• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that the problem with the Loake Royal/Sovereign is the leather,that corrected leather that seems to have a plastic finish,again like the join its to keep the price down.
I cant understand why Loake have never made a Soveriegn in better leather in the 1880 range.
The leather on those Loake Birkdale of mine is very nice but not everyone will like the Bullet last for a longwing brogue.
Yes, I have the Royals and the leather is what it is. After years they do get very comfortable though; and with Topy soles you never worry about wearing them in the pouring rain. They are just a bit heavier than the Dainite sole version.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Yes, I have the Royals and the leather is what it is. After years they do get very comfortable though; and with Topy soles you never worry about wearing them in the pouring rain. They are just a bit heavier than the Dainite sole version.
Yes exactly. I had Topy like soles added for the rain, and they are really comfy after several years of wear.
20200920_115236.jpg

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AFPOS has a new line called 'Barker of Earl Barton'.
I like these:
4_981579c9-6388-4ebc-a8fa-65223765534c_2048x.jpg

2_02d26a81-6bd2-46c7-85fd-c924ad2d64fb_2048x.jpg

3_9e94cacc-bf95-4647-895e-2469b6dd074c_2048x.jpg

With grain leather and dainite sole they allow the wearer to dress up (a tweed or PoW suit) or down (as much as you like, provided it's not sweatpants and/or hoodie).
At £ 325 (minus SF discount) they aren't too much expensive too.
Pity for the GREEN sole ...

Swampster

Reaction score
AFPOS has a new line called 'Barker of Earl Barton'.
I like these:
View attachment 1461864
View attachment 1461865
View attachment 1461866
With grain leather and dainite sole they allow the wearer to dress up (a tweed or PoW suit) or down (as much as you like, provided it's not sweatpants and/or hoodie).
At £ 325 (minus SF discount) they aren't too much expensive too.
Pity for the GREEN sole ...
Barker say that this range is a reinterpretation of historic shoe designs with modern materials.
The styles are named after the streets around the factory. That will limit the size of the range as Earl’s Barton is a small place ?

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Discount shoes don’t seem to have long wings but they have a grain plain cap at a good price. I have the loafers and the brown suede chukkas from there. There are English brogues at keen prices though

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite a lot of Barkers have the same leather. I think it is attractive for them as far as keeping costs down but I do wonder if it is also popular with the punters - much easier to keep looking shiny even though it will, in the long* term, end up looking worse. I suppose even Church's bookbinder is much the same.

*Or even quite short term. But if you only wear them a couple of times a year and never really break them in, then you wouldn't end up with any cracking.
Some years ago I looked at a pair of Church Shannon and whilst I thought that they were lovely shoes the thing that put me off of them (apart from the price) was the leather.
I could tell that it would be easy to scratch I could have done it with my thumbnail,I would have been nervous to even wear them.
I suppose thats another reason to like grain leather (apart from the look) its much easier to deal with scratches and they dont show up as much.
I think that my Barkers are all from the Country Collection and the leather is reasonable quality,quite thick too but it softens nicely when worn in.

I do wonder if Loake have made the Royal for what they see as a certain type of customer and kept the price low,of course they know their business best but I would have thought that there are people who fancy a shoe like the Royal in style but want something better quality.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some years ago I looked at a pair of Church Shannon and whilst I thought that they were lovely shoes the thing that put me off of them (apart from the price) was the leather.
I could tell that it would be easy to scratch I could have done it with my thumbnail,I would have been nervous to even wear them.
I suppose thats another reason to like grain leather (apart from the look) its much easier to deal with scratches and they dont show up as much.
I think that my Barkers are all from the Country Collection and the leather is reasonable quality,quite thick too but it softens nicely when worn in.

I do wonder if Loake have made the Royal for what they see as a certain type of customer and kept the price low,of course they know their business best but I would have thought that there are people who fancy a shoe like the Royal in style but want something better quality.
Dont forget Loake traditionally targeted the more affordable end of the market. 1880 was their premium offering. Now they have two levels on top of that 1880 Export and 1880 Legacy.

Anyway, I thought the Birkdale was a better quality Royal ?

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No,the Birkdale is a longwing with better quality leather (than the Royal) but its on a different last.

Didnt you have the Hoggs of Fife Kenmore made by Loake ? that was a Sovereign made with grain leather,ok it was more expensive than the basicRoyal/Sovereign but you expect that for better quality.
I remember that Pediwear got some Barker Grassingtons made up in Cordovan for their house brand, the Sovereign in Cordovan or grain leather would be quite a good shoe imo.

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Another drawing from the Japanese "American Trad handbook"...

ATH.png

Curious to see (what look like) a Brit army pull-over there, i don't think the US army have the same ?
I remember when i was a kid visiting England, all the kids there seemed to wear one (late 70s), like this one in Army green.
Later, i had an authentic navy one (from the Brit Navy i suppose) that i kept a very long time...
Are they still popular ?
Are they really considered Trad ?

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another drawing from the Japanese "American Trad handbook"...

View attachment 1463701

Curious to see (what look like) a Brit army pull-over there, i don't think the US army have the same ?
I remember when i was a kid visiting England, all the kids there seemed to wear one (late 70s), like this one in Army green.
Later, i had an authentic navy one (from the Brit Navy i suppose) that i kept a very long time...
Are they still popular ?
Are they really considered Trad ?
The woolly pully seems to making a comeback. Bond is wearing one by N.Peal in the new movie and it's been featured in much of the publicity
shopping.jpeg

Not sure if they're considered "trad"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads