• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Swampster

Reaction score
Yes, Woolly pullies were very common in the 70s and early 80’s. I had a navy blue one and one in a browner khaki than would be genuine. I also had a couple provided by Her Majesty but that didn’t last long.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another drawing from the Japanese "American Trad handbook"...

View attachment 1463701

Curious to see (what look like) a Brit army pull-over there, i don't think the US army have the same ?
I remember when i was a kid visiting England, all the kids there seemed to wear one (late 70s), like this one in Army green.
Later, i had an authentic navy one (from the Brit Navy i suppose) that i kept a very long time...
Are they still popular ?
Are they really considered Trad ?
I have a similar jumper. Mine has suede patches rather than the military type. It is a very substantial and warm garment. Woolovers used to offer them but no longer do so. Now I think woolaway offer a similar one.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is the James Bond wardrobe:-

I prefer my suede patches which are a bit more classy than the flimsy ones above. Also no chance of being considered a Walt.

£345 for the N Peal version. You could 6 or 7 of the Woolaway jumpers for that.

If I wanted a military one then I would go to Silvermans

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Woolly pullies were very common in the 70s and early 80’s. I had a navy blue one and one in a browner khaki than would be genuine. I also had a couple provided by Her Majesty but that didn’t last long.
The very early Army woolly pully was a browner khaki with a neck cord,the later ones were more green and didnt have a neck cord,the problem with them was that they were very heavy and tended to stretch after washing...
The Police wore the Navy ones for a while but they seemed to disappear some years ago maybe they got too expensive ? there was an Air force blue too.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is the James Bond wardrobe:-

I prefer my suede patches which are a bit more classy than the flimsy ones above. Also no chance of being considered a Walt.

£345 for the N Peal version. You could 6 or 7 of the Woolaway jumpers for that.

If I wanted a military one then I would go to Silvermans
Try Outdoor Knitwear,they have the suede patch version also the original woolly pully (they say) in 12 different colours !....I also found a camo version for 'special forces Walts'.
Something in my memory that there was a version with a patch on the sleeve for pens ?

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1600878228446.png

One of the British Millerain Harringtons that I bought in a sale earlier this year,needs the sleeves shortening.
I dont wear jeans that often but these Lois are a bit wider and I think that they work with Brogues.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
View attachment 1463899
One of the British Millerain Harringtons that I bought in a sale earlier this year,needs the sleeves shortening.
I dont wear jeans that often but these Lois are a bit wider and I think that they work with Brogues.
Nice one ! Post more fits guys !
The new brogues are really good and i dig the Lois jeans !

Byrone

Reaction score

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
View attachment 1463899

This "Man in Blue" outfit is so good that i have to post today's "Man in Black" version.

MIB.jpg

Baracuta G9
Fred Perry
Loake Royals

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Your jeans are a better length,I have washed those Lois jeans and I will wash them again before getting them altered....just in case they shrink a bit.
I really like the cut and denim of those Lois jeans, the fit is good IMO, they will indeed shrink a little again for a few washes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics