• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been a while! Out and about in NYC with family today. Thought I'd play around with a longer coat. Mask is in pocket and went right back on after the pic. Parts of the city are very empty but it still feels a little weird to be walking around. I'm thinking it might take some time for me to get used to just "going out" without 2nd guessing everything.

View attachment 1568766
Interesting to hear. Not sure if you are saying you personally feel it is weird to be walking around, or that is the general perception of most New Yorkers. I don’t know what the weather is like either. It may be that cold that folks avoid the outdoors. Or it may be that people are generally wary because of health concerns.

I got so bored with lockdown I started getting on trains which are empty outside rush hour. I went to parts of the city I don’t really know and had a mooch around. It will help that the weather is getting more spring-like and the days are longer.

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting to hear. Not sure if you are saying you personally feel it is weird to be walking around, or that is the general perception of most New Yorkers. I don’t know what the weather is like either. It may be that cold that folks avoid the outdoors. Or it may be that people are generally wary because of health concerns.

I got so bored with lockdown I started getting on trains which are empty outside rush hour. I went to parts of the city I don’t really know and had a mooch around. It will help that the weather is getting more spring-like and the days are longer.

100% a personal thing. We were down at the WTC and it was fairly empty, as were the streets in that area. Of course it's also Saturday in the financial district, so that explains a lot. But the Oculus was also pretty deserted. Up around Canal/Lafayette/Broome was a lot busier, with many of the restaurants doing decent traffic in the sidewalk seating areas.

I mean it more like I've built up some kind of "radar" so I don't feel like I can let me guard down. It's not like it's some paralyzing fear or anything like that. More like reaching for something in a store and then stopping and asking myself "Do I really need to touch that?". Or even wondering if I need to go into that store in the first place. It doesn't help that I'm also watching over my 10 year old son. So lots of "get your mask back on" and "don't touch your face" and "where's the hand sanitizer?". I'd probably feel a little more relaxed if I was flying solo. But even still I think it's going to take time before I stop feeling like every action needs to be processed on a sliding scale of "Safe/Not Safe".

I think things are improving, but we're not nearly out of the woods yet and more and more people are acting like masks are enough and we don't need to worry about doing all that other stuff.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought a pair of Klemon Padror in Bordeaux colour. Probably run of the mill footwear for state employees in France - but I like them.

They are handy for knocking around in. I have suede Wallabees so I like the style which many may not. Wallabees in leather are not as good as the suede ones.

The Klemons look nicer than Paraboot Michael in my opinion and don’t have a tab attached to the outside of the shoe which I cannot abide. Also a fraction of the cost of Paraboot.

Regarding French shoes, Bexley used to be excellent - calf leather uppers, decent styles and Goodyear welt. Soles might not be so good - but they told you in the shop to add rubber soles. Now it seems Bexley don’t offer Goodyear welt anymore. Loding used to be a similar but more expensive chain.
I have the Paraboot Michaels and they are really nice leather.
I also have a pair of Mephisto Goodyear welt plain Derby's with the Mephisto sole they are very comfortable.
I also have a pair of Heschung shoes that are very good quality.
I have some Bexley Goodyear welted longwings,nice shoe but the sole could be thicker (or Dainite).

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I have the Paraboot Michaels and they are really nice leather.
I also have a pair of Mephisto Goodyear welt plain Derby's with the Mephisto sole they are very comfortable.
I also have a pair of Heschung shoes that are very good quality.
I have some Bexley Goodyear welted longwings,nice shoe but the sole could be thicker (or Dainite).
Yes Heschung is an interesting French brand too, the Thuya model (a kind of high end version of the Paraboot Michael) deserves to be mentioned, and has numerous aficionados at StyleForum.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Gilles Winter.jpeg

Guys, I posted this in the Challenge, it has been taken by a friend who has the last iPhone, i don't understand why when i post it here it looses most of its definition/resolution ? Is there a way to post the picture in it's real quality ?

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes Heschung is an interesting French brand too, the Thuya model (a kind of high end version of the Paraboot Michael) deserves to be mentioned, and has numerous aficionados at StyleForum.

I have lusted after Heschung Gingkos for years but can't justify the rrp, and the best makeups never go on sale. Am not certain they are 600 euro boots. Eh, maybe they are and I'm just cheap...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1569674
Guys, I posted this in the Challenge, it has been taken by a friend who has the last iPhone, i don't understand why when i post it here it looses most of its definition/resolution ? Is there a way to post the picture in it's real quality ?
I think Styleforum compresses the image. Maybe lighten it up until it's too bright on the phone then see what happens to it when you upload here?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I think Styleforum compresses the image. Maybe lighten it up until it's too bright on the phone then see what happens to it when you upload here?
Thanks mate. I don't think it will change the quality, i noticed some guys post pictures in another way, probably for that reason, but i don't know how they do (or if it would change something...). Too bad as really it can't compare with the original.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads