• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Thanks mate. Here, I did think ahead and bought two pairs of these selvedge jeans from Hammond and Co. by Patrick Grant. Just as well, as that particular project with Debenhams is now dead.
Dont blame you, that color and texture are my fave. I have similar looking pair of Cone selvedge denim from Gustin. I too bought two.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to hear from you Mr K, I’m also sporting a lot of knitwear at the moment.
As for the dessies there does appear to be a cheaper version on the market, with a more solid plastic/rubbery sole. But to be honest the Originals are now vastly overpriced for what they are, unless discounted.
I’m just pleased that I bought plenty over the years when they were still at a reasonable price, as in the pic.
Over the last couple of years I’ve bought 4 pairs of Sanders playboys, which get more wear now than the Clark’s.

View attachment 1927909
I thought I was bad having four pairs of Clarks Desert boots 🤣

Reggae Mike

Reaction score
Hard to say. I wouldn't think twice to grab a pair of those Hammond and co.'s if I seen them. The prob with Gustins is waiting 3 months, after paying, to wear your jeans.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1680191674787.png

Lands End have their latest Madras shirts for sale,with discount codes I got 2 for £54 that includes delivery which imo is pretty good....these are great on hot summer days.

Attachments

• 1680191398268.png
    1680191398268.png
    364.6 KB · Views: 30

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1929521
Lands End have their latest Madras shirts for sale,with discount codes I got 2 for £54 that includes delivery which imo is pretty good....these are great on hot summer days.
Lands End seersucker half sleeves are great in Summer.

If they still offer them, you just have to wait for sales or discounts to appear.

I liked supima long sleeve polos in a tailored fit. They now seem to be available only in regular fit.

In the U.K. it is still weather for their flannel shirts which are fantastic. Unfortunately over the last few years the colours/patterns have not been as good as in earlier days.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yessir. Adnams Southwold bitter, close to its spiritual home in Suffolk.
Wetherspoons have Adnams Extra in their current beer festival. It won Champion beer of Britain in 1993 then, unaccountably, they stopped brewing it. It was magic stuff. Thirty years on its not in the same league.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wetherspoons have Adnams Extra in their current beer festival. It won Champion beer of Britain in 1993 then, unaccountably, they stopped brewing it. It was magic stuff. Thirty years on its not in the same league.
I tend to stick with 'cooking bitters' really. I suppose we have strayed off the sartorial path here. Back in the day, what you drank was almost as important as what you wore, but Here and Now I don't imagine there is much of a link...

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes session beers were weaker. That helped if you wanted a clear head and were in a round.

I cannot drink as much as I used to, or eat as much. Beers seemed to have increased in strength over the years.

I have had Adnams in Southwold itself.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lands End seersucker half sleeves are great in Summer.

If they still offer them, you just have to wait for sales or discounts to appear.

I liked supima long sleeve polos in a tailored fit. They now seem to be available only in regular fit.

In the U.K. it is still weather for their flannel shirts which are fantastic. Unfortunately over the last few years the colours/patterns have not been as good as in earlier days.
I never pay full price for Lands End just keep checking the discounts.

Yes,I liked the tailored fit supima long sleeve polos,I wear them in winter under a M&S cotton crew neck jumper or if its really cold a wool crew neck.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I tend to stick with 'cooking bitters' really. I suppose we have strayed off the sartorial path here. Back in the day, what you drank was almost as important as what you wore, but Here and Now I don't imagine there is much of a link...
I don’t think you did Mr K (for example, we had a small conversation here about watches recently) and I would dare to add that in the time what you smoke was also part of the Look. I remember with my mates we first smoke Lucky Strikes because of the beautiful pack design (by Raymond Loewy IIRC). I can easily say that now that I quit smoking 1 year and a half ago.

@cerneabbas, nice shirts ! I like Madras but only got a couple (modest ones from JC and Gap). Do you guys here wear Madras ?

4893C3A4-FB18-42F6-9E68-75B18D31BE97.jpeg

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think you did Mr K (for example, we had a small conversation here about watches recently) and I would dare to add that in the time what you smoke was also part of the Look. I remember with my mates we first smoke Lucky Strikes because of the beautiful pack design (by Raymond Loewy IIRC). I can easily say that now that I quit smoking 1 year and a half ago.

@cerneabbas, nice shirts ! I like Madras but only got a couple (modest ones from JC and Gap). Do you guys here wear Madras ?

View attachment 1930817
I have always liked Madras shirts and with the recent very hot summer weather here I wear them a lot .

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1930817
Good point about the smokes. We always liked the idea - although not the taste - of French ciggies, until we discovered Russian black Sobranie.

I only have a couple of PRL madras shirts. In fact, I am not sure if the ‘fun’ BD really counts. It is made in India, but from linen…
11B502ED-1094-4874-9B6D-D8268DB4FC32.jpeg

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I like Madras shirts, but half sleeve rather than long sleeve.

I don’t like popover versions - though I have several. The fabric is not like a polo shirt and putting on/taking off a Madras shirt by pulling it over your head is tiresome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads