprising interactions. Winfrey also contacted Hermes' U.S. president to inform him of the incident. She plans to tell the story on her show when it returns from hiatus in September."

I'm telling you guys, Hermes is doomed in the US as of September. If Oprah starts crying and has Dr. Phil holding her hand through it all . . . the woman can act, you know. I think she won an oscar for Color Purple.

10. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I have to say, Hermes refusing Oprah's after hours moolah, so long as it wasn't because of the color of her skin (and I haven't read any of the coverage and wasn't there, so I wouldn't know) makes me want to shop at Hermes MORE. Oprah makes my skin crawl.

11. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

Are all stars into blackmail? "Open just for me and give me free stuff or I'll trash you on my show."

12. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

The emotion attached to these "newsworthy" moments is far too fleeting even for the Opra-nater.

Besides, no one who would shop at Hermes probably cares. Those that do likely equate to the new customers they'll make due to the exposure in the media.

OK, OK, I don't believe any of this. It's Friday. I'm gonna see you guys later; I need a Hermes leather apple fob for my keys.

13. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Make sure you get there before closing.

14. Cliff

Cliff Senior member

Not if Hermes counteracts first with Jesse Jackson .

15. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

If it's not until September, Oprah is therefore able to allow weeks for Hermes to make it up to her. They'll have everything ironed out by then. She may even have her own Hermes scent: Eau d'O.

Then there'll be the episode where everyone in the studio audience gets a Birkin bag...