• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats domestic I assume. Very interesting - most people I know in NSW were avoiding crossing the border as much as possible after all the sudden shutdowns. But it'd make sense if international tourism has been redirected inwards.

SYD on the other hand was totally deserted. I'll try and put some pics here if I find time. You can actually go into departures without a ticket (and the car parks etc.) As they first start checking just before check in, on the side of the booths. However everything is shut down and lit down.

I've been cycling around the airport a lot in 2020 mostly on my way to Kyeemagh beach which is deserted on weekdays and quite stunning on a calm day. There's many spots straight out of blade runner...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
What about practical and light field jackets for Spring/Summer ?

For several years now i wear the Uniqlo U takes on the Type 3 Jungle/Fatigue jackets in poplin.
U Field jacket_opt.jpg
I really like them, and bought them in 3 different colours.

I am now interested with the Buzz Rickson repro of the real thing, it is the Type 1 (pocket buttons are not flyfronted), but the price is steep.
Buzz Rickon Tropical combat jacket 1.jpg

I know Fujito has a modern take on it (quite popular on SF) with poppers instead of buttons (IIRC). But like with the Buzz Rickon, the price is pretty steep...

@cerneabbas brought to my attention the Lands End Cotton/Linen Utility Shirt/Jacket, that looks a bit like a modern take on a Safari Jacket.
lands-end-Natural-Linen-Cotton-Utility-Shirt-Jacket-Men-Size-38-40-Regular-Ivory-By.jpeg

What do you think? Do you have other ideas ?

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the navy version of the Lands End,but I dont know if I would wear it.
I am not sure what trousers or shirt or shoes I would wear with it.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some shots of SYD last flight...

Normally all four screens have flights to the bottom...

1618151550611.png

These queues would last up to an hour on budget airlines. Now, with an incoming flight cap of something like 30 passengers per aircraft, and Australians banned from leaving unless they prove residence abroad, flights are effectively empty. You'll still spend 40 minutes checking in because...

1618151506076.png

... you need to beg Immigration for permission to leave the country. Which means entering this usually super busy "boarding pass holders only" area past the wood wall, walking all the way through the deserted hall where there should be 10 layers of queues, and up to the booth where the immigration officer will verify you do indeed live abroad or aren't Aussie before phoning the airline and manually authorising you to fly. Then you go back to check in (why not) and a second call re-confirms, with you present, and your luggage can finally go through. Remember every person in the queue before you has the same issue.

1618151482041.png

Security is a breeze, though. Of course I got the cotton pad in your bag then the machine treatment. I guess they had nothing else to do.

1618151470489.png

I didn't have many photos of the gates but most looked like this (as you could guess from the first screen). Most of the shops were closed, Heinemann (duty free) is open for business as usual and fully stocked. I had however ran out of time because of aforementioned immigration back and forth.

1618151437595.png

I know this looks like a second rate European airport outside peak hours, but SYD sort of has no peak hours, at least I've never been there and seen it not packed, a bit like LHR. What was freaky was not just the absolute emptiness but seeing it there. Also, usually SYD is full of tourists, but given who is allowed to fly this time everyone we met was a frequent flyer. Very different vibe.

I don't have a photo of the outside dropoff area. It is usually so busy they have security roaming constantly and asking drivers to leave, but we were the only car for a good 3 minutes before another car came behind, neither of us bothered by the clearly bored single security guard. Wonder what the car park is like. I glimpsed it on the way in from the quarantine bus and it looked reasonably full for some reason.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I like the navy version of the Lands End,but I dont know if I would wear it.
I am not sure what trousers or shirt or shoes I would wear with it.
It’s a pretty casual jacket, I think it would look good with jeans and brogues or plains.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got the De Bonne Facture linen shorts in the mail. Really liking their stuff I picked up at NMWA.

28111C48-9179-49E6-8934-F0E52D3C2D21.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Already Shorts weather in DC ? Or is it that the new administration fosters very casual wear ?
Spring here means 15 degree temp changes. A bunch of hot days mixed in with cooler, rainy days.

No idea on Biden Administration casual clothes policy! :fonz:

Swampster

Reaction score
Spring here means 15 degree temp changes. A bunch of hot days mixed in with cooler, rainy days.

No idea on Biden Administration casual clothes policy! :fonz:
This side of the pond we've had an odd spring - went from 24 C to daytime 1 C in less than a week - that's a spread of about 40 degrees F. I gather from the news about frosted vines that France has had similar.
Went from wearing a Baracuta - and not needing it - one day to back in the duffle coat a couple of days later. Did try a light mac as the weather changed but it was far too cold.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hiking pants from De Bonne Facture. Just back from the tailor. Should get lots of use out of these over the summer.

IMG_2334.jpg

Swampster

Reaction score
Weather bright today - warm in the sun but cold in the shade. Went for a walk wearing Barbour Ash cropped jacket and Loake Bedales.
The Barbour has the linings to the sleeves which I have found sweaty when worn with short sleeves underneath but was fine with a sweater. Good combination of keeping out the cold breezes but light enough not to get too hot in the sun.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weather bright today - warm in the sun but cold in the shade. Went for a walk wearing Barbour Ash cropped jacket and Loake Bedales.
The Barbour has the linings to the sleeves which I have found sweaty when worn with short sleeves underneath but was fine with a sweater. Good combination of keeping out the cold breezes but light enough not to get too hot in the sun.
Bright but breezy today. Very brisk on the bridges over the Potomac. Saw some great tulips in the sun and then, for no apparent reason, photographed my cycling watch and post-ride Guinness. Not dressed well enough for a clothes pic!

0E4B7D2B-59C6-46DD-B4F3-EAAEE4A33C02.jpeg
32517B88-669D-45BB-BEBC-3FD24F3AD605.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics