• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well it happens that on that picture i wear those black items all together, but i also wear them all with other clothes, they are all pretty versatile (and comfy)... apart maybe the boots that TBH i have for a lot of time and don't wear often (to say the least).
Separates would allow the individual items to stand out more. All black if you want to be incognito.
If the boots are uncomfortable or awkward to put on, you could try lock laces which makes them easier to use.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked total black, but recently I try and add some texture, both in cloth and in patterns, to make it less striking.
Also, cold enough to grant the use of a hat.

20201204_125001.jpg

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Separates would allow the individual items to stand out more. All black if you want to be incognito.
If the boots are uncomfortable or awkward to put on, you could try lock laces which makes them easier to use.
The boots are comfy, it's just that they are not really my style anymore. I like the ankle height though, and i intend to buy some ankle height Brogue boots (not easy to find, usually they are higher on the leg) in the future...

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool bomber, thought it was a Buzz Rickson William Gibson at first. Very hot here right now, just looking at it is making me sweat. Wool trousers might look cool with that look as well, to suit the button up.

You're right! It's the William Gibson Buzz Rickson L-2B which is the MA-1 without the lining so it's much lighter. I'm in Melbourne but heading out to the country for lunch where it's 14°C.

xeoniq

Reaction score
14C sounds good. It's over 30C in Surfers right now. I used to have one of those bombers, I liked the brown/charcoal trim details on the arm sleeve. Little touches like that helped separate it from just a plain old black nylon bomber imo.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Not sure if I would wear all black but this is close:
4ee485b3b2c715ecfb733a74cb36ede000eadc1d.jpg

I really like this look Gerry. True, the detailing of the Buzz are great.

I kept a black MA-1 for years.
Here and Yesterday, a younger me in 1990...

RS_opt-2.jpg

It was a Made In USA Alpha MA-1. The quality was really good, you can't compare with contemporary Alpha stuff.
Sadly this is true with a lot of stuff/brands now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads