• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I dont like second hand clothes/shoes either, 'new without tags' can be difficult on E bay too,if it was a jacket I ask to see a picture of the lining,always ask questions then if the seller doesnt describe the item correctly you can send it back.

The funny thing is that lots of jackets seem to get bought,put in wardrobe and never worn,I guess that is because people have put on weight and the jacket doesnt fit when they decide to wear it.

I bought a pair of loafers from Ebay that looked new inside and out but the soles had faint but noticeable scratches,I knew what had happened,they had tried them on and walked on a non carpeted floor and were unable to return them because of marks on the sole.
I got them really cheap and the shoes were spotless inside and unmarked uppers just the slight scratches on sole,someone learnt an expensive lesson.

I buy online more than at 'real' shops now and I particuarly like End because they give measurements of items on a diagram.
Those loafers sound interesting, what are they ?

I don't buy second hand, but "new without tags", "never worn", "off-label", "deadstock", yes...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The loafers are Grenson Ashley.

I remember buying some 'new without tags' trousers from Ebay some years ago,they had definitely been worn and had what looked like a cigarette burn hole in one leg !

There are some bad sellers on Ebay but to be fair Ebay like you to complain (if you have a legitimate problem) so that they can get rid of problem sellers.

Swampster

Reaction score
I have bought quite a few of my jackets second hand as well as a couple of suits and a couple of overcoats. Most of them have been pretty pristine, probably for the reasons cerneabbas gives.
I have bought one or two pairs of shoes from ebay but these were apparently never worn. They were shoes where I already knew that the size and last would fit me. I should have realised that one pair was 'high shine' which I'm not keen on but I do still wear them on occasion.
I have quite a few ties from ebay including Turnbull and Asser, Drakes and various other names. Some have probably been worn for a wedding or two, if that. Others show more wear, and it isn't always easy to tell from photos, but I haven't had anything which I wouldn't wear for work. I have some ebay Drakes pocket squares too. There is a possibility that these are not kosher, but getting even no-name linen pocket squares quite cheaply isn't easy, so at the price I paid I don't mind.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1597391449354.png

I posted this picture on another thread a few months ago but as we are talking about Ebay I thought I would put it up on here,everything I am wearing was bought on Ebay, all new and all very cheap.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose the absence of changing rooms in shops will add to the amount of online buying. Kingston M&S had also closed its currency exchange counter. So the top floor looked deserted.In normal times, I would want to try fit-critical items on before buying.

If you are sure of your size and are buying new then online is less risky

Swampster

Reaction score
I suppose the absence of changing rooms in shops will add to the amount of online buying. Kingston M&S had also closed its currency exchange counter. So the top floor looked deserted.In normal times, I would want to try fit-critical items on before buying.

If you are sure of your size and are buying new then online is less risky
It is one of the reasons why I buy online from a fairly limited range of suppliers. I know my size in CT shirts and chinos, so tend to buy from them. Or at least I did - I have lost weight over the last few months and now the trousers are too big.

Talking of M&S, I'm currently wearing one of their linen shirts I bought last year. I really like it.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont like second hand clothes/shoes either, 'new without tags' can be difficult on E bay too,if it was a jacket I ask to see a picture of the lining,always ask questions then if the seller doesnt describe the item correctly you can send it back.

The funny thing is that lots of jackets seem to get bought,put in wardrobe and never worn,I guess that is because people have put on weight and the jacket doesnt fit when they decide to wear it.

I bought a pair of loafers from Ebay that looked new inside and out but the soles had faint but noticeable scratches,I knew what had happened,they had tried them on and walked on a non carpeted floor and were unable to return them because of marks on the sole.
I got them really cheap and the shoes were spotless inside and unmarked uppers just the slight scratches on sole,someone learnt an expensive lesson.

I buy online more than at 'real' shops now and I particuarly like End because they give measurements of items on a diagram.

Yeah I use End for much the same reasons.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I must say i still MUCH prefer to buy in the shops than online. I like to see the item, to try it on, even to try several in the same size as there are small variations, you can always find a slightly better fit.
Now of course sometimes there are bargains to be made online, but in this case i prefer to buy an item i "know" (like @Swampster with CT)...
Now i also have the luck to live in a big city, with many shops around.

Swampster

Reaction score
I must say i still MUCH prefer to buy in the shops than online. I like to see the item, to try it on, even to try several in the same size as there are small variations, you can always find a slightly better fit.
Now of course sometimes there are bargains to be made online, but in this case i prefer to buy an item i "know" (like @Swampster with CT)...
Now i also have the luck to live in a big city, with many shops around.
My local big city is pretty good for shoes but I don't have much luck with other clothes. Even CT's stock is rarely what I what in trousers, jackets or coats. The big stores have loads of stock but it is all to suit people who are much younger and can wear slim fit. There are the names like Levi's and Gap which I will get the odd thing from.
The two places in the city where I have had actual service with advice etc. have been Slaters and Moss Bros.
There are some higher end places, but my budget and needs don't suit them.
To find traditional gents' outfitters, I have had more luck in the various smaller towns and cities nearby. I've only bought a few things from them, like some moleskins fairly recently, but again you receive proper service when you want it.

I suspect that the current department store model where each shop has a dozen concessions selling very similar stuff is one that won't last. Whether people will once more appreciate the value added from personal service will determine whether the smaller places can survive.

Mind you, I don't suppose the current model of online shopping where people buy four and send back three is going to be able to last either.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I usually don't shop at the Parisian department stores, because they are too expensive and don't really have the items i like. Prices are sometime interesting during the sales, but the items stay the same (and the only rare interesting ones are never in the sales!)...
I like (just a little) to shop at Flagship stores, High street stores (TBH only Uniqlo and very rarely Gap), but what i really like are the small shops with a good selection of garments. (A la John Simons for example). Sadly these little shops tend to disappear alas, and the only ones remaining are the more expensive ones...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Serious sale here for CM and high-end casual stuff. EXTRA25 gets additonal 25% off. I ordered a nice pink linen Zegna shirt. Would normally stock up on dress shirts here but not actually wearing them at the moment. Nice group of stores and not a major chain.

Last edited:

Swampster

Reaction score
I usually don't shop at the Parisian department stores, because they are too expensive and don't really have the items i like. Prices are sometime interesting during the sales, but the items stay the same (and the only rare interesting ones are never in the sales!)...
I like (just a little) to shop at Flagship stores, High street stores (TBH only Uniqlo and very rarely Gap), but what i really like are the small shops with a good selection of garments. (A la John Simons for example). Sadly these little shops tend to disappear alas, and the only ones remaining are the more expensive ones...
Do you know what the situation is in the second tier cities like, say, Lille? Or the smaller towns? Have the department stores and chains driven out the small shops?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Do you know what the situation is in the second tier cities like, say, Lille? Or the smaller towns? Have the department stores and chains driven out the small shops?
I can't tell you TBH. When i leave my town it is usually for holidays, and i am not going to another French town. What i can tell you is that they probably have local department stores, as the biggest Parisian ones don't have many concessions like the British ones. But chains (H&M, Primark, etc) are everywhere (sadly).
I don't know much about Lille, but cities like Lyon or Marseille have some trendy "Select shops" like you can find a few in Paris.

Swampster

Reaction score
I can't tell you TBH. When i leave my town it is usually for holidays, and i am not going to another French town. What i can tell you is that they probably have local department stores, as the biggest Parisian ones don't have many concessions like the British ones. But chains (H&M, Primark, etc) are everywhere (sadly).
I don't know much about Lille, but cities like Lyon or Marseille have some trendy "Select shops" like you can find a few in Paris.
For a provincial type like me, I find that rather amusing :) Apart from the local cities and towns which I visit, there are a couple of other cities around 100km away which I will go for a day out to let alone my occasional trip to London.
I have been to a handful of French towns but haven't really looked for clothes shops. I do remember places like Monoprix (which I guess is everyday pretty cheap stuff) seemed to be everywhere and the chains like Benetton. High streets overall seemed more diverse than the UK but a lot of the independents seemed to be food, drink etc.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
For a provincial type like me, I find that rather amusing :) Apart from the local cities and towns which I visit, there are a couple of other cities around 100km away which I will go for a day out to let alone my occasional trip to London.
I have been to a handful of French towns but haven't really looked for clothes shops. I do remember places like Monoprix (which I guess is everyday pretty cheap stuff) seemed to be everywhere and the chains like Benetton. High streets overall seemed more diverse than the UK but a lot of the independents seemed to be food, drink etc.
Well when i was younger i went sometimes to Bordeaux, but i was born, raised, and i always worked in Paris, i live in the town center, there are shops everywhere (even if the old type is sadly disappearing) and you can't do more Parisian than me. I understand you very well though, when i did homestays in UK when i was a teenager during the summer, the local town expeditions were great, to have a look at the shops among other things.
I still go to London usually once a year, but with the situation now i don't know when will be the next time (cheers @cerneabbas)...
Well you can really compare Monoprix to M&S IMO, same kind of chain shop that sells food and clothing.
You don't see that many Benettons now, i don't think their business is going very well...
Yes i agree it used to be more diverse, as i told you the cities have all their local typical shops, and department stores as the famous ones like Printemps or Galeries don't have many concessions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads