• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Byrone

Reaction score
Sugar Cane.jpg

Sugar Cane

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is politics. Rather education.
And i started this thread BTW.
Sorry, I didn't know that this was your thread, it was a pleasure to participate but I prefer to leave now.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't know that this was your thread, it was a pleasure to participate but I prefer to leave now.
It is not "my" thread but you don't have to tell anyone what he has to write or not. You are not a moderator. You were welcome to participate you are welcome to leave.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Jeans collec.jpg

Actual jeans collection, all had some wear, most are selvedge. If i prefer the three "historical" brands, i am always looking for original ones from those brands that stand out of the crowd.

2 Wranglers (1 black, 1 raw)
1 Uniqlo Japan (black, raw)
2 Lee Riders Japan (1952 repro, sanforized)
1 Lee Riders Europe (1959 repro, raw)
1 Lee 101z
1 Lee Blake
1 Paul Smith (indigo)
3 501s (1 sky, 1 black, 1 raw)
1 LVC 551zxx

Swampster

Reaction score
My jeans are very much run of the mill every day high street versions of Levis - a few pairs of 501s and at least one pair of 751s. My ignorance of the finer points of denim might show if I say that until a couple of years ago I was only familiar with 'selvedge' from things like 2nd century AD Judean textiles, not modern denim.
I added a couple of pairs of classic Wranglers to the mix about 18 months ago and promptly dropped enough weight to go down at least one size, so if I wear them they end up rucked up around my waist - not a good look. On the plus side, I had some older Levis which I hadn't bothered to get rid off which I can now fit into again. This included my only black pair which I had hardly worn.

I've always tended to roll up the bottom of my jeans rather than get them properly turned up or hemmed. My legs are on the short side so I can't buy them to fit but I think I would probably roll them anyway. Partly habit, partly it is what I associate with jeans and, since I've been wearing boots more often again, it is handy for adjusting the length if I want to.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
My jeans are very much run of the mill every day high street versions of Levis - a few pairs of 501s and at least one pair of 751s.
From the late 1970s to the early 2000s i only wore Levi's 501s.
Then i wanted to change, so i tried a few other brands (Uniqlo, GU, Muji, Paul Smith, Wrangler, and Lee). Then i went back to Levi's that i wear mainly today with Lees. Funny thing i still wear the same size since my teens - but if at the time i liked them wide, now they are pretty fitted ! :-D

Byrone

Reaction score
Then i wanted to change, so i tried a few other brands (Uniqlo, GU, Muji, Paul Smith, Wrangler, and Lee). Then i went back to Levi's that i wear mainly today with Lees. Funny thing i still wear the same size since my teens - but if at the time i liked them wide, now they are pretty fitted ! :-D
i was a 501 guy too, until i discovered the Sugar Cane 1947... said to be a true reproduction of a Levi's 1947 501 !

Swampster

Reaction score
I was a very skinny teen so I wouldn’t stand a chance of wearing the same size in jeans.
Early jeans I think were Brutus and Wranglers, including some white ones. Since then it has mainly been Levi’s. I often do tasks in them which end up with them getting shabby, so I don’t want to spend a great deal on them.

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on hats?

As a pale guy living in the tropics for 20 years, I had some fun times with skin cancer on my face and forearms. Nothing too serious but I'm not in a hurry to add any more surgery scars.

So 99% of the time that I'm outside I'm wearing a hat (and several layers of sunblock). Baseball caps get the job done but obviously won't work in every situation. And I just don't have the attitude to pull off a Panama, trilby or fedora. Which leaves me with flatcaps.

I've been experimenting more with different styles and shapes to find one I like best. But so far this wool/cashmere Stetson is my favorite
PXL_20201124_172553383.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Thoughts on hats?

As a pale guy living in the tropics for 20 years, I had some fun times with skin cancer on my face and forearms. Nothing too serious but I'm not in a hurry to add any more surgery scars.

So 99% of the time that I'm outside I'm wearing a hat (and several layers of sunblock). Baseball caps get the job done but obviously won't work in every situation. And I just don't have the attitude to pull off a Panama, trilby or fedora. Which leaves me with flatcaps.

I've been experimenting more with different styles and shapes to find one I like best. But so far this wool/cashmere Stetson is my favorite
View attachment 1503830

Definitely flatcaps for me too, but not for the same reasons as i wear them when it's raining or cold.
Just took a picture of my (small) collection, it's the evening here, so poor lighting.
Caps.jpg

From left to right :
Barbour (waxed cotton)
Uniqlo (bought in Japan, wool, Blackwatch tartan)
John Hanly & co (Tweed,very old Irish company, not sure it still exist, top quality)
Failsworth (waxed cotton)

A (almost) better shot of the Blackwatch one
Blackwatch cap.jpg

Baseball caps are not for me, only Americans can get away with it IMO, for summer i have a very basic bucket hat, a Brooks Brothers one is on my wishlist for a while.
brooks-brothers-tan-poplin-bucket-hat.jpeg

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on hats?

View attachment 1503830
Hello from 'straya. Sorry to hear about the surgeries. From personal experience in this roasting pit of a country there is nothing much you can do that will look stylish. You need the broad brim hat (Clouseau's examples are not wide enough for chin and neck), and wraparound sunnies (to block the light coming in from the sides). Neither really fits in town. I have a few large brim cotton hiking hats that I take out if shade is not an option. They can discreetly be folded back up in a pocket once no longer needed.

Additionally polo shirts provide great cover for the bottom of the neck, regardless of hat, even if pique can be a bit warm for the tropics. Uniqlo had this fantastic Airism polo collection, really light supima-like cotton blend in neutral colours, which worked better. Of course it's now out of stock...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads