• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
The A-1 is one of the first Flight jackets. Lindbergh wore one. It has a lovely design, and is the only one that uses buttons and not a zipper.
Still produced today by several makes, the most famous version is made by the Italian brand Valstar under the name "Valstarino".
It is really the hell of a jacket, it exists in a vast array of material and colours and the price is rather steep. The suede and leather version are beautiful.
On my wish-list.

The leather and suede Valstarinos. Do you see them a lot in Italy @Luigi_M ?

Valstar cuir.jpg

valstarino-suede-jacket-beige.jpg

i am really tempted, but they cost an arm and a leg...

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
leather and suede Valstarinos. Do you see them a lot in Italy @Luigi_M ?
Actually no - but then I'm from the country and maybe the city guys use them...
I'd gladly get the suede one though, but I'm afraid it will remain on my "I'd wish" list for a long time. :-(

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Actually no - but then I'm from the country and maybe the city guys use them...
I'd gladly get the suede one though, but I'm afraid it will remain on my "I'd wish" list for a long time. :-(
Yes it's on mine for a couple of years.
They do cheaper versions in "deperlant" cotton though...

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I think that if one has to splurge, he has to do it in a way his Bank accountant will call him on the phone!
Tomorrow I'll post the nearest thing I have in my closet - nothing even near to the Valstarino, but good enough for when wind is starting to bite, and much cheaper!

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While the Valstarinos that @Clouseau posted above are in my wettest dreams, this is actually what I have in my closet:
20200714_091856.jpg

No name leather jacket, which I use when in leisure and with temperatures over 0° C.
I like the fact that it hasn't knitted cuffs and waist but holds well the wind nevertheless.
When weather will be colder I'll post a pic of me in it.

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
While the Valstarinos that @Clouseau posted above are in my wettest dreams, this is actually what I have in my closet:
View attachment 1423801

No name leather jacket, which I use when in leisure and with temperatures over 0° C.
I like the fact that it hasn't knitted cuffs and waist but holds well the wind nevertheless.
When weather will be colder I'll post a pic of me in it.
To stay on the Flight jacket topic and in the 14th of July celebration, not very far from the French Air Force old flight jacket.

blouson-de-pilote-mach-70.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Continuing sale at Private White VC. Was looking at the G. Inglese linen shirt-jacket at NMWA but my size sold out. Just bought this one at half off. Will have my tailor bring in the waist if needed. This one actually seems more my style anyway.

For someone who thinks he's clothes-sated I seem to be actively buying stuff lately!

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@smittycl , for each of my - say - twenty last purchases I said myself "well, you don't actually need this, but this is the last one" ...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Well i didnt buy clothes since before the lockdown...
But the sales begin here in two days and i have a list of purchases...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

Well, What is the next purchase you plan is in the Opening Post...

Brogues or loafers with Dainite soles (JM Weston, C&J, Bowen, Sanders...)

Lee "Work shirt" (posted a picture a few pages back)

Onitsuka Tiger sneakers (a model i already have, but in another color)

Stan Ray Fatigue shorts

Fred Perry MiE Harrington (maybe, i can't say i "need" a new Harrington, already got 4)

Chinos (i can say i need a new pair... don't know which make apart cheap ones like Uniqlo or Gap, suggestions ?)

Now i want to do some bargains, i will only buy this stuff if it is well reduced in the sales.

What about you guys, new purchases planned ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads