• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
No entry so far, and the deadline is friday !
Just posted one !

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
Try Outdoor Knitwear,they have the suede patch version also the original woolly pully (they say) in 12 different colours !....I also found a camo version for 'special forces Walts'.
Something in my memory that there was a version with a patch on the sleeve for pens ?

Yes, I have several Woolly Pullies with pen pockets!

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
Try Outdoor Knitwear,they have the suede patch version also the original woolly pully (they say) in 12 different colours !....I also found a camo version for 'special forces Walts'.
Something in my memory that there was a version with a patch on the sleeve for pens ?

I can confirm that they have the Woolly Pully in 12 different colours because I have all 12!!! My first Army Woolly Pully I acquired back in the 70s when I was 11; I then quickly added Army and RAF. I continued to wear them through my teenage years - and wore an Army one ‘officially’ for Corps at school (boys’ boarding school, typically English!). I practically lived in them at uni and have been wearing them ever since and find them unbeatable with a timeless style and suitable for both town and country.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I can confirm that they have the Woolly Pully in 12 different colours because I have all 12!!! My first Army Woolly Pully I acquired back in the 70s when I was 11; I then quickly added Army and RAF. I continued to wear them through my teenage years - and wore an Army one ‘officially’ for Corps at school (boys’ boarding school, typically English!). I practically lived in them at uni and have been wearing them ever since and find them unbeatable with a timeless style and suitable for both town and country.
I only had one in my life, a « real one » in navy (so from the British Navy I suppose). I had it around 11 too an I kept it 35 years ! (No kidding) Ar first it was too big for me, too small near the end, but it was extraordinary quality !

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
I only had one in my life, a « real one » in navy (so from the British Navy I suppose). I had it at 11 too an I kept it 35 years ! (No kidding) Ar first it was too big for me, too small near the end, but it was extraordinary quality !

Yes it would certainly have been Royal Navy!
I would strongly recommend investing in another. Outdoor Knitwear would be the obvious source (range of colours) but Silverman’s do them as well in Navy and Army.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I also remember (when I was a young teenager I did several home stays in England) that almost every English kids had one, usually the Army green version.
Probably the sturdier knitwear I ever had, with the Breton Navy knits I mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
I also remember (when I was a young teenager I did several home stays in England) that almost every English kids had one, usually the Army green version.
Probably the sturdier knitwear I ever had, with the Breton Navy knits I mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

They were very much a schoolboy’s item as well as an adult man’s when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s. Many of my friends had them as well. I went to an all-boys’ school with male teachers, many of whom were ex-military and so they wore them as well. For me they remained addictive and so I continue to wear them today and they are my go-to knitwear in Autumn, Winter and early Spring. Of course to some extent this liking for Woolly Pullies reflects my military interests as I have always been interested in the Army and Royal Navy; I studied History and Political Science and so there’s a strong overlap with this.

I did have a Breton Navy sweater years ago and your reference to them makes me think I should get another! I do possess a Guernsey Breton hybrid supplied by Peter Christian; Guersey wool and traditional design but in the classic Breton Navy and White stripes. I shall look back at your Breton sweater post. We clearly both have similar good taste.

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
It is interesting that @Swampster first mentioned the Breton shirts, as the navy ones are really part of my own style, and one of the rare French item in my possession (i mainly wear Brit, American, Japanese stuff).

View attachment 1409548

I just took a picture of the two I own, with the distinctive buttoning on the shoulder. They are very authentic, both were bought in Brittany. The one on the left in Quiberon, the one on the right in the Ile de Batz (Batz Island), a very small island were you can only go by the sea on certain days, as the sea is very dangerous there. There is only one shop on the all island, where they sell almost everything and where i got this pull-over something like 30 years ago. Those are normally sold to the local fishermen, and are really robust.

Ah yes, I know these and had the Navy Blue one years ago. The problem was that I rarely wore it because I preferred to don the Royal Navy Woolly Pully instead - even though I am a Francophile and have Celtic heritage like the Bretons (although mine is Scottish and Irish whereas the Bretons are closer to the Welsh and Cornish).

I have in the past worn a striped Navy and White Breton sweater of similar design and texture to yours. As I mentioned earlier, I have a Guernsey-Breton hybrid (Guernsey wool and design, Breton Navy and White); it is a great sweater that really stands out and epitomises the best of both our nations’ knitwear!

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
@Clouseau: As it is a fairly cool and crisp evening - and no doubt inspired by these discussions- I have put on a Woolly Pully, Royal Navy - the full works with Patches, Shoulder Straps (Epaulettes) and pen holder! I look forward to doing this more regularly as the season progresses.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@Clouseau: As it is a fairly cool and crisp evening - and no doubt inspired by these discussions- I have put on a Woolly Pully, Royal Navy - the full works with Patches, Shoulder Straps (Epaulettes) and pen holder! I look forward to doing this more regularly as the season progresses.
Don’t hesitate to post pictures as this thread is about our « own » looks.
I would wear a Breton knit myself, but it is not cold enough here yet!
Wore a button down shirt and a linen jacket today!
Cheers !

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
7B9BF74F-418E-4C4C-B6C5-D0DEC32D8E99.jpeg
5E816C16-0165-4E11-A580-0A5A7436FD51.jpeg

Tocklishchap

Reaction score
Don’t hesitate to post pictures as this thread is about our « own » looks.
I would wear a Breton knit myself, but it is not cold enough here yet!
Wore a button down shirt and a linen jacket today!
Cheers !

I have just posted a couple of snaps! I hope it has worked as they are my first on this Forum. …
Soon be time for the Breton Knits - and the Guernseys.

Tocklishchap

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads