• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I like the Loafers but I prefer the shape of the black Brogues,looking at the Brogue detail on the toes I am thinking C&J ?
I much prefer the penny loafers too. (I know you prefer them with beefrolls though)

Here are the Bowen Oake
Bowen.jpg

And the emblematic JM Weston 180 for comparison
JM180.jpg

As you can see the design and detailing is very close (with the distinctive - and not to the taste of all - apron stitching)

The Bowens are half the price of the 180s and the dainite soles are more practical than leather IMO.
Of course the 180s are top notch, i had a pair in the time.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Dolomites are beautiful, marvellous mountains. I was addressed in German - presumably because my complexion is closer to Austrian than Italian.

Would love to go back there. Last time in Italy was on the other side - Sestriere - which is not as pretty as the Dolomites.

Our pre-covid February holiday winter routine: Fly into Milan from Paris early Saturday, pick up rental car, lunch in Verona, espresso and get to Val Gardena by 5. Ski/eat brains out for a week, then overnight in Verona or Milan, fly back to Paris on Sunday afternoon...

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our pre-covid February holiday winter routine: Fly into Milan from Paris early Saturday, pick up rental car, lunch in Verona, espresso and get to Val Gardena by 5. Ski/eat brains out for a week, then overnight in Verona or Milan, fly back to Paris on Sunday afternoon...
Out of curiosity why fly? TGV gets you to Turin in 6h or Milan in 7, without having to deal with CDG (and getting to/from CDG)...

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity why fly? TGV gets you to Turin in 6h or Milan in 7, without having to deal with CDG (and getting to/from CDG)...
35 minutes to cdg from our home, easyJet is dirt cheap to malpensa or Linate. Tgv would mean a very long day of traveling.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
The spring summer Uniqlo +J collab collection to be released soon. Nothing really catches the eye IMO, it looks a lot like Qlo basic stuff, apart the +J Bomber (i think it's in cotton), i like the punk look with the zippers.
Should appeal to our cyberpunk friend @xeoniq...
I might get one this time as i am looking for a cotton bomber for a while, and this one is "different"...

+J Bomber Black.jpg

+J Bomber Navy.jpg

xeoniq

Reaction score
Yea, the longer trench, though the short jacket isn't bad either. I think I like all the outers except maybe the bomber and the hooded sweatshirt that has a short zip. Those two look a bit cheap to me somehow. Nice collection anyway, a lot better than UU has been in a long time.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Yea, the longer trench, though the short jacket isn't bad either. I think I like all the outers except maybe the bomber and the hooded sweatshirt that has a short zip. Those two look a bit cheap to me somehow. Nice collection anyway, a lot better than UU has been in a long time.
Maybe you’re right. I will wait to see the Bomber and the other items «in the flesh»...

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought a pair of Klemon Padror in Bordeaux colour. Probably run of the mill footwear for state employees in France - but I like them.

They are handy for knocking around in. I have suede Wallabees so I like the style which many may not. Wallabees in leather are not as good as the suede ones.

The Klemons look nicer than Paraboot Michael in my opinion and don’t have a tab attached to the outside of the shoe which I cannot abide. Also a fraction of the cost of Paraboot.

Regarding French shoes, Bexley used to be excellent - calf leather uppers, decent styles and Goodyear welt. Soles might not be so good - but they told you in the shop to add rubber soles. Now it seems Bexley don’t offer Goodyear welt anymore. Loding used to be a similar but more expensive chain.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Bought a pair of Klemon Padror in Bordeaux colour. Probably run of the mill footwear for state employees in France - but I like them.

They are handy for knocking around in. I have suede Wallabees so I like the style which many may not. Wallabees in leather are not as good as the suede ones.

The Klemons look nicer than Paraboot Michael in my opinion and don’t have a tab attached to the outside of the shoe which I cannot abide. Also a fraction of the cost of Paraboot.

Regarding French shoes, Bexley used to be excellent - calf leather uppers, decent styles and Goodyear welt. Soles might not be so good - but they told you in the shop to add rubber soles. Now it seems Bexley don’t offer Goodyear welt anymore. Loding used to be a similar but more expensive chain.
Just had a look online at the Padror, they look nice and exist in a lot of material/colours.
I prefer the Paraboot Michaels though. I have a pair for at least 20 years and they seem indestructible.
Never bought Bexley shoes but they seem good (@cerneabbas has some) like Loding, Finsbury is a good « average/middle range » brand too.
I really like the Mephisto Rainbow I bought last year. Incredibly comfy and I am getting used to their weird style (which many may not like too!). Like the Padror they exist in a vast range of material and colours. You can find them in London, you should try a pair.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out and about in Belvest overcoat, Paul Stuart flannel shirt and Levi’s (my one pair of jeans). Weather turns in a few days so the endless bike rides begin soon!
9ABE6E6E-A0A5-4230-B38A-1CE791D1C03C.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Favorite shoe store here in DC has a sale that includes some Crockett & Jones models. My old AE Liverpool Chelsea boots finally wore out. I had them refurbished once but there weren't holding up very well. AE has certainly decreased in quality over the years and I'm giving up on them. Grabbed a pair of C&J Lingfield dress Chelseas. They work very well with tailoring or casual.

1615070596502.png

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been a while! Out and about in NYC with family today. Thought I'd play around with a longer coat. Mask is in pocket and went right back on after the pic. Parts of the city are very empty but it still feels a little weird to be walking around. I'm thinking it might take some time for me to get used to just "going out" without 2nd guessing everything.

PXL_20210306_201803294.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads