• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We were talking a little while ago about the continuing relevance, if any, of CM in this Covid-affected world. This thread is an interesting read on the subject, although why people get so excited about the views of a balding, bearded, middle aged Englishman I am not sure ?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

We were talking a little while ago about the continuing relevance, if any, of CM in this Covid-affected world. This thread is an interesting read on the subject, although why people get so excited about the views of a balding, bearded, middle aged Englishman I am not sure ?
I don’t know that Guy, at least his fame (if there is any) didn’t cross the channel. Not the first « style » blogger whose opinion I don’t give a f… about, even if this one at least shows his face and doesn’t lecture us on SF ! ?

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t know that Guy, at least his fame (if there is any) didn’t cross the channel. Not the first « style » blogger whose opinion I don’t give a f… about, even if this one at least shows his face and doesn’t lecture us on SF ! ?
I believe that he is tolerably well known in CM circles beyond these shores. Yes, he shows his face and the rest of himself but his views have become increasingly weird and contradictory. Like most of us English chaps, come to think of it!

But I suppose his recent theme of CM , as often interpreted on SF, having one foot in the grave is one most of us can recognise…

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I believe that he is tolerably well known in CM circles beyond these shores. Yes, he shows his face and the rest of himself but his views have become increasingly weird and contradictory. Like most of us English chaps, come to think of it!

But I suppose his recent theme of CM , as often interpreted on SF, having one foot in the grave is one most of us can recognise…
Totally unknown here. I just had a look at a few pics and I don’t like the way he often leaves several buttons of his shirt undone. If he is looking for sprezz it is not the good way. He just doesn’t look neat.
It is true that these days between your « Work event » Minister and your disgraced paedophile prince, like you said English views are weird…

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe that he is tolerably well known in CM circles beyond these shores.

It’s how he makes his living. Now that bespoke tailoring is not doing too well he has had to shift his posts to high margin, upmarket casual clothing.

The ridiculous Nigel Caborn parka does make me laugh. Two and half grand and it looks like something a homeless person would wear, complete with a string around the waist to keep it closed,

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Simon's target market is Britain's post-Big-Bang middle class, which is primarily employed in the back and middle offices of financial services firms ostensibly owned by American shareholders and in practice owned by the Chinese and Middle Eastern and a handful of state pension funds. With no option but continued employment in this purgatory, with a repeat due for their children and grandchildren, due to the competitiveness of British rents (it helps never to build anything new), these poor souls find ways to express themselves through muted consumption and the vicarious pleasure of an imagined character who has escaped said rat race.

In a certain sense it almost matters more that Simon has left his past as a financial analyst/insurer/actuarial/accountant/compliance officer/whatever it was and graduated to full time man "of the arts"; and his actual life (which must be a succession of drab meetings with underfunded, stressed out brand advisors and social media managers) is swallowed under the myth of the bespoke clad coffee sipping idle resident of higher suffixed W1 postcodes.

He will never show up on SF because his demographic is ashamed of being on SF.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was out shopping with wifey in Georgetown yesterday during a snowstorm. A tall figure speaking with a slight French accent appeared in the blowing snow and clobbered me with a stale loaf of bread and encouraged me to post more. Can’t say it was @Clouseau but you never know….

Look schlubby in wool and cashmere at 22 F yesterday.
CF04AD3B-0429-42A5-BF74-34909DA47BC8.jpeg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Just heard about the disparition of Gaspard Ulliel, at 37. He had already played in many movies,and was probably the best young French actor.
He was also a very stylish guy. His interpretation of Yves Saint Laurent was stunning. He died in a ski accident. RIP.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just heard about the disparition of Gaspard Ulliel, at 37. He had already played in many movies,and was probably the best young French actor.
He was also a very stylish guy. His interpretation of Yves Saint Laurent was stunning. He died in a ski accident. RIP.

In La Rosiere. Despite Covid presumably reducing the number of skiers on the slopes.

A five year old girl in ski school group also died in Flaine after an adult crashed into her. RIP.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
In La Rosiere. Despite Covid presumably reducing the number of skiers on the slopes.

A five year old girl in ski school group also died in Flaine after an adult crashed into her. RIP.
Yes this is very sad.
in the case of Gaspard Ulliel it was at the intersection between two rather easy « blue » runs, he crashed into another skier (who is unscathed apparently). He didn’t wear a helmet.

xeoniq

Reaction score
Typical outfit on my morning commute. When I drive I like wearing nicer menswear but when I walk I just want lightweight and robust stuff I can comfortably walk a few kilometers in and gym. I don't want to be covered in head to toe branded sportswear so I still try to keep things coordinated and minimal like I do my menswear. Anyone else commute on foot sometimes, and if so do you dress a little more practically than you would otherwise?

rosenxf.jpg rosenxp.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads