• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got mixed feelings about Stan Ray.
It's first a brand of real work wear i think ? But here it became fashionable for a few years. I saw their clobber in a department store the other day, and they seem to try now to hit a larger audience, with clothing quite far from what they did originally.
I do like their fatigue trousers and their fatigue shorts, but don't have any.

Stan Ray was basically like Dickies was 30 years ago: solid workwear(though Dickies was always of better quality. Those Stan Ray jungle greens were probably $15 a pop ten years ago... then all of a sudden they’re $40-50-60... and they started making all sorts of non-workwear items with giant logos(rugby shirts, etc.). Really odd they went from cheap, throwaway workwear to chic streetwear with the price tag to match.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Stan Ray was basically like Dickies was 30 years ago: solid workwear(though Dickies was always of better quality. Those Stan Ray jungle greens were probably $15 a pop ten years ago... then all of a sudden they’re $40-50-60... and they started making all sorts of non-workwear items with giant logos(rugby shirts, etc.). Really odd they went from cheap, throwaway workwear to chic streetwear with the price tag to match.
Yep, same thing happened with Carhartt. I remember it was an unknown brand here in the 90s, selling very cheap but sturdy jeans. Then it became suddenly (at least here) a kind of trendy Streetwear - Hip Hop brand making all sorts of terrible garments.

Swampster

Reaction score
Well Luigi i had tried the shirt in the Fred Perry shop last year, so i knew it was a good fit (size 46 for this one). i am usually lucky with the shirts i buy, as the fit is usually correct (collar, chest, sleeves length) in RtW, now some brands work better than others. As i am tall indeed, US brands work well for me ( i prefer Gitman Vintage and Gant). With European brands it is more difficult, but this FP sizing is really good for me.
My neck, arm length and body length all seem to belong to different people. I normally find sleeves too long. Ben Sherman tend to have the best fit for me unless I buy something like CT where I can choose the arm length.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1603996596613.png

Saw these in a sale online and I think that they would make great winter boots.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received a Fred Perry "reissues" OCBD i ordered two days ago, €39 instead of €130.
I didn't buy it when it was in the store because i found the price steep, but at this price, and with an almost invisible tonal logo...
It's a classic OCBD with a nice "3 fingers" collar that will probably have a nice roll, and it's got all the detailing you can expect (back collar button, box pleat, locker loop, side gussets...) Made in Portugal.

View attachment 1486505
(just out of the package so a bit crumple)
I have one of these and I really rate them,there was a pale blue one but I could never find one in my size,I think that they should have made a range of these in plain pastel colours SS and LS.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I have one of these and I really rate them,there was a pale blue one but I could never find one in my size,I think that they should have made a range of these in plain pastel colours SS and LS.

I am also quite impressed with the material, thick and "crispy".

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1486768
Saw these in a sale online and I think that they would make great winter boots.
They do look nice. Eight hole.

I prefer to try boots on first though. It can be awkward.

Best piece of advice I ever got on Styleforum was lock laces. I can now wear my 9 hole Veldtschoen boots without spending all day putting them on or taking them off.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That price is insane for AS. I just paid only £20 less for my Solovair! And they will be in a different league. If I needed a brown boot and they had my size...
I thought that the original price was reasonable but as you say the sale price is nuts.
I had the same thought when comparing AS quality to some of the expensive and inferior stuff that I see for sale.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do look nice. Eight hole.

I prefer to try boots on first though. It can be awkward.

Best piece of advice I ever got on Styleforum was lock laces. I can now wear my 9 hole Veldtschoen boots without spending all day putting them on or taking them off.
The best piece of advice that I ever received on Styleforum was that I should **** off from another thread,I was going anyway but the bonus is that I doubt that particular individual can now come and post on here !

On the subject of Veldtschoen there seem to be very few shoemakers making them now, Cheaney,Alfred Sargent,Grenson and Crockett and Jones.
In the past George Webb,Lotus and Tecnics were famous for their Veldtschoen but they are long gone.
Cheaney and AS offerings now look very traditional,Grenson are a bit different (tbh I dont like their look) and the C&J Snowdon looks more up to date imo.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best piece of advice that I ever received on Styleforum was that I should **** off from another thread,I was going anyway but the bonus is that I doubt that particular individual can now come and post on here !

On the subject of Veldtschoen there seem to be very few shoemakers making them now, Cheaney,Alfred Sargent,Grenson and Crockett and Jones.
In the past George Webb,Lotus and Tecnics were famous for their Veldtschoen but they are long gone.
Cheaney and AS offerings now look very traditional,Grenson are a bit different (tbh I dont like their look) and the C&J Snowdon looks more up to date imo.
Some - but not all - versions of the Edward Green Galway boot are also Veldtschoen. They cost a pretty penny though.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some - but not all - versions of the Edward Green Galway boot are also Veldtschoen. They cost a pretty penny though.
I wonder if all the shoemakers who have Veldtschoen boots make them themselves or send them to one factory to have them made ?
I will checkout the Edward Green Galway,the C&J Snowdon that I saw were £550 (I think). tbh the AS boots from Tredders although not Veldtschoen would probably be more than good enough for me,and at that price I would be happy enough.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if all the shoemakers who have Veldtschoen boots make them themselves or send them to one factory to have them made ?
I will checkout the Edward Green Galway,the C&J Snowdon that I saw were £550 (I think). tbh the AS boots from Tredders although not Veldtschoen would probably be more than good enough for me,and at that price I would be happy enough.
Double the C&J price and then some.

Even their factory shop/sale prices are high now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads