• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heretical probably but I don't think Polo shirts make sense

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting suggestions regarding the tech fabrics that absorb moisture. I'm always nervous about non natural fabrics causing sweating rather than absorbing it. Also, do most of these just end up looking athletic?

Just_Matt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Count me among the heretics; I'm with you, brother. I also think most polos are fairly unflattering, mostly because of the collar, but also because of the cut and the colors they generally come in. To my eye, polos only look appropriate on golfers and little boys.

For my money, the best summer shirt is a breezy linen button-front, usually with the sleeves rolled up.

I really am glad I wasn't the only one who felt this way.

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
I'm always nervous about non natural fabrics causing sweating rather than absorbing it.
I don't think there's much debate at this point about the performance of Coolmax in sweaty situations. There are reasons (visual texture, overall feel against your skin, drape, whatever), but that's not one of them.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The quick drying/wicking technical fabrics are a joy to wear when it's hot. My main job is construction which can bring new meaning to being active. LOL. Once it gets hot out I do not wear anything cotton at all. The athletic style of clothing is designed for freedom of movement so it's loose fitting as it should be. There is nothing worse than soaking wet binding clothing on a miserably hot day. The other benefit of technical fabrics is most of them are antimicrobial. They don't stink and they help prevent warm weather skin issues.

repressedm

Reaction score
I like polos a lot. They can straddle various levels of formality, which I appreciate.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Actually, if we're going to ***** about polo shirts, my beef with them is the typical collar. It's very flat and shapeless, it tends not to have much vertical height which gives the polo a sort of collarless t-shirt look. I think you might find that people who look bad in t-shirts will look bad in polos as well. This is the main reason why I rarely wear polos.

Of course, some makers have a more shirt-like collar and I find that a lot more attractive.

Simple solution - pop your collar

n3306u01.jpg

Originally Posted by Loose On The Lead
Another option is BB's ProSport line, which is now discounted. I'd be interested to read people's opinions on how those polos look. My impression of the white one I got for free is that it feels nice, but looks too clearly like it's designed for athletic pursuits. But I don't trust my visual impressions at all, and neither should you (trust mine, that is).
smile.gif

BB ProSport polos

I hate the BB ProSport logo. It's way too big and gaudy and just seems to go against the understated look that is Brooks Brothers stock in trade.

If I wanted a shirt like this, there are all sorts of better options, Nike Dri-Fit with a simple Swoosh on the sleeve - http://www.amazon.com/Nike-Golf-Dri-...ref=pd_sbs_a_4 or shirts from companies like Ping, Antigua or Ashworth.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The high-tech shirts are all I buy for on the course wear anymore. They are light, comfortable, stay dry and look like mercerized cotton. They go straight from the dryer to the closet, which my wife loves. Some companies (Adidas, C&B) offer 60/40 blends that are still relatively light and dry while offering the structure and soft hand of cotton.

All that said, I have always viewed some of my shirts as being colder weather only due to the heavier knit. Sizing plays a major role as well. Most Americans wear their polo shirts supersized. A nice trim navy or white polo goes with a pair of khaki shorts as easily as a tee shirt. It helps if the shirt and shorts both have honest age on them.

gordon gartrell

Reaction score
Gosh its crazy what idle time does to the mind....my thoughts on this thread

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Sportswear" as defined by the department store is a funny term. It basically includes anything other than suits and ties. And the maximum amount of sports exertion they are designed for is mowing the lawn or just maybe sailing a boat.

Please don't start wearing "technical" gear around though. Do you really need coolmax, stretch goretex and carbon fiber Nike airs when you get groceries?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the pique polos are great for wearing anytime any place. They are durable and the texture looks nice. There are other styles of polos though, I have some that are made from a t-shirt like material that are much thinner than RL type polos. Wearing a brighter colored polo like the ones from Lacoste also keeps them cooler. I've never had a problem with polos, they are a goto style in my closet.
Originally Posted by Tarmac
"Sportswear" as defined by the department store is a funny term. It basically includes anything other than suits and ties. And the maximum amount of sports exertion they are designed for is mowing the lawn or just maybe sailing a boat. Please don't start wearing "technical" gear around though. Do you really need coolmax, stretch goretex and carbon fiber Nike airs when you get groceries?
Tennis? In Europe I've seen people go running in them. I think they are fine for sports, more durable than a t-shirt and more stylish.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't like the look of that Brioni polo at all. The big collar and the pocket remind me of the golf shirts worn back in the early 80's. Just not my style.

I can't imagine going running in a polo, but they're certainly the right outfit for tennis, racquetball, golf. And hey, who says mowing the lawn is not an athletic pursuits. I've never mowed my lawn in anything nicer than a tee-shirt, but it's certainly a sweat inducing pursuit!

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think other people usually look just fine in them, but I agree with most of the comments about their downsides. I personally haven't worn one in many, many years. In fact, except for workouts or at the beach, I never wear anything (in public) but some kind of collared button-front cotton shirt, or the occasional turtleneck in the cooler months.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like having a few around for casual evenings at home or running errands. I rarely wear them to social functions and never wear them for business casual. Although I don't mind them for lounging around the house, I have the same complaints about them as others have expressed.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
Honestly, I don't like the look of that Brioni polo at all.

the Brioni polo screams fat rich slob wear

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads