• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Swampster

Reaction score
I thought of this initially, but I think the suit is probably too baggy for your liking.

6530555bef98ff3da868f7c9193e072c.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I thought of this initially, but I think the suit is probably too baggy for your liking.

6530555bef98ff3da868f7c9193e072c.jpg
h
I appreciate the irony ( even if in North Korea i suppose that, sadly, fields of wheat are even rarer than rice crops)...

A suit in a field of wheat is a rare sight though. Even if i think i remember a @Cleav 's picture...

Swampster

Reaction score
Picture!
(You don't have to be on it!)
60650707-7ED4-4840-8F4F-7740017D5FA3.jpeg

The TK Maxx Madras I mentioned a few days ago.
A bit brighter green in the photo than it is in real life, I think.
When I tried it on, the collar seemed very high at the back and I think it may have been mis-pressed - it was better after I re-ironed it. The material is very soft and should be nice to wear in the sun.

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
View attachment 1422632
When I tried it on, the collar seemed very high at the back and I think it may have been mis-pressed - it was better after I re-ironed it. The material is very soft and should be nice to wear in the sun.
PRL Madras shirts are usually nice and this one is a good example...
I suppose our American friends @Botolph and @smittycl have nice Madras items? I first knew Smittycl here on a Ivy/Trad thread...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose our American friends @Botolph and @smittycl have nice Madras items? I first knew Smittycl here on a Ivy/Trad thread...
Never really got into madras myself. Bold and interesting but I always associated it with moneyed New England preppies and never bought any!

Realized over time that I wasn’t Southern or Trad. I just liked the colorful exuberance. Picked up these pants from NMWA and taking them to my tailor tomorrow.

A561FFFA-EC2B-461A-ADA4-61AAB74D7A41.jpeg

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the preppies connotations are not the same in Europe.
I find Madras shirts a very nice and practical garment especially when it ' s damn hot here !
Lovely trousers @smittycl !
It’s been 90 here for a while now. Wearing shorts and button up short sleeve shirts. Hoping our pool actually opens soon.

Have you seen this thread?

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah I have a few Madras shirts, been wearing them a bit as it’s been 85°+
I also have a Madras sport coat, usually gets an airing around July 4(though no public celebrations this year). It always gets compliments.
@smittycl The monopoly that New England preps might have had on Madras went out the door when the Ivy look went mainstream in the 50s. Those folk are more likely to wear fleece vests and Patagonia t-shirts with shorts and flip flops these days. The rich dress downwards, and we dress upwards ?

here’s the sport coat
F118CE28-BC93-4DAE-97EA-13075C67C545.jpeg
Usually worn with a blue oxford and knit tie as above, pressed tan chinos, and burgundy Alden full-strap loafers.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have a few Madras shirts, been wearing them a bit as it’s been 85°+
I also have a Madras sport coat, usually gets an airing around July 4(though no public celebrations this year). It always gets compliments.
@smittycl The monopoly that New England preps might have had on Madras went out the door when the Ivy look went mainstream in the 50s. Those folk are more likely to wear fleece vests and Patagonia t-shirts with shorts and flip flops these days. The rich dress downwards, and we dress upwards ?

here’s the sport coat
View attachment 1422653
Usually worn with a blue oxford and knit tie as above, pressed tan chinos, and burgundy Alden full-strap loafers.
Pretty cool but a little bold for boring people like me!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Nice one @Botolph. I don't own one yet because i find them too bold for me and of course they are a very rare sight here.
@cerneabbas has a nice one and sports it with style.
Only got Madras shirts so far, but i am tempted by shorts and surcingle (if that's the right word) belts...

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sunday morning with coffee, papers, NMWA style guide and Drake’s espadrilles.

C30B49D3-AEAA-43BA-9EFA-CEC2459CE80C.jpeg

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1422632
I like Madras shirts for hot sunny days,they seem to last a long time too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads