• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
You also dodged the ridiculous queues outside shops when the watches were initially released.
Yes indeed. I had the luck to have one of the swatch stores selling them (only a few) close to where I live, so it was easy to drop there from time to time, and it is a little shop so no queue. I just had to be patient to have the right colour.

when I began to search for one I dropped to the Champs Élysées store a couple of time. I quickly gave up, too many people and tourists queuing.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Clouseau,

This article may be of interest

Thank you, there is another one about the fabrication (link on the same page) that is interesting too.
TBH I am pleasantly surprised by the quality of this watch, and by the « bioceramic » material that has a special feel. Much better that what I thought.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really pleased with my somewhat recent purchase of a Tudor “Ranger” model. Swiss movement, self-winding, and the same guts as Rolex without the price tag. Reminds me of ‘60s-‘70s Rolex Oysters maybe.
E12B8B85-31A9-4205-BF50-BAC3AC76C55D.jpeg

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joyeux Noel to you.

Or Merry Christmas.

Never ‘Happy Holidays’ though.

Amen to that, thank you. Like my eight-year-old son said, “that would be like seeing your friend and saying, ‘hello, person!’, or something dumb like that”.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@Kingstonian here we never say « Joyeux Noël » (BTW don’t forget the diaeresis) before Christmas. That’s why we use « Joyeuses fêtes de fin d’année » before. I think I red several time « Happy holiday season » that seemed more or less equivalent.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Kingstonian here we never say « Joyeux Noël » (BTW don’t forget the diaeresis) before Christmas. That’s why we use « Joyeuses fêtes de fin d’année » before. I think I red several time « Happy holiday season » that seemed more or less equivalent.
Clouseau,

OK. I stand corrected.

'Happy Holidays' is a bit like a Coca Cola advert though.

I recently visited Charles Dickens house. He popularised many of the festive traditions in this country.

That's better than Oliver Cromwell and his pals who abolished Christmas after the civil war.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Clouseau,

OK. I stand corrected.

'Happy Holidays' is a bit like a Coca Cola advert though.

I recently visited Charles Dickens house. He popularised many of the festive traditions in this country.

That's better than Oliver Cromwell and his pals who abolished Christmas after the civil war.
Kingstonian it is always interesting to learn nuances - now I understand what you meant.
Of course our cultures are a bit different and don’t forget English isn’t my first tongue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads