• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Swampster

Reaction score
Went to both Gap and Fred Perry high street shops this morning. Both have 'up to 70% off' sales in their shops. Gap excluded their chinos from the sale which is the only thing I may have bought. FP had Harringtons marked down but I don't think they were MiE.
Had a look in the window of C&J but didn't have time to go in. There were a few things in the sale but there is not much they sell in my width. I may get some of their Bradfords some day - an Oxford cap - but I already have a couple of similar shoes and I rarely wear them.

I tend not to plan specific purchases - if I am browsing either on the high street or online and I see something I fancy I might get it. The only thing I was sort of looking for today were some khaki shorts and I bought some at TK Maxx - I haven't tried them on yet.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was perusing, oddly enough, some black cap toe oxfords on the Brooks Bros website— made in Italy, though not sure who is making shoes fo BB these days.
I don’t have many formal shoes, just one pair of patent leather oxfords for black tie occasions, and a clunky pair of Tricker’s plains with a double or triple sole(so not exactly formal I suppose).
I might not pull the trigger on these yet though, as I’m guessing BBros will be slashing prices even further, considering they’ve filed for chapter 11.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Was perusing, oddly enough, some black cap toe oxfords on the Brooks Bros website— made in Italy, though not sure who is making shoes fo BB these days.
I don’t have many formal shoes, just one pair of patent leather oxfords for black tie occasions, and a clunky pair of Tricker’s plains with a double or triple sole(so not exactly formal I suppose).
I might not pull the trigger on these yet though, as I’m guessing BBros will be slashing prices even further, considering they’ve filed for chapter 11.
Are You only considering toe caps?

The Weston demi-Chasse in black are seen as the perfect formal shoes here.
I mentioned the Chasse before, the demi-Chasse dont have the impressive Norvegian Stitching (IIRC) so look more formal imho.
You can have them with leather soles or (on request) with thin gum soles added on the leather soles (factory made, they last).
Definitely a classic here.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to both Gap and Fred Perry high street shops this morning. Both have 'up to 70% off' sales in their shops. Gap excluded their chinos from the sale which is the only thing I may have bought. FP had Harringtons marked down but I don't think they were MiE.
Had a look in the window of C&J but didn't have time to go in. There were a few things in the sale but there is not much they sell in my width. I may get some of their Bradfords some day - an Oxford cap - but I already have a couple of similar shoes and I rarely wear them.

I tend not to plan specific purchases - if I am browsing either on the high street or online and I see something I fancy I might get it. The only thing I was sort of looking for today were some khaki shorts and I bought some at TK Maxx - I haven't tried them on yet.
I am looking for a pair of Navy Chinos,I want flat front tailored fit,Lands End have them advertised but out of stock until mid August.
I ordered a pair of Blue cotton trousers from John Lewis sale (tailored fit) reduced to £23 plus delivery.
I am also looking for a pair of Corduroy trousers (tailored fit again) not much choice at the moment,maybe Autumn/Winter stock will come in after Summer sales.

Swampster

Reaction score
I am looking for a pair of Navy Chinos,I want flat front tailored fit,Lands End have them advertised but out of stock until mid August.
I ordered a pair of Blue cotton trousers from John Lewis sale (tailored fit) reduced to £23 plus delivery.
I am also looking for a pair of Corduroy trousers (tailored fit again) not much choice at the moment,maybe Autumn/Winter stock will come in after Summer sales.
Would you consider Tyrwhitt? Chinos and cords both available and some are on sale (as usual ?)

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Fine pair of shoes have Berwick 1707 black toe cap Oxfords,a few different types £165 to £180 and there's a Styleforum discount.
I dont want any more shoes (well thats not true I want them but dont NEED them) but if they do their Country grain brogue in black I will definitely buy a pair,£165 including polish,trees and delivery...minus Styleforum discount it would almost be rude not to buy them.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are You only considering toe caps?

The Weston demi-Chasse in black are seen as the perfect formal shoes here.
I mentioned the Chasse before, the demi-Chasse dont have the impressive Norvegian Stitching (IIRC) so look more formal imho.
You can have them with leather soles or (on request) with thin gum soles added on the leather soles (factory made, they last).
Definitely a classic here.

In short, yes. The Weston is beautiful but prohibitively-priced, but are something I’d buy given the right circumstances and price.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you consider Tyrwhitt? Chinos and cords both available and some are on sale (as usual ?)
Thanks for the info,I will have a look.
I am not a huge fan of Tyrwhitts shirts but I did get a nice coat from them (in another sale) a few years ago.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
In short, yes. The Weston is beautiful but prohibitively-priced, but are something I’d buy given the right circumstances and price.
Next time you are in Paris mate. Can go with you. Most probably cheaper than in NYC (where they have a shop)

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Going to be top quality from Cordings,what is the 'Traditional cut' like ?
I probably prefer my trousers a bit more fitted than most posters on here or TLGO...not Skinny fit or meggings but the John Lewis Tailored fit seems better in the back of the thigh (for me).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to be top quality from Cordings,what is the 'Traditional cut' like ?
I probably prefer my trousers a bit more fitted than most posters on here or TLGO...not Skinny fit or meggings but the John Lewis Tailored fit seems better in the back of the thigh (for me).

They’re definitely tailored fit. I’d say the hem is tapered to around 8” tops. I typically like my chinos a little looser but these look pukka with a crease as they are trim, not skinny. Rise is middle of the road.
I can take some measurements if you’d like. I wear a 34x29 +/- 1”

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
First day of the sales here, i found the Lee ss "Worker shirt" at 30% off.
I will wear it as an overshirt (like i do with Fatigue shirts). 60/40 Cotton/Linen mix. Nice for summer, and i like the texture.

SS Lee Worker.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads