• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Swampster

Reaction score
BTW...it reminds me i recently found a rare picture of Joe Strummer (from The Clash - one of my personal heroes - Seen them in concert, was just great) wearing a Baracuta. In the early 80s, at least in Europe, Baracutas were rarely seen. The picture is in black & white, but when you look at the pattern of the tartan, you recognize the Fraser Tartan.

View attachment 1450541
Apart from the tartan, is there any sign that this is a Baracuta rather than a cheap copy? Around 79 and 80 virtually everyone I knew seemed to have a cheap Harrington - they usually had tartan though not sure of the sett. After a while, the fashion was to put really tacky lettering on the back which soon began to peel off.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Apart from the tartan, is there any sign that this is a Baracuta rather than a cheap copy? Around 79 and 80 virtually everyone I knew seemed to have a cheap Harrington - they usually had tartan though not sure of the sett. After a while, the fashion was to put really tacky lettering on the back which soon began to peel off.
I really think it is a Baracuta as the pattern is really the same that the Fraser's one. The 80s cheap Harringtons linings you saw everywhere then (i had two) were in Royal Stewart Tartan, like the cheap ones are still today. IIRC Fraser only gave to Baracuta the authorization to use their Clan tartan. I also red several time that Strummer was one of the very rare musicien of that time to wear a Baracuta. I am not even sure they were still produced in England then, but as we've seen before they were available in USA made under license. And maybe John Simons was still stocking a few at that time...
So no real proof, but an array of presumptions...

Swampster

Reaction score
I was hoping to find some old pics to check out the pattern but no luck. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone did try to use the Fraser sett without permission but frankly the only thing I can remember is that some people had a lining with more texture than others.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Another presumption @Swampster :

"The Clash wore customised Black G9 Jackets for their 1980 Times Square, New York Concerts (see above image), so to immortalise this 'Icon' Baracuta have produced a limited edition Black G9..."

baracuta-23.jpg

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another presumption @Swampster :

"The Clash wore customised Black G9 Jackets for their 1980 Times Square, New York Concerts (see above image), so to immortalise this 'Icon' Baracuta have produced a limited edition Black G9..."

View attachment 1451478

looks like they avoided the “belts and braces” faux pas, too. ??

Swampster

Reaction score

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
The crotch looks a bit 'prison chic' low for my liking.
I know what you mean, i had the same impression, but when i tried it on it was not flagrant (sizing down).
Might buy a pair in navy (already got army green "fatigues").
Usually Uniqlo stuff goes for peanuts during the sales...

Swampster

Reaction score
I know what you mean, i had the same impression, but when i tried it on it was not flagrant (sizing down).
Might buy a pair in navy (already got army green "fatigues").
Usually Uniqlo stuff goes for peanuts during the sales...
I think I might be more sensitive to it as my legs are a bit short compared to my height. It may also just be how the model is wearing them and that sensible chaps can wear them properly :)

I think for olive green I would just go with army surplus combats* but having the choice of other colours could be worth it.

*Not sure what happened to mine. I guess I probably outgrew them.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Clearly oversized. As i said a size down works for me. They will probably be a success on the SW&D board.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wifey and I grabbing cocktails in Arlington. Rooftop bars are perfect in pandemic times. All wore masks in but not at tables and we still put ours on for waitress. Winter is going to suck.

Inis Meain linen shirt, Brioni linen pants and C&J suede Harvards.

IMG_1136.jpg

Byrone

Reaction score
More for the workwear enthusiasts (and also clearly military inspired).

I tried today those new Uniqlo ("fatigue") trousers.
Rather nice, but a wide fit, if i buy a pair i will size down. The good thing is the color choice, and the material.
Not totally convinced though, so i will wait for a price drop or the next sales.
They remind me of Orslow Painter Pants, but for a fraction of the price.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I did think Orslow when i tried them on, because of the thick cotton material with a discreet sheen, but for the cut and detailing i thought more of their "fatigues" than of the "Painter pants" ? Now TBH i've seen Orslow's "fatigues" in the flesh, but not the "painter pants". But a thing is sure, those Uniqlos are really nice stuff for the price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads