• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
Yep, mostly T5 Diesels, very popular with cyclists and holidaymakers, but still see a few air-cooled campers with contact breaker ignition and carburettors

I know the T5 but my romantic image of the Kombi is the Type 2, which shows my age I suppose. … I remember them from the 70s and they were still on the road in the early 80s, mostly driven by hippies or CND types (remember CND) with peace stickers and ‘Nuclear Power No Thanks’, etc.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know the T5 but my romantic image of the Kombi is the Type 2, which shows my age I suppose. … I remember them from the 70s and they were still on the road in the early 80s, mostly driven by hippies or CND types (remember CND) with peace stickers and ‘Nuclear Power No Thanks’, etc.

I worked on a lot them in the 80/90s, nice and easy to fix and fun to own.

Swampster

Reaction score
A whole load of combis and other VWs were at South Mimms last weekend for a circuit of the M25.
Would have been pretty good if they hadn’t been adding to the jam caused by others queuing for petrol

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
A whole load of combis and other VWs were at South Mimms last weekend for a circuit of the M25.
Would have been pretty good if they hadn’t been adding to the jam caused by others queuing for petrol

I’d like to have seen that. Are you sure they weren’t getaway vans for the Insulate Britain demonstrators. Motorways are quite dramatic at the moment, especially the M25: Orbital Madness?.

Swampster

Reaction score
I’d like to have seen that. Are you sure they weren’t getaway vans for the Insulate Britain demonstrators. Motorways are quite dramatic at the moment, especially the M25: Orbital Madness?.
I think they called it 'Run the Ring'. One of the combis was almost entirely rust and the suspension was so low that the body almost scraped the ground.
Quite a few old style Beetles too - all in good nick - which have always appealed to me. The Polos and Golfs less so, though one did have the 'Matchbox' logo in the rear window and I think the wheels were supposed to look like the toy cars'.

I didn't see any particular dress styles to go with them, not even white overalls for the Herbie-clone drivers.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I think they called it 'Run the Ring'. One of the combis was almost entirely rust and the suspension was so low that the body almost scraped the ground.
Quite a few old style Beetles too - all in good nick - which have always appealed to me. The Polos and Golfs less so, though one did have the 'Matchbox' logo in the rear window and I think the wheels were supposed to look like the toy cars'.

I didn't see any particular dress styles to go with them, not even white overalls for the Herbie-clone drivers.
I appreciate the last sentence of this post that tries to put the thread back on tracks ! ;)

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Seen the new Bond movie, pretty good. I won't spoil, but there is a BIG surprise.

As usual, some nice outfits, i really liked the Fawn 3b summer suit (probably cotton, or cotton/linen) that Bond wears at the beginning of the movie (with a denim shirt apparently). You can see it in this short trailer.

I also noticed that M wears a really nice Mac raincoat... And the Friday Challenge is running BTW Guys !

8F8E9F6A-D095-4F5B-9A2D-B3C8385037F3.jpeg

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I notice that Sunspel and Crockett and Jones are using Bond to advertise their clothes/shoes.
In the books I can only remember Saxone (Bonds golf shoes) as a brand name in Bond's clothing/footwear,the rest was just descibed as 'Sea island cotton shirt' etc.
Some of the other characters wore Brooks Brothers suits or Peal shoes.

The odd thing is that I cant imagine the Bond from the books wearing many of the clothes that the Bond of the films wear....certainly not a hat....

Swampster

Reaction score
Bond wears a soft black hat with a dark blue belted raincoat in "The Spy who loved Me".
I think lack of a hat for a man in his thirties in the mid 50s would make him stand out in many places, not something you'd want in his role.

Another mention of a brand is the Burberry raincoat he wears at the start of 'The Man with the Golden Gun' which he has just bought on his return to London.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I had a closer look at the fawn suit I mentioned in my previous post, it seems to be in fact in thin cord (« needlecord »). (3b, not 2b as they say in this article)

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bond wears a soft black hat with a dark blue belted raincoat in "The Spy who loved Me".
I think lack of a hat for a man in his thirties in the mid 50s would make him stand out in many places, not something you'd want in his role.

Another mention of a brand is the Burberry raincoat he wears at the start of 'The Man with the Golden Gun' which he has just bought on his return to London.
Burberry raincoat,not something I can imagine 'book Bond' wearing either,mind you he was brain washed and suffering from amnesia at the time.

He also wore a bowler hat in OHMSS when he was in disguise as Sir Hilary Bray.
As you say a hat in The spy who loved me,maybe because he was in America ?

He also wears a Fedora given to him by the FBI in Live and let die when his clothes were provided by a tailor as 'Americanization'.

He is generally hatless as I think that hat wearing was starting to decline and Fleming wanted him to be 'modern' and 'different' (as you say surely he would have wanted to blend in....then again he would have stood out in other countries anyway) his penchant for Sea cotton shirts,2b suits, nylon underwear ! were all modern (at the time) and different enough to make him interesting.

There is a bit of a dig at hat wearers when he is driving to meet up with Goldfinger, something like 'the mark of a bad driver'.....

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I notice that Sunspel and Crockett and Jones are using Bond to advertise their clothes/shoes.
In the books I can only remember Saxone (Bonds golf shoes) as a brand name in Bond's clothing/footwear,the rest was just descibed as 'Sea island cotton shirt' etc.
Some of the other characters wore Brooks Brothers suits or Peal shoes.

The odd thing is that I cant imagine the Bond from the books wearing many of the clothes that the Bond of the films wear....certainly not a hat....
Indeed. This is rather well put up (short movie included).

Top notch merchandising... but still merchandising.

Sunspel collab with Bond films is a bit dated.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Time goes by quickly…

Tick Tick Tick…⏰

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics