• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Here and...tomorrow ?

mars.jpg

I was quite surprised yesterday when i watched the TV series "Mars" to notice that the crew wore... Baracutas !
The TV series is from 2016 but is supposed to happen in 2033, when SpaceX launches the first human spaceflight to Mars...
For sure this garment that we mentioned several time is timeless !...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First wear for NMWA x Sartoria Carrara tobacco linen suit. Very light and cool. Got it soaking wet yesterday as Hurricane Isaia swept through but it dried fast. Fabric is Dugdale from England and is very light but holds its shape. Much lighter and comfy than Irish linen I think.

B54A7FBC-2521-4F3D-B7D2-899108CE5EA3.jpeg D18D641B-7D23-4E37-8CF8-C286F45BFEC0.jpeg

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got new linen summer shirt from Drake’s. Very nice if a hair short. Model on website was wearing it tucked in which seems a bit weird to me.

4E99696C-1B1A-4EE9-A137-4BF6214DD929.jpeg

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ perfect combination of colours for summer.
I don't think your shirt is too short: you properly wear it untucked and its lenght allows you to put your hands in pockets without any bagging.
I know that for many hands in pockets is a no-no, but frankly I don't mind that

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ perfect combination of colours for summer.
I don't think your shirt is too short: you properly wear it untucked and its lenght allows you to put your hands in pockets without any bagging.
I know that for many hands in pockets is a no-no, but frankly I don't mind that
I was comparing to my other short sleeves and thought it short. You're right, though, and it's fine!

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
No name espadrilles - like everyone wears here. You can have around 10 pairs for the price of a single pair of Castaner. ;)

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No name espadrilles - like everyone wears here. You can have around 10 pairs for the price of a single pair of Castaner. ;)
Sorry I can give just one thumb, because this answer would deserve at least three

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rota pants out in Georgetown for their first wear. My shirt is only just starting to dry. It’s hot out... Would normally go sockless with suede loafers but long walks need socks!

FEEE2236-95BE-44A4-BE9D-299021BAECF0.jpeg

Swampster

Reaction score
This may not be the right place to ask, but since I only frequent three threads and bomber jackets are mentioned here at times...

I've just finished one of Deighton's spy stories - the one called, imaginatively, 'Spy Story'.
When the main character meets a USMC Air Wing colonel, he is described as wearing a "shiny green flying jacket, with lots of Mickey Mouse on sleeves and chest."
I'm guessing the Mickey Mouse refers to the various name tags, unit patches etc. but it isn't a term I've seen used like this before. Deighton was RAF but I don't know if it was RAF slang. Was it ever used this way in the US?

Deighton isn't as big a name dropper when it comes to clothes as Fleming, but they do crop up. It amused me when the main character described the contents of his wardrobe -
"I mean, I don't have the sort of clothes that I can be quite sure that no-one else has, but the combination of Brooks Brothers, Marks and Sparks and Turnbull and Asser can't be in everyone's wardrobe."
And guess what I have in my wardrobe - or at least will have if the BB blazer I ordered yesterday from TK Maxx actually fits me :)

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
This may not be the right place to ask, but since I only frequent three threads and bomber jackets are mentioned here at times...

I've just finished one of Deighton's spy stories - the one called, imaginatively, 'Spy Story'.
When the main character meets a USMC Air Wing colonel, he is described as wearing a "shiny green flying jacket, with lots of Mickey Mouse on sleeves and chest."
I'm guessing the Mickey Mouse refers to the various name tags, unit patches etc. but it isn't a term I've seen used like this before. Deighton was RAF but I don't know if it was RAF slang. Was it ever used this way in the US?
I can't tell.
But post two pictures.

USAF 1961.jpg

USAF Officer 1961 (i think, @smittycl will correct me if i'm wrong)
We can just see the rank (i guess) on his left shoulder, and the name tag on the chest.
Army MA-1s always existed in Navy (i think it was their first color) and Sage green.

MA-1 BuzzRicksonLion.JPG

A nice replica by Buzz Rickson, with insignia and patches

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads