• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Swampster

Reaction score
Me too of course, but they are particularly nice to watch in Italia, imho...
I've usually been to Italy in August, so most of the locals seem to be out of town and the girls to look at are tourists!
When we were in Verona, the place was virtually empty, apart from the crowds around 'Juliet's' balcony.

Last edited:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About Brogues I guess the C&J Pembroke are the best quality although Edward Green made a nice one I am not sure if they are making them now.
These are Alfred Sargents and they are very nice,not C&J but they were less than half the price of the Pembroke. View attachment 1566587

I do like the Vibram soled black grain Pembroke but at my age and with as many pairs of Brogues as I have its difficult to justify buying a pair at that price and then to rarely wear them.
Cerneabbas, are you aware Alfred Sargent are currently in liquidation? Hopefully a Phoenix will emerge from the ashes. They were never the easiest shoes to source.

I agree about buying more shoes. I would initially just like to see the colours I mentioned in a shop; maybe pickup the shoes too. I do have more than enough shoes but things catch your eye.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Cerneabbas, are you aware Alfred Sargent are currently in liquidation? Hopefully a Phoenix will emerge from the ashes. They were never the easiest shoes to source.

I agree about buying more shoes. I would initially just like to see the colours I mentioned in a shop; maybe pickup the shoes too. I do have more than enough shoes but things catch your eye.
Alfred Sargent is (was?) owned by the French brand Bowen AFAIK that has a lot of their shoes made by them. I didn’t know the brand was in liquidation now.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I saw the Pembroke in the C&J shop in Jermyn St I dont know how many of the colours they would have there or if they would stock Cordovan.

Yes I read that AS are having problems but I also read that the factory will stay open,lets hope thats true.
Tredders sometimes have AS and I think that Pediwear have them too (I will have a look).

I have been thinking about taking a trip to Northampton when things open up,I would like to look at the C&J seconds.

btw End clothing have the Trickers longwings in black or brown grain reduced to £289 from over £400.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
A good read. Makes me think I should buy a pair of Bowen Penny Loafers (made by Alfred Sargent) with Dainite soles while they are still available. (They are really nice and look a lot like the JM Weston 180, but with Dainite - I mentioned them before.)

Swampster

Reaction score

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
An interesting follow up - https://shoegazing.com/2021/02/22/interview-paul-sargent-of-alfred-sargent/
A successor company is in the pipeline.
Very interesting. I am curious about that mysterious Brit Company who bought them...
I confirm Bowen has shoes made in other countries, mainly Italy I think.
Like they say in the article the ones made by AS are branded « AS for Bowen » and they are very nice. I was also tempted by Brogues/Dainite but they are in burgundy and I have already several shoes in that colour.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1614804138229.png

I would take these with Dainite or Commando soles

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads