1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Here are my criteria for a suit, which brand(s) will best fit this?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shep1487, May 14, 2013.

1. shep1487

shep1487 New Member

New to the forum. Looking to buy my first "nice" suit. I have up to $2K to spend.

Based on my limited research on the topic, the following all seem like things I am looking for:

1. Fully canvased
    2. Natural shoulder (no big pads)
    3. Tailored, but not overly slim (I am 6'0 195 lbs with a muscular build and big legs.)
    4. A slightly fuller trouser, if possible (see item 3).

What are some good brands to start with that might be in my ballpark? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. backtaro

backtaro Senior member

At that price range, I think you should look at bespoke suit, which let you customize whatever you want.
    For OTR, if you don't mind wearing second-handed suit and have time to lurking around eBay, most of the brands like Isaia, Borrelli, Zegna... that meet you criteria are in $2k price range
    For new, I think Canali, Brooks Brothers 1818 are all good.

3. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I think you're best off going to a few places like Sak's, Brooks, and maybe Neiman or Nordstrom and trying stuff on. I don't know if bespoke is right for the "first nice suit."

4. havingaraveup

havingaraveup Senior member

Yeah with 2k you can do a lot. My friend came back from naples with a fully canvassed soft shouldered suit that he got made for 700 euros. But yes as backtaro said, isaia, borrelli, zegna will all work for you.

5. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

I'd do a little more than "limited research" before I decided to spend $2K on a clothing item. For that price, you can buy most otr and mtm options, but do a little more investigating to narrow it down. Go to a few stores and try on some suits.