• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Thank you Inspector.

Sadly, of course, neither Arnys nor Horne Bros. are around today.

Have I ever seen your coat in the flesh?
No i don't think you did. A few pictures of the coat i posted before.

2 clouseau.jpg
Gilles Ile 2.jpg
Gilles Ile 5.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Some nylon stuff from Issey Miyake and C.P. Company the other day in Brisbane.

View attachment 1707556
Nice look Xeoniq. I suppose it is from the same series of the pictures you used for the "Layering" Friday Challenge ?
"Layering" is a too wide topic IMO, lacks a real direction. But as usual your pictures are very good. :cool:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I was inspired by a discussion on another thread : like @Yorky i find it better to show respect and to dress well for a funeral. I find ridiculous the trend (that happily isn’t common in my country) to dress in a colorful way for funerals. In my case I always dress in black and this is my typical attire. I can add a black blazer if needed.

894BBF34-2C8C-42CC-BEF2-36A3BF8E55C0.jpeg

Shirt as to be white of course. Here it is a FP OCBD, I just love the collar roll on this one, one could argue that a non BD shirt would be better for the occasion though, and I quite agree.
Tie (and the rest) is black of course. This one is a Lanvin from their heydays.
Coat is a Merc London.
Trousers are wool flat Front Ben Sherman, MiE from quite a long time ago.
Shoes are Church’s Burwood.

D2535334-F720-4401-8DDA-F5BB9A036726.jpeg

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was inspired by a discussion on another thread : like @Yorky i find it better to show respect and to dress well for a funeral. I find ridiculous the trend (that happily isn’t common in my country) to dress in a colorful way for funerals. In my case I always dress in black and this is my typical attire. I can add a black blazer if needed.

View attachment 1710563
Shirt as to be white of course. Here it is a FP OCBD, I just love the collar roll on this one, one could argue that a non BD shirt would be better for the occasion though, and I quite agree.
Tie (and the rest) is black of course. This one is a Lanvin from their heydays.
Coat is a Merc London.
Trousers are wool flat Front Ben Sherman, MiE from quite a long time ago.
Shoes are Church’s Burwood.

View attachment 1710564
I should think Yorky is as fed up as I am about the way standards are dropping in this country. The push to be democratic, inclusive and woke means we must not exclude anyone who may wish to pay their respects - so we all misguidedly dress down.

Your outfit is exemplary Inspector and I am sorry to say that I did not embrace the correct attire on the last occasion that I attended a funeral, being concerned that I may appear out of step in this modern Britain ?

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should be interested to see how others cope with traditional events Here and Now such as a funeral, in this relaxed age. Apart from evening wear, I no longer have a black suit in my wardrobe.

The last funeral I attended, I wore a dark navy suit in Yorkshire worsted cloth, a nearly-black Budd tie and the grey coat I shared recently with black Church’s plain cap Oxford shoes (Lingfield).

There were very few men in attendance who would have been considered ‘correctly dressed’ but most made an effort to be at least soberly dressed.
5A4E8D1D-1ED7-4869-A42C-1152CFFB198E.jpeg

93451F78-2653-49F5-B442-945A8B280157.jpeg

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should be interested to see how others cope with traditional events Here and Now such as a funeral, in this relaxed age. Apart from evening wear, I no longer have a black suit in my wardrobe.

The last funeral I attended, I wore a dark navy suit in Yorkshire worsted cloth, a nearly-black Budd tie and the grey coat I shared recently with black Church’s plain cap Oxford shoes (Lingfield).

There were very few men in attendance who would have been considered ‘correctly dressed’ but most made an effort to be at least soberly dressed.
View attachment 1711204

View attachment 1711205
Last week

White shirt, black tie, three piece charcoal suit, black shoes. Full length black Crombie overcoat.

My funeral kit. Also worn at a ‘non-religious’ funeral a few years ago where we were advised to wear a favourite band T shirt. I told them ‘I don’t wear T shirts except for exercise or on the beach’.

Strangely enough it was the same bloke running the service - ‘a funeral celebrant’ - in a neighbouring London borough this time. Professional, but better when there is a priest or minister who actually knew the deceased.

I will go for a traditional service myself.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1711204

View attachment 1711205
I don’t think a black suit is a requirement. A dark, sober suit fits the bill.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1711204

View attachment 1711205

That’s about how I do it. I have a bookster dark navy suit in super 100s ‘cool wool’ which I typically wear for funerals. I wear it with a white point-collar shirt, black knit tie, and I have a pair of black Alden split toe bluchers in black shell cordovan or a black pair of Tricker’s plain toe bluchers. Top it off with a black fly-front mac or fly-fronted black wool overcoat weather dependent.
I know some don’t like to mix black and navy, but I think for a funeral it gets a pass because it keeps it understated and sober.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s about how I do it. I have a bookster dark navy suit in super 100s ‘cool wool’ which I typically wear for funerals. I wear it with a white point-collar shirt, black knit tie, and I have a pair of black Alden split toe bluchers in black shell cordovan or a black pair of Tricker’s plain toe bluchers. Top it off with a black fly-front mac or fly-fronted black wool overcoat weather dependent.
I know some don’t like to mix black and navy, but I think for a funeral it gets a pass because it keeps it understated and sober.
Good point about black and navy. It was my reluctance to mix them that led me to my grey overcoat rather than my black. But I think you are right that these smooth things should not worry us on occasions like that.

Byrone

Reaction score
Black is the tradition, but asking people who are attending to wear bright clothes has a meaning. All will take notice of how you want your final event to be remembered.
Time for another topic maybe ?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
The poll is up in the boring ooops I mean layering Challenge. Two guys from this thread are participating, and I confess a certain preference, guess who ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads