• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

xeoniq

Reaction score
Been messing around with a 2001 digital cam I got for $10 on eBay and wanted to try a portrait with it. The outfit is semi-casual so I thought I'd post it here: a Issey Miyake coated cotton jacket and C.P. Company nylon zip shirt over two Uniqlo basics. Been blessed with cool, stormy weather here even as we get into summer. I assume you lot up North are enjoying cooler weather and breaking out the heavier pieces.

s85prf.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Been messing around with a 2001 digital cam I got for $10 on eBay and wanted to try a portrait with it. The outfit is semi-casual so I thought I'd post it here: a Issey Miyake coated cotton jacket and C.P. Company nylon zip shirt over two Uniqlo basics. Been blessed with cool, stormy weather here even as we get into summer. I assume you lot up North are enjoying cooler weather and breaking out the heavier pieces.

View attachment 1716640
This is a great picture, and a nice smile ! You took the better from that 2001 camera. I like the "not-so-high-but high-enough" definition and the subtle colors. friends took pictures of me with their latest iPhone, and the resolution is too high for SF, so the pictures appears really of poor quality when i upload them !

Well it's getting colder here, but not enough for the super heavy pieces. So far i wear either a Loden coat, a Crombie coat, a light down jacket, or a MA-1 when i'm off to sports.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Any Xmas/New year purchases in mind?

I am eyeing those 1950s Lee Riders in black, but will wait for the sales.

Attachments

• EA2E82C3-8D0B-42BA-AA57-01A5432BD7EC.jpeg
    EA2E82C3-8D0B-42BA-AA57-01A5432BD7EC.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 20

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got the wife a few last-minute items, and felt it my civic duty to purchase this Chrysalis field coat in a navy blue Loden cloth along with them. Waterproof and warm. I love it.

chrysalis-crawford-field-coat-loden-navy-navy-loden_1.jpg

Aside from that, I've commissioned Bookster to make me a sport coat in black/evergreen donegal tweed. Really looking forward to wearing it. Aside from the mandatory navy blazer, I have a few jackets in browns, tans, camel, "earth tones", etc., and not much to wear with black. I've had a few jackets by them over the years, so they have my size/fit down nicely.

Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 5.10.49 PM.png

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite a haul there @Yorky !

Only one recent purchase, a British-made cap. On its first outing today actually: 2A2BBEFE-B08F-4403-B295-E7CA2D8C9831.jpeg

A283B59E-112B-4A52-8D09-4CFD104B505E.jpeg
It was from a label called JackDaw - I believe they make a small range of country clothing and accessories including some nice canes and sticks.

I’m going to wait to see what Santa brings before deciding on next purchases.

Merry Christmas all ?

Last edited:

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite a haul there @Yorky !

Only one recent purchase, a British-made cap. On its first outing today actually: View attachment 1724977

View attachment 1724978
It was from a label called JackDaw - I believe they make a small range of country clothing and accessories including some nice canes and sticks.

I’m going to wait to see what Santa brings before deciding on next purchases.

Merry Christmas all ?
Merry Christmas.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Really nice stuff guys !
I admire @Mr Knightley to still dress CM with style...
A propos...

Sartorial musings...
Those weird two years we went through (and it isn't finished yet) really changed my approach to clothing, and to StyleForum.
Maybe i wore CM once or twice in two years, and i am not even sure i wore a tie !
I don't need for my job to wear CM anyway, but i used to - sometimes - for pleasure, meetings, formal occasions, etc. But since i am totally working from home and i don't have any meetings, i really don't feel the need. And TBH i lost the will...
It doesn't mean that i don't care about how i dress, but now it is SW&D most of the time, CM casual more rarely.
So, logically, i am now almost only on the SW&D side of SF. I don't even look at the CM WAYWRN now, only at the CM casual WAYW. My interest in Americana, Japanese stuff, Military inspired clothing, denim, sneakers, is stronger than it already was... I still have a keen interest on quality footwear & clothing though...

What about you Guys, did you change your habits ?

Merry Christmas to all !

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really nice stuff guys !
A propos...

Sartorial musings...
Those weird two years we went through (and it isn't finished yet) really changed my approach to clothing, and to StyleForum.
Maybe i wore CM once or twice in two years, and i am not even sure i wore a tie !
I don't need for my job to wear CM anyway, but i used to - sometimes - for pleasure, meetings, formal occasions, etc. But since i am totally working from home and i don't have any meetings, i really don't feel the need. And TBH i lost the will...
It doesn't mean that i don't care about how i dress, but now it is SW&D most of the time, CM casual more rarely.
So, logically, i am now almost only on the SW&D side of SF. I don't even look at the CM WAYWRN now, only at the CM casual WAYW. My interest in Americana, Japanese stuff, Military inspired clothing, denim, sneakers, is stronger than it already was... I still have a keen interest on quality footwear & clothing though...

Merry Christmas to all !
By coincidence I was thinking about this subject whilst walking back from the shops earlier.
I have bought no trousers,Blazers or shirts (apart from some Madras BDs) this year.
I have bought several pairs of jeans,polos (LS and SS) ,jumpers and a few M65/Barbour/ Filson type jackets.

I am definitely dressing casually more,I wish that there were more occasions to dress smarter,went for a festive lunch at the pub wearing Brogues,cords,LS polo and jumper and I was probably the 'smartest' bloke there....fleeces and jeans seemed to be most popular...of course there is usually one wearing T shirt and shorts.

The other thing that I have noticed is that I bought several green (coloured) items !

I also took advantage of the huge amount of sales online to buy yet more Brogues.

I will watch the sales for a Fjallraven Greenland in deep forest (more green).

Here is one pair of Brogues bought from a sale...(I dyed the plain welt and soles) I think that they fit in with casual clothes.
1640343521093.png

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really nice stuff guys !
A propos...

Sartorial musings...

Merry Christmas to all !
Fair comment. Retired but glad of an excuse to wear a suit or a collar and tie but they are rare occasions.

I also have enough clothing and footwear so not looking to buy more (nor to get rid of existing stuff).

Yorky’s haul above is impressive. I assume he has either not reached full capacity or existing items go to make way for new stuff.

Mr.Knightley has always done his thing - long before the internet came into being.

Joyeux Noel

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took the wife out for dinner and drinks last night(a very rare occasion these days— just the two of us sans our 7-year-old). Went to Earl’s in the Prudential Mall. Nought ultra-chic but a good bar/restaurant that has always had a hip, semi-refined atmosphere, plus great food and cocktails.
Was about to get dressed for the night. Laid out a pair of trim-fit, pearl gray Ben Sherman flannels when my wife, who’s been working from home now for 1.5 years now, tells me they’re a bit much for Earl’s! I’m thinking, it’s almost Christmas, holiday, cheer, folk will be decked out, etc.
Luckily I listened to her advice- I would have been the most overdressed in Earl’s by a county mile. Most were young hip ethnic kids wearing black t-shirts(???), and a smattering of well-dressed(if you count designer labels as well-dressed) twenty-somethings.

So I switched the flannels for jeans… the ensemble ended up being:
•Bookster dark navy Harris Tweed jacket
•O’Connell’s blue OCBD
•Edwin dark jeans
•Alden No 8 color cordovan bluchers(see my previous post) with red Pantharella socks.
•Bookster charcoal covert coat.

I was glad I wore jeans for sure. They took the look down a notch or two in “formality”, but when the wind was whipping, I longed for the pajamas-like comfort of them flannels!

I guess I’ll have a chance to flex the sartorial muscles tonight with a suit for Christmas Eve festivities and Midnight Mass.

Gesælige Cristesmæsse ǣfre ǣlċ!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics