• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Today's fit (and new haircut).
UU MA1, Brutus shirt, Lee Riders Japan, Air Jordan 1.
20201003_114922.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
How is the Uniqlo U flight jacket ?
Good ! It is really a practical garment, very "here and now". The main difference with a classic MA-1 flight jacket is that there isn't a sleeve pocket and a storm flap.
The fit is almost like the Alpha Industries one. Thick nylon, actually i find the fabric/material much better than contemporaries Alphas. The lining is of the same color than the outer (a good point IMO). It was also quite cheap, at less than half the price of an Alpha Industries one.
I already had several Alphas and Schott MA-1s, but I'm impressed with the UU Bomber, pretty substantial. Nice nylon shell and chunky ribbing, good water repellency. It is also sturdy, it's from the 2016 UU collection, i wear it a lot, and it is still in excellent condition.

They did 4 different colours, maybe you can still find one on eBay.

Mine is dark Navy (wearing it today with another Brutus shirt)
UU MA1 Navy 2.jpg

@Rais sporting the dark Olive one
UU MA1 Rais.jpg

The Grey one
UU MA1 Grey 3.jpg

The Burgundy red one
UU MA1 Burgundy.jpg

Swampster

Reaction score
IMG_E0524 (2).JPG

A Brooks Brothers jacket I got from TK Maxx for about 50 quid.

Once BB stuff started appearing on their website, I thought I ought to see what they were like. I gather that their stuff is not what it once was (and this one is Thai rather than US made), but I still thought I would try.
It took several goes to find something I liked and that was the right size. There are various BB fits and it seems a 'Regent' was the best for me. This jacket was probably the fourth one of various styles and sizes I ordered before settling on a size.

I then needed to get the arms shortened - I apparently have a long body so it is either get a Short and wear it as a bum freezer or go for a more conventional length and shorten the arms.
This was where the fun started.
I have used a couple of places for alterations before but both were still locked down. I found one of the local villages had a service and I thought I would support a local business. Unfortunately, this seems to be very much a sideline of theirs. I took it in on a Saturday and they said it would probably be ready by the next Saturday. When I went up, no sign of it (nor a pair of trousers I wanted shortening). Each time I spoke to them, it was a bit worrying that they couldn't get hold of the seamstress. One of the staff eventually went round to see her - I had said if it hadn't already been done then I wanted it back. I think it eventually took a month to get it back.

Annoyingly, just after I took it back I went to an independent menswear shop. I had bought from their previous incarnation and they had used one of the people I had used but weren't currently in operation. I turns out that they now have a tailor on the premises - I took some other trousers to them and they were done in two days. The jacket alteration would have been done in the same time. They were even the same price. I know who I shall use next time.

The alterations do seem decent enough. The jacket fits quite nicely - but as it is lightweight I shall probably not get a chance to wear it until next spring.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
View attachment 1472962
A Brooks Brothers jacket I got from TK Maxx for about 50 quid.

Once BB stuff started appearing on their website, I thought I ought to see what they were like. I gather that their stuff is not what it once was (and this one is Thai rather than US made), but I still thought I would try.
It took several goes to find something I liked and that was the right size. There are various BB fits and it seems a 'Regent' was the best for me. This jacket was probably the fourth one of various styles and sizes I ordered before settling on a size.

I then needed to get the arms shortened - I apparently have a long body so it is either get a Short and wear it as a bum freezer or go for a more conventional length and shorten the arms.
This was where the fun started.
I have used a couple of places for alterations before but both were still locked down. I found one of the local villages had a service and I thought I would support a local business. Unfortunately, this seems to be very much a sideline of theirs. I took it in on a Saturday and they said it would probably be ready by the next Saturday. When I went up, no sign of it (nor a pair of trousers I wanted shortening). Each time I spoke to them, it was a bit worrying that they couldn't get hold of the seamstress. One of the staff eventually went round to see her - I had said if it hadn't already been done then I wanted it back. I think it eventually took a month to get it back.

Annoyingly, just after I took it back I went to an independent menswear shop. I had bought from their previous incarnation and they had used one of the people I had used but weren't currently in operation. I turns out that they now have a tailor on the premises - I took some other trousers to them and they were done in two days. The jacket alteration would have been done in the same time. They were even the same price. I know who I shall use next time.

The alterations do seem decent enough. The jacket fits quite nicely - but as it is lightweight I shall probably not get a chance to wear it until next spring.
I had a look online at TKmaxx, not many BB stuff that i like on their website, as i am only interested in their Ivy 3B sack jackets. I noticed a couple though, but for spring/summer in cotton/linen blend.
The prices are really interesting.
Too bad i can't pay my usual visit to London, i would have dropped to TKmaxx. I usually go to the one near Tottenham Court Road, i noticed a new big one on Oxford Street, last time i was in the Smoke in March.
I don't want to take the chance to order online as i don't want to bother with returns, etc.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luigi,is the jacket Aquauscutum ?
I guess that it is getting quite cold in Venice now ?

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luigi,is the jacket Aquauscutum ?
I guess that it is getting quite cold in Venice now ?
It's a Boggi jacket I bought on discount (80€) four or five years ago.
About weather, you are right: lucky me as I decided to put a vest under it today! :freeze:

EDIT: those who are familiar with Veneto's climate know well that, if the mountains can be seen, then it's cold!
20201012_121516.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads