• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
There was a film set this morning in my neighborhood, it gave me a nice background for my entry picture in the Friday Challenge (it was probably the best day to take that picture, as it seems we are on the eve of a new lockdown here) :
Quite "Here and yesterday"...
(BTW i wear a Failsworth cap, Merc London "Lord John" coat, dark red PS, Brutus OCBD, Arnys cashmere jumper, Merc London Sta Prest, and Church's Burwood - with unseen argyle socks)

The more beautiful old car was this one IMO
Car 1.jpg

A moment later, in a nearby street, i saw this other car that reminded me that i was "Here and now"...
Car 2.jpg

Keep the entries coming Guys...

tbrock

Reaction score
Not a post for any challenge but I haven't been thinking about style much lately. 100% WFH (work from home) looking set to stay forever and since my home office is in the attic, it's all about re-assessing what I wear. No more GYW shoes required (at desk anyway) and no more trousers, shirts or suits.

I haven't gone 'athleisure' (shudder) but I have been looking at pieces more suitable to my new surroundings. And moving away from 'country' fits (cords/cashmere shawls/brown boots and brogues).

On that note I was re-watching Ronin last week and some of the outfits really stood out to me, in that they were pretty classic and had aged really well (Reno and De Niro particularly). Now, De Niro I couldn't replicate. Wouldn't want to. But the costume Jean Reno wore really stood out to me for being simple, classic, urban. Very practical for a town or city in winter, regardless of whether you are shooting Russians or procuring obscure items.
jeanreno2.jpg
jeanreno.jpg

So I set about slimming down the fits and turning it anglo, or at least trying. Haven't found suitable rugged trousers, so settled with jeans. Got some new 6 eye Solovair derby boots (black pebble). Wanted to get Smedley knits for the roll neck and l/s knitted polo. Turns out Smedley don't do XS any more, or at least not in the colour and models I wanted and their small is pretty big. Hell, their XS isn't that small. So went with Uniqlo fine merino models, which my wallet thanked me for. Same for the beanie, went with Uniqlo heattech. So, in the end, British made coat, boots and belt. Ah well, I tried.
IMG_20201028_142042.jpg
Sadly I'm all out of Romeo y Julieta puritos to complete the look. And sadder still, I've got a VW instead of an Audi. I did have a 90s Peugeot at one point...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Not a post for any challenge but I haven't been thinking about style much lately. 100% WFH (work from home) looking set to stay forever and since my home office is in the attic, it's all about re-assessing what I wear. No more GYW shoes required (at desk anyway) and no more trousers, shirts or suits.

I haven't gone 'athleisure' (shudder) but I have been looking at pieces more suitable to my new surroundings. And moving away from 'country' fits (cords/cashmere shawls/brown boots and brogues).

On that note I was re-watching Ronin last week and some of the outfits really stood out to me, in that they were pretty classic and had aged really well (Reno and De Niro particularly). Now, De Niro I couldn't replicate. Wouldn't want to. But the costume Jean Reno wore really stood out to me for being simple, classic, urban. Very practical for a town or city in winter, regardless of whether you are shooting Russians or procuring obscure items. View attachment 1485894 View attachment 1485895

So I set about slimming down the fits and turning it anglo, or at least trying. Haven't found suitable rugged trousers, so settled with jeans. Got some new 6 eye Solovair derby boots (black pebble). Wanted to get Smedley knits for the roll neck and l/s knitted polo. Turns out Smedley don't do XS any more, or at least not in the colour and models I wanted and their small is pretty big. Hell, their XS isn't that small. So went with Uniqlo fine merino models, which my wallet thanked me for. Same for the beanie, went with Uniqlo heattech. So, in the end, British made coat, boots and belt. Ah well, I tried.
View attachment 1485897
Sadly I'm all out of Romeo y Julieta puritos to complete the look. And sadder still, I've got a VW instead of an Audi. I did have a 90s Peugeot at one point...
Great look!

"You ever kill anyone?"
"I hurt somebody's feelings once."

Speaking of what... i've never been a great fan of Barbour waxed jackets. (The only Barbour waxed item i have is a cap) But i confess a certain interest for the "Beacon" (the one Bond wears in Skyfall, you can also see #dadcore sporting one in an inspo pic of the Challenge's OP).
I guess i mainly like the blazer style. I tried one in a shop yesterday, nice cut but i definitely don't like the material... Too "country" for an urban guy like me. Even worse, a Parisian !

Daniel-Craig-Skyfall.jpg

tbrock

Reaction score
I love the look of waxed cotton as it ages. Gets such a great patina. Good for layering too. The factory isn't far from me, so I feel obligated to have one. And great pockets for shooting. Not actually great as a waterproof, unless you're conscientious about rewaxing.

Sadly they only make two models here now, I believe. I'd buy more otherwise, but I refuse to pay the same prices for different models produced by labour that has cost the company 1/50th as much.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the look of waxed cotton as it ages. Gets such a great patina. Good for layering too. The factory isn't far from me, so I feel obligated to have one. And great pockets for shooting. Not actually great as a waterproof, unless you're conscientious about rewaxing.

Sadly they only make two models here now, I believe. I'd buy more otherwise, but I refuse to pay the same prices for different models produced by labour that has cost the company 1/50th as much.
For the wet British winters Barbours are good,Paris in my experience seems to get colder dryer days in the winter than we get here in south west England.
My wool overcoats hardly ever get worn whereas Clouseau probably gets good use from his Crombies and Lodens.
I have got five Barbour jackets but only the Ashby and the Sapper that are the more traditional looking waxed cotton,even then its not the heavy waxed 'proper' material.
Two are in heavy cotton (not waxed) and one is lightweight nylon cagoule.
I think that out of the five most people would only pick the Ashby out as a Barbour,the Barbour range is so big now but sadly as has been said most is no longer made here and probably the quality is no longer what it once was...like so many other items we have spoken about.
There are more waterproof jackets about and warmer jackets too if you are spending a lot of time in the rain, I like Goretex better than waxed cotton.

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of what... i've never been a great fan of Barbour waxed jackets. (The only Barbour waxed item i have is a cap) But i confess a certain interest for the "Beacon" (the one Bond wears in Skyfall, you can also see #dadcore sporting one in an inspo pic of the Challenge's OP).
I guess i mainly like the blazer style. I tried one in a shop yesterday, nice cut but i definitely don't like the material... Too "country" for an urban guy like me. Even worse, a Parisian !

View attachment 1485982
I actually have that jacket (well, the Commander Dept B which was the first re-release) and love it. But it is definitely not a traditional Barbour cut. Higher armholes and a smaller chest. So a more "tailored" look, as you said.

Was actually thinking of using another blazer style Barbour (Beauly) for the Friday contest.

PXL_20201028_172546776.PORTRAIT-02.ORIGINAL~2.jpg

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1603908925466.png

This is an Austrian army Gore tex M65, there are some for sale on Ebay new/unissued quite cheap (in fact very cheap for Goretex).
I have asked for a translation of the size given,but if it is in my size I think that I might give this a try.
I expect that it might want altering slightly,there is a badge on the sleeve that would be removed and the velcro on the chest.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I just received a Fred Perry "reissues" OCBD i ordered two days ago, €39 instead of €130.
I didn't buy it when it was in the store because i found the price steep, but at this price, and with an almost invisible tonal logo...
It's a classic OCBD with a nice "3 fingers" collar that will probably have a nice roll, and it's got all the detailing you can expect (back collar button, box pleat, locker loop, side gussets...) Made in Portugal.

FP OCBD.jpg

(just out of the package so a bit crumple)

tbrock

Reaction score
I've found the quality of Portuguese made shirts and knitwear really phenomenal. Seems like a bargain.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I've found the quality of Portuguese made shirts and knitwear really phenomenal. Seems like a bargain.
Yes i think it is a bargain !
FP OCBD 1.jpg

I've already got several FP polos MiPortugal, and the quality is almost as good as the MiE ones. FP also have some stuff MiItaly that is very good, but most of their numbers are now MiChina and well... Sadly the same problem you mentioned with Barbour, that is true with most brands now.

Last edited:

Byrone

Reaction score
I just received a Fred Perry "reissues" OCBD i ordered two days ago, €39 instead of €130.
I didn't buy it when it was in the store because i found the price steep, but at this price, and with an almost invisible tonal logo...
It's a classic OCBD with a nice "3 fingers" collar that will probably have a nice roll, and it's got all the detailing you can expect (back collar button, box pleat, locker loop, side gussets...) Made in Portugal.

View attachment 1486505
(just out of the package so a bit crumple)
Nice stuff. Reminds me of a Stan Ray OCBD (i posted a pic a while ago) that also has correct detailing. Much wider fit though.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I've got mixed feelings about Stan Ray.
It's first a brand of real work wear i think ? But here it became fashionable for a few years. I saw their clobber in a department store the other day, and they seem to try now to hit a larger audience, with clothing quite far from what they did originally.
I do like their fatigue trousers and their fatigue shorts, but don't have any.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes i think it is a bargain !
Then, after forking out the money, you went beyond the cash desk uttering 'eurōōōōō' (as a Kendo practitioner you know what I mean ...)

How do you manage the sleeves lenght? I think I'm not as tall and slim as you, but always struggle to have sleeves long enough on rtw shirts (or, if I get long sleeves, get collars and bust large enough to swim in).

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Then, after forking out the money, you went beyond the cash desk uttering 'eurōōōōō' (as a Kendo practitioner you know what I mean ...)

How do you manage the sleeves lenght? I think I'm not as tall and slim as you, but always struggle to have sleeves long enough on rtw shirts (or, if I get long sleeves, get collars and bust large enough to swim in).
Well Luigi i had tried the shirt in the Fred Perry shop last year, so i knew it was a good fit (size 46 for this one). i am usually lucky with the shirts i buy, as the fit is usually correct (collar, chest, sleeves length) in RtW, now some brands work better than others. As i am tall indeed, US brands work well for me ( i prefer Gitman Vintage and Gant). With European brands it is more difficult, but this FP sizing is really good for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads