• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
To stay on the Bomber jacket topic, i noticed this "take" on the MA-1 by Stan Ray that i quite like as it's in cotton and not in polyester. But here too the logo is prominent (could be unstitched though).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't tell.
But post two pictures.

USAF Officer 1961 (i think, @smittycl will correct me if i'm wrong)
We can just see the rank (i guess) on his left shoulder, and the name tag on the chest.
Army MA-1s always existed in Navy (i think it was their first color) and Sage green.
"Scrambled Eggs" on brim of hat mean he's a Field Grade Officer. Likely Lieutenant Colonel or full Colonel. Can't see the actual rank.

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This may not be the right place to ask, but since I only frequent three threads and bomber jackets are mentioned here at times...

I've just finished one of Deighton's spy stories - the one called, imaginatively, 'Spy Story'.
When the main character meets a USMC Air Wing colonel, he is described as wearing a "shiny green flying jacket, with lots of Mickey Mouse on sleeves and chest."
I'm guessing the Mickey Mouse refers to the various name tags, unit patches etc. but it isn't a term I've seen used like this before. Deighton was RAF but I don't know if it was RAF slang. Was it ever used this way in the US?

Deighton isn't as big a name dropper when it comes to clothes as Fleming, but they do crop up. It amused me when the main character described the contents of his wardrobe -
"I mean, I don't have the sort of clothes that I can be quite sure that no-one else has, but the combination of Brooks Brothers, Marks and Sparks and Turnbull and Asser can't be in everyone's wardrobe."
And guess what I have in my wardrobe - or at least will have if the BB blazer I ordered yesterday from TK Maxx actually fits me :)
Slight aside from thread subject (sorry Clouseau), if you enjoy Len Deighton, you might enjoy Charlie Stross' "Atrocity Archives" which is his attempt at science fiction written in the style thereof (the entire Laundry Files series is an experiment in writing novels grounded in other authors - with one of them a Bond parody). The accompanying notes were a joy to read. However very much not here and now, although maybe Stross is tying that socially momentous era to our millenium, making it so.

It is a shame that with The IPCRESS Files, he chose to conclude in the mid-century obsession for psy-waves and goat staring. It had the potential to be on par with the adventures of Smiley for posterity. The first half of the movie is brilliant in capturing the awakening of the middle classes and the slow sinking of the hereditary ones in a less complacent, more globalised world.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Sales last find
Sunspel Riviera crew neck tshirt 2.jpg

Sunspel Riviera Crew neck T-shirt. 60% off.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This may not be the right place to ask, but since I only frequent three threads and bomber jackets are mentioned here at times...

I've just finished one of Deighton's spy stories - the one called, imaginatively, 'Spy Story'.
When the main character meets a USMC Air Wing colonel, he is described as wearing a "shiny green flying jacket, with lots of Mickey Mouse on sleeves and chest."
I'm guessing the Mickey Mouse refers to the various name tags, unit patches etc. but it isn't a term I've seen used like this before. Deighton was RAF but I don't know if it was RAF slang. Was it ever used this way in the US?

Deighton isn't as big a name dropper when it comes to clothes as Fleming, but they do crop up. It amused me when the main character described the contents of his wardrobe -
"I mean, I don't have the sort of clothes that I can be quite sure that no-one else has, but the combination of Brooks Brothers, Marks and Sparks and Turnbull and Asser can't be in everyone's wardrobe."
And guess what I have in my wardrobe - or at least will have if the BB blazer I ordered yesterday from TK Maxx actually fits me :)
I really like some of Deightons books,the way that he describes the characters and surroundings make it very easy for me to visualise them.

In his book 'Goodbye Mickey Mouse' there is this note.
'Mickey Mouse,US military slang.Anything that is unnecessary or unimportant .(Named for the Walt Disney animated cartoon character,in allusion to its childish appeal,its simplicity,triviality etc.) The Barnhart Dictionary of New English.'

Swampster

Reaction score
I really like some of Deightons books,the way that he describes the characters and surroundings make it very easy for me to visualise them.

In his book 'Goodbye Mickey Mouse' there is this note.
'Mickey Mouse,US military slang.Anything that is unnecessary or unimportant .(Named for the Walt Disney animated cartoon character,in allusion to its childish appeal,its simplicity,triviality etc.) The Barnhart Dictionary of New English.'
Perfect. Thanks.

Byrone

Reaction score
To stay on the Bomber jacket topic, i noticed this "take" on the MA-1 by Stan Ray that i quite like as it's in cotton and not in polyester. But here too the logo is prominent (could be unstitched though).

Interesting.
Would like to see the "side buckles" though. Sounds weird on a MA-1 jacket.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
You made a point!
I looked at many pictures and i can't see them. Maybe they could be inside in the lining ?

Swampster

Reaction score
I have my doubts that this is Here and Now - perhaps more Catskills in the 50s - but today was first day out for a birthday present resort shirt from CT
The open weave reminds me of the material the girls used to wear for sport at school, but it suited today's humidity.

Paired it with some navy shorts and my Sebago boat shoes. The shoes were a bit of an impulse buy when AFPOS had a sale - they are based about 20 minutes from here so I thought it would be rude not to. I didn't wear them much last year but I have lived in them during the lockdown.
Thought I would post a pic of them not because they are at all unusual but to show how forgiving they are to my foot shape - see the bulge behind my little toe? They are the Vershire, which have attracted less than favourable comments on SF some time in the past, but their depth helps them to fit me more, and the rugged sole makes them suitable to wear while tramping around a bit.
Apologies for their dustiness - just been wandering around a field. I only waxed them recently.
IMG_0449.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I like the shirt and the Sebagos.
Reminded me that I had Topys put under my Sebago Classics last week.

20200812_185815.jpg

Swampster

Reaction score
I saw recently that there is a penny loafer version of the boat shoes I have. I'm tempted, but the clunky, almost commando style sole may make them a bit too much of a hybrid. The classic loafer like yours says 'town' whereas the sole I'm thinking of would say 'country'. I don't mind so much with a brogue but don't know if it would work with a loafer.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I saw recently that there is a penny loafer version of the boat shoes I have. I'm tempted, but the clunky, almost commando style sole may make them a bit too much of a hybrid. The classic loafer like yours says 'town' whereas the sole I'm thinking of would say 'country'. I don't mind so much with a brogue but don't know if it would work with a loafer.
Yes Bass Weejun also does Penny loafers (the 90s) with a thick sole.
Bass 90s.jpg
Kind of Frankenpennies...

It reminded me i also had Topys put on my Weejuns last week :)
Weejun Topy.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads