• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heritage Clothing: Will it last?

tylerjbritt

Reaction score
**I originally posted this in Men's Clothing, but was recommended to post here for better response:

Heritage clothing. You know what I mean"”browsing the forums, it is omnipresent. Workwear (Japanese included), Americana, anything ACL champions, Levis, Filson, Alden, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Are these just part of a trend, or a change in the institution of fashion?

Biographic digression: I spent my late teens with a great interest in fashion. It was an escape from the singular ideology and dress code of my small hometown. With college came greater intellectual expansion and a growing distrust of the industry of fashion. I realized that fashion, like many other consumer products, was fueled by a need to promote seasonal trends, increase consumption, drive up profits, and in turn be more wasteful.

Over the past few years, I have been observing the rise of heritage clothing companies. Suddenly fashion had won me over again. I saw fashion companies that cared about what they were making (or in many cases"”have been caring for decades, some nearly centuries). They were making products that conformed only to standards of quality, not seasonal trends. Is heritage clothing going to be displaced by another trend approaching on the horizon, or will quality prevail?

Apologizes for coming in like and anthropologist and making this my first post. I am a frequent reader of the forum. Thoughtful responses would be appreciated!

mikecch

Reaction score
The Japanese have been making 'heritage/Americana' clothing for the past 4 decades - don't see them going away any time soon, there will always be hobbyists and stealthy nerds carrying the tradition onwards.

In the West - I'm not sure...it's certainly picked up on the Japanese trend these few years, but much of what I still see is hype being promoted to sell more clothing.
Certainly where I am (Australia), the "trend" hasn't even started yet.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^What he said about the Japanese. I'm sure us AMericans will find another trend very soon, because (1) we can't ever be satisfied with what we have, and (2) to not have a reason to 'keep on buying' means that we are letting the terrorists win.

madstaxbro

Reaction score
As long as people can appreciate vintage it will be around. People in the Northwest still wear flannels and Nirvana tees like it's 1992.
I can see it fading back out of the mainstream within the next 5 - 10 years though, with the lifespan of trends and all that nowadays. Sucks.

joz411no

Reaction score
Maybe it only seems trendy because young people are wearing these things. Keep in mind names like Alden, Levis and Filson were not around all these years just because young people were buying them. They've been around because they represent something to those who can identify quality and not just base that quality on cost of the item, workwear or otherwise. Gitman Brothers, Hickey Freeman and Allen Edmonds haven't necessarily been around for hundreds of years but all also play a very big part in refined classicwear. If the quality and ethics are maintained with companies like these I see no reason for them to not deliver on their promise to a conscious consumer. So, though you may see a fading of these trends in younger generations I believe these styles remain an integral part of what will be widely accepted as traditional clothing and styles for years to come.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
many of the companies you mentioned have been around for quite a while. levis has many many lines of stuff. they have the line that you can grab at the malla nd they also have the LVC stuff for the people who want vintage stuff.
Originally Posted by Brittney
im from the midwest and i hate boys in workwear! it's so boring.
girls post in this forum?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best way to imagine the future, in this case, is by looking at the past.

Look at pix from 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago. What do you want to wear of what they are wearing?

My guess is that with these makers, the styles and fabrics will last, because they generally have.

Fits and colorways will change, because they always do.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^focus on fabrics and "classic" designs is offensive?

baba booey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
hopefully not
My guess is heritage outlasts these looks.

rickowensspring.jpg

mcqueenmf092.jpg

baba booey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
good job comparing runway shows to a general fashion trend that is at every pricepoint right now, very fitting
About as fitting as saying heritage (which amounts to classic staples) will somehow go away.

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by baba booey
About has fitting as saying heritage (which amounts to classic staples) will somehow go away.
The OP obviously means it as "will it last [as a major aesthetic/trend] and the answer is no.
I saw fashion companies that cared about what they were making
This is a totally ridiculous statement. The implication that they did not care about what they were making simply because it was not conforming to your ideal of "classic, quality staples" or whatever ridiculous definition you've invented is totally heinous. There are loads of quality manufacturers and designers that wouldn't touch workwear with a ten foot pole. I can guarantee that brands like Julius "care" a lot more than Levi's. For ****'s sake.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
^don't argue, he's the resident dumbfuck

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads