• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
It is raining like hell here for two days...
So let's post another illustration from the "American Trad handbook".
Burberry Guys ?

ATH2 2.png

Swampster

Reaction score
I had a (very cheap) trench coat in my early post-student days but when I have tried them on more recently I don't think they suit me. A straight mac seems to work better for me. Most of that is down to the cut, but I think a trench coat may look too 'busy' for my current taste.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I had a US Army trench coat - style in army green late 70s/early 80s. They were fashionable here then, and they were cheap in the Surplus stores. Never had one since,
I prefer Macs too.
I think it is a style that @smittycl like ?

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Defo dig the Mac silhouette. Recently splurged on a John Simons mac; really dig it. Had to shorten the sleeves, and had the wrist straps And buttons removed.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is raining like hell here for two days...
So let's post another illustration from the "American Trad handbook".
Burberry Guys ?

View attachment 1464582
I have a very good quality full length Marks and Spencer trench coat from the days when they offered quality items. It was bought in the sale too. I also have an Aquascutum single breasted raincoat.

However, these days nobody wears coats. They chance getting wet. The new coats on sale are little more than elongated jackets. Knee length is rare but it is the longest most brands offer.

Swampster

Reaction score
I have to stand outside for about 15 mins a day - long enough to appreciate a decent coat.
A vintage clothes shop is opening near me soon so I am looking forward to what coats they might have. I bought a couple of Aquascutum macs and a peacoat from their previous premises.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To compliment the nice sketch posted by our Inspector, and since today is menacing to rain dogs and cats, here's my raincoat.
Aquascutum (with at least 100% cotton lining), courtesy of a gentleman who thought it was too big on him and put it on ebay for a mere £ 50 - new.

20200925_143025-1.jpg

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Merci bien Inspector.
On a second sight, though, I realize that your sketch has a nice smile and me instead am looking drunk ...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trenchcoats are something that I admire but I doubt that I would wear one,even my Mac doesnt get worn a lot,neither are much use if you are driving a car and if I am walking very far and its heavy rain I usually wear something with a hood.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Christoph Waltz in Tarantino's "Inglourious Basterds" pulls it off with class.
191494421_0.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads