• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I'd say "Thank you" for your comments, gentlemen, but unfortunately I can't take any credit for the jacket designs. :-D

I really like both jackets, but wear them in different contexts. I think the G9 style (the one I'm wearing in my feeble attempt to imitate McQueen is actually an old Nordstrom jacket; more on that below) looks better when combined with other "classic" menswear pieces: wider chinos, ocbds with lighter weight sweaters, etc. That blue one is definitely a more modern interpretation and (for me) comes across as almost tailored athletic wear. For some reason I can't put my finger on, I just don't like the way it works with collared shirts or trousers with a fuller cut. Not saying someone else couldn't pull off the look, but I can't seem to do it.

As for that iconic G9 style: I also own an original Baracuta G9 and a G4. As much as I like the idea of owning the original MiE jacket, I just find the cut of the G9 to be too full for me. Given that it was originally designed as a golf jacket, I totally understand the reasoning behind the fuller cut. But I just feel like I have a bunch of fabric flapping around my arms and waist when I wear it and that "ballooning" is just amplified by the knit cuffs and hem. I can totally see how the style works better on someone taller like @Clouseau (you do wear it well, sir!). But I come dangerously close to looking like I'm about to head to a park bench to feed the pigeons. So I reach for the Nordstrom version instead, which has a slightly trimmer cut and higher armholes.

Long story short, I guess I'm at the point where I'm less worried about trying to desperately fit my body into a particular piece just because it's "the ORIGINAL BRAND!!!" and more focused on finding the jacket that works best for me. I know enough about clothing to identify when something is well made, and that Nordstrom comes from an era when companies still invested in quality materials and construction. So it gets the job done.

When I do feel the need to go with "the original" and flash the tartan, I reach for my Baracuta G4. Trimmer cut and I like being able to play around with the fit using the side adjusters.

Cheers!

Edit: @Swampster that's a hell of a deal you got on the G9! Congratulations! I know that Baracuta has modified the cut over the years, gradually becoming slimmer and slimmer. So, after saying everything I said above about the G9 fit not really working for me, I should probably give their latest version a shot.
Yes the old Baracuta's fit was more blousy (they are still doing this fit, now called "original fit"), but the contemporary version is more fitted (like the one i wore on my Challenge entry). The best fit to my liking though (i know others like @Botolph think the same) was the so called "slimfit" version they did before the firm was bought by Lavori.
That's the one i wear on this picture :

baracuta MIB.jpg

As it happens the last Challenge turned into a G9 fight as the guys on the podium all tried to reenact the Baracuta drawing.
I have to say that my favourite entries were the ones by @Inkss, @An Acute Style, @smittycl, and @JohnAAG though.
The poll just ended, i won this one, thanks for the votes guys, i will come with a new proposition for a Challenge sooner or later...

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on the win! Well deserved! I completely forgot about needing to stitch together my photo with the "inspiration" photo for my entry. Without the McQueen photo for comparison, I think I just came across as a goofy catalog model circa 1975 in my entry! :rotflmao:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
...John
[/QUOTE]
Not at all John. Yours was a very nice inspiration and i only used the pictures "attached" to drawings for the poll, otherwise single pictures like yours.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations for your win Inspector!
Now there comes the hard part for you ... starting another contest as much interesting and funny as that one :bounce2:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Well @Luigi_M i hope so !
Here it is...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this challenge could be very interesting,ok I really like Brogues but it is the casual aspect that interests me as I seem to wear casual clothes most of the time now with occasional 'smart casual' days and very rarely smart (as in suit and tie).

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I went to the shop called Jinji today (mentioned it before, only top notch stuff). They had just received A1 flight jackets repros by the Real McCoy's. How's the fit ?

Real McCoys A1 2.jpg

Quick shot taken by the saleswoman with my phone, sorry for the poor quality.
The quality of this jacket is unbelievable (the price also).

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
^ Nice, but aren't the sleeves a bit short?
Yeah i think so... it is the bigger size they have, a 44, and usually i am a 46...
TBH at €2500 i didn't intend to buy it!
The Valstarino almost seem cheap now !
But the quality can't compare TBH...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1603468129077.png

From expensive and quality to cheap and cheerful.
100% Cotton £30....I thought that this could bring some colour into dull Winters days without looking (too much) like a Christmas jumper.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah i think so... it is the bigger size they have, a 44, and usually i am a 46...
TBH at €2500 i didn't intend to buy it!
The Valstarino almost seem cheap now !
But the quality can't compare TBH...
Well, I for myself would feel more at ease in blaming short sleeves rather than my starved wallet ...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about the latest challenge,I will have to enter as I started the Brogues thread thats been mentioned in the opening post.

I know that we talked briefly about 'smart casual' a while ago but 'casual' ? again its subjective but how do each of us differentiate between the two?
I am thinking that 'smart casual' is trousers/chinos whereas 'casual' could be jeans/cords ?
is that too simplistic ?
Would an OCBD be too smart for 'casual' and a polo not be smart enough for 'smart casual'
I remember reading about a cruise line that gave more definition 'dress smart casual,no jeans'.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@cerneabbas, the idea in saying just "casual" was to leave the door open for the SW&D posters, to expand the scope of the Challenge. But if you have a look at the inspiration pictures they are more on the "smart casual" side. Jeans are allowed of course. (some in the inspo pics.)

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@cerneabbas, the idea in saying just "casual" was to leave the door open for the SW&D posters, to expand the scope of the Challenge. But if you have a look at the inspiration pictures they are more on the "smart casual" side. Jeans are allowed of course. (some in the inspo pics.)
Good explanation, but leaves me with an even wider choice !

Byrone

Reaction score
Well @Luigi_M i hope so !
Here it is...

Something different...
EngineeredGarments-x-Trickers-FW18_07A.jpg
EG x Tricker's

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads