• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Does anyone ever wear French roundels? I have seen Italian green/white/red on tee shirts but don't recall seeing the French original.
Red on the outside, White, and blue in the center.
Already worn during the French Revolution by the Sans culottes on the Bonnet Phrygien. So I suppose the « cocarde » (you call the target) is a French invention.
Still on all our military planes. But yes rarely worn today, because of the « Nationalist » connotations.

Swampster

Reaction score
Shame that it isn't worn. I think while wearing national symbols in Britain was closely identified with nationalism, the link is less strong now (though I wouldn't claim it is completely broken). Fashion has played a large part in this as has the broader appeal of football.
The British roundel was a deliberate copy/inversion of the French one - originally they used the Union flag on planes but in poor conditions it could look like the German cross.

A bit of There and Then.. :)
IIRC, the revolutionaries added the blue and red of the Paris militia (which has been in use since the middle ages) to the Bourbon white cockade while the king was theoretically still in charge. I think they kept the white as it looks better with it :)

The British cockade from near the start of the 18th century was black. Since this was worn on a black hat, I can't help but thinking why did they bother? It is still worn like that by the Chelsea Pensioners.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not making it to Europe this year but can pause mid-cycle for a snack at local fav Biergarten!

519AF86C-A17C-4C95-97A4-E9F65B4FB9AC.jpeg

Byrone

Reaction score
Winter here, thought this might break up all the summer fits. Been wearing this Issey Miyake Men cotton fleece vest a lot as a layering piece. It's very simple but it works under and sometimes over a lot of pieces well so it gets a lot of wear.

View attachment 1634730
Deets on pants and boots?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Hot today here (and now)

79409444-94F9-4CCB-B1D0-2E4EDC4AF6E0.jpeg
Qlo T-shirt
Schott USNavy repro light Fatigue shorts
Onitsuka Tiger Tai Chi

fit pics welcome Guys !

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously hot here in DC. Cycling back and forth to work then getting longer rides in when I can. Made a 42-miler last weekend. Got some new cycling gear from Rapha and Ornot.

IMG_2861.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads