• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Relaxing at the country, in G.U jeans and old Paraboot Michael.

20200705_105825.jpg

Byrone

Reaction score
Stan Ray as some interesting stuff, this shirt seems huge though.
Their Fatigues are nice, especially as they do them in different fits IIRC.

Got some Fatigues by a Japanese make called "Back Number".

View attachment 1417724

They are pretty slim compared to the real military garment. The rise is not as high as on the Stan Rays , but still OK.

View attachment 1417725

I usually wear them with Adidas GAT (German Army Trainers)
Yeah Back Number is an interesting brand.
I think they did a collab with Qlo, but a long time ago.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
An interesting make indeed. Never seen their stuff in another country than their own (Japan). Apart the Fatigues i only have a small backpack from them.
They mainly do work wear or military inspired garments.
Do you still wear military inspired stuff guys (field jackets apart - we mentioned them before) ?
I've recently red that mainly all menswear has either Military, Working, or Sporting origins.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been watching out for a pair of Stan Ray shorts in navy,they seem to be as expensive as the fatigues here.

I quite like military inspired clothes but I avoid olive or camo,I have a Field jacket a bit like an M65 in navy and some navy fatigues (I don't wear jacket and fatigues at the same time!),I cant think of any other military inspired clothes that I have but there might be.
hmmm Pea coat ? Barbour Sapper jacket ?

Swampster

Reaction score
Some of the military link can go back a _long_ way, though it is further complicated by the cross-fertilisation of military and civilian styles in times past.
Even the tails on a morning suit (not very Here and Now) etc. can be traced back to the long skirt on a military frock coat being buttoned back to make marching easier. The turnbacks became thinner and then completely nonfunctional, though sometimes still with working pockets. Jacket wrist buttons are also at least partly a result of no-longer existing fold back cuffs which could be extended while hunting or on campaign. There is the story that liveried servants had them to stop them wiping their noses on their sleeves but I have my doubts on that.
A similar trend has happened to the tails on a fishtail parka - quite a lot of coats (especially women's and children's) have an inverted 'v' as a vesitigial fishtail.

Of the things seen on this thread so far, chinos are essentially military origin. I think there is a bit of doubt whether the Breton shirt was worn before the navy used them, but it certainly spread after the military adoption.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chinos are a good one.

I read that Royal Navy midshipmen were nicknamed Snotties and had buttons on their cuffs to stop them from wiping their noses on sleeves..

I think that single vents in jackets/coats were so that Officers could ride horses and their jackets would fall either side of the horse back.

We already discussed Trenchcoats and Veldtschoen have been mentioned.
Bomber/ flight jackets are also originally military.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Yes this is correct about the origin of single vent.
I also try not to wear two obvious Military items at the same time. Only got two in Army green, aforementioned Fatigues and An alpha M65. Of course i never wore them at the same time and never will !
Otherwise i've got Jungle (Fatigue) jackets, MA-1 Bomber Jacket, Fatigue shorts, Chinos, takes on the Fishtail Parka, etc - but none in Army green !
Speaking of shoes, i think the Plains/Smooths take their origin in officer's shoes ?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
IIRC the explanation of the relation of the clothes we wear today with Military garments is very well
Explained in the Book "History of men's fashion" ( If that's the correct title in English?) By F.Chenoune.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Don't you just love Amazon's pricing algorithm :) You could get some pretty decent shoes for that!
Yes, the original French edition is also very difficult to find, so expensive.
I borrowed it from an University Library. A very good read.

Byrone

Reaction score
Chinos are a good one.

I read that Royal Navy midshipmen were nicknamed Snotties and had buttons on their cuffs to stop them from wiping their noses on sleeves..

I think that single vents in jackets/coats were so that Officers could ride horses and their jackets would fall either side of the horse back.

We already discussed Trenchcoats and Veldtschoen have been mentioned.
Bomber/ flight jackets are also originally military.
I would like to buy a new Flight Jacket.
Suggestions ?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Byrone, lot of choice...
First what type ?
A1
A2
MA-1
ETC...
What about you guys?
I have just a MA-1 at the moment.
Would like a A1 (Valstarino)...

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to buy a new Flight Jacket.
Suggestions ?

If you want/need a very warm one, the Real McCoy’s MA-1 is incredible. I still have mine, post-skinhead days. The interliner is made from wool and the nylon fabric is robust. It ain’t the sad, sagging, baggy Alpha Industries thing.
It comes with a hefty price tag but like a TRMc items, it’s built to spec and built to last.

Byrone

Reaction score
If you want/need a very warm one, the Real McCoy’s MA-1 is incredible. I still have mine, post-skinhead days. The interliner is made from wool and the nylon fabric is robust. It ain’t the sad, sagging, baggy Alpha Industries thing.
It comes with a hefty price tag but like a TRMc items, it’s built to spec and built to last.

Top notch !

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

Very nice stuff but i wonder how it compares with Buzz Rickson ?
They do some nice repros and also special editions and collabs, maybe more "Here and now".
I wonder if it's not @penanceroyaltea who has a reversible one ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics