• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Svzn

Reaction score
I know that some may consider Blazers old fashioned now but for a lot of occasions I prefer Blazer and trousers to a suit.

I would only wear a blazer without a tie. If a tie is appropriate then it's time for me to wear a suit.

I had thrown out all my tailored shorts it would seem, so only denim left. Tend to wear short linen, light Oxford shirts. White spring courts are my favourite summer trainers.

For me shorts means no shirt.

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, but seems the last few summer breaks (would normally be away this week, birthday) i've had, the weather has been pavement cracking temperatures and had no choice. Especially as some have been combined with city breaks and I refuse shorts in the city.
oxGwTqs.jpg

Just noticed I was schwarzkopfing
Passerelle St George? May I recommend Le plateau de Pierre if you are not familiar yet... Fourviere's interior would also make a great backdrop for photos (or maybe the stairs leading up to it from the other side of the hill, given your SW&D style).

Oneflewover

Reaction score
Passerelle St George? May I recommend Le plateau de Pierre if you are not familiar yet... Fourviere's interior would also make a great backdrop for photos (or maybe the stairs leading up to it from the other side of the hill, given your SW&D style).

Yes, went for food and wine. Had a great time for my 60th bithday. Had an apartment on Rue Victor Hugo. These stairs?

qPrrb2q.jpg

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, went for food and wine. Had a great time for my 60th bithday. Had an apartment on Rue Victor Hugo. These stairs?

qPrrb2q.jpg
Ah, I meant the ones from Gare St Paul. Montee des Carmes Dechaussees + Montee Nicolas de Lange. Winding stairs sandwiched between parks and old walls arriving directly on Fourviere. They're a bit less busy.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
It is nice to have a little chit-chat about the good city of Lyon, but we musn't forget the gist of this thread...
To speak of our own clothing style...

One of my typical summer outfits

Summer Outfit.jpg

Cotton/Linen jacket, Poplin ss BD shirt, light Chinos, Italian suede tassels, burgundy PS and socks.
Pretty sharp and timeless at the same time.

An outfit picture like this can also be interesting (for example for those of you who don't want to post a picture of themselves) to show your style.

emptym

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know about the thread, @Clouseau.
Shu - Ha - Ri
- shin (elaborate/formal), gyo (intermediary), so (natural),...
That's really interesting. I think of a three step process but possibly with the second two steps reversed (unless I misunderstood you guys), more in line with Aristotle's thought that people move from one extreme to the other to eventually, hopefully, find a virtuous mean. I think Ricoeur's process of naivete, suspicion, and recovery is like that too. First one conforms to rules, then delights in breaking them, and finally returns to respecting rules but in a creative rather than a slavish way.
Now, how about keeping one’s “look” during the sweltering summer? Linen? Madras? Tech fabrics? ...
I like Outlier too but just have a couple of their Futureworks pants, which are full synthetic. I mainly use them for backpacking or bicycle commutes. And I love blends, like you say. For hot weather, some of my favorite items are 50 linen/50 polyester t-shirts from Old Navy, bought for about $5 each. Not ideal for mass though. For that, I also like seersucker and linen (or hemp), but prefer a spread collar in hot weather, as I find that BDs hold the collar higher and closer to my neck, trapping in heat a small but noticeable amount.

Someone was complaining about not being able to find good seersucker shirts. I'd recommend Luxire for that. I really like gingham seersucker shirts, and if anyone can point to a source of dark blue or black gingham seersucker, I'd appreciate it.

I would say my most Here and Now uniform is a pair of unlined Alden LHS's, Levis 522s in some blend, a woven O-ring belt by Badgery or RMW, hemp blend t-shirt by Onno, and a vintage Russell sweatshirt. It's pretty plain and contemporary but also something I've worn with slight variation since the 80s (swap Aldens for LL Bean camp mocs, 522s for 501s, and those Australian belts for ones from Dubrovnik). To make it a little more casual, I'll wear a baseball hat and Vans slip ons, which I love but feel bad about the fact that they aren't great for the environment (rubber, not resoleable). To make it a little more formal, I'd wear a crewneck wool sweater or shawl cardigan over a collared shirt. Seems, like a lot of guys here, that I tend to favor stuff from my home country. Although, I get stuff from all over and like others mentioned, a good portion of my outwear is English (Beaver of Bolton quilted jacket, Chrysalis duffle coat, and Ben Sherman parka - thanks @Cleav!).

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's really interesting. I think of a three step process but possibly with the second two steps reversed (unless I misunderstood you guys), more in line with Aristotle's thought that people move from one extreme to the other to eventually, hopefully, find a virtuous mean. I think Ricoeur's process of naivete, suspicion, and recovery is like that too. First one conforms to rules, then delights in breaking them, and finally returns to respecting rules but in a creative rather than a slavish way.
Well put and definitely was the case for me, although did not go far the wild extreme. I think the controlled possibility of wildness is what defines the last stage, rather than a definition of balance between the two.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I like the Austrian brand Silhouette for sunglasses. They have a minimal design and pure lines.
Not exactly the same model than mine (can't find a picture) but the shape/design is very near :
silhouette-8698-sunglasses-6560.jpg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ended up settling on Japanese and German brands. I do like some Ray Ban and Bespoke Dudes frames as well.

Masunaga makes really interesting classic frames.

Same with Lunor.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just have the brown tortoise Ray-Ban Wayfarers and Wayfarer II’s. I have a pair of Ray-Ban Caravan(classic “skinhead shape”), but seldom wear them these days.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neat idea for a thread @Clouseau

As an American you’d think I’d be inspired by street wear and such bit I never was. Only own one pair of jeans and never really liked the looks of James Dean, Brando, or Elvis. I always thought they were “cool” but never tried to emulate them. I think the only American streetwear icon I ever tried to copy was Steve McQueen by wearing a leather bomber all through my 20’s.

The biggest style influence on me was Sean Connery as Bond, Bogart, and maybe Cary Grant.

I wear a suit daily (well, pre-Covid anyway) and greatly prefer the Italians. Zegna, Canali, and such. I do like Paul Stuart, BBGF, and Oxxford as well and own many. Well tailored, good silhouette and mildly boring I guess. ? I use the same brands for dress shirts and accessories.

Someone mentioned linen above and that‘s basically all I wear in the summer. I try to wear it at work as much as I can fit it in. Paul Stuart, RLPL, Canali and Isaia make great linen pants, shorts and shirts. High-twist, half-lined wool suits work best for me in hot weather. Maybe a linen blend but I dislike cotton. Too hot.

Have settled on C&J for shoes and their Harvard loafers in particular. Only loafer that really fits me. Luckily Ben Silver carries an entire line of them that not even C&J stock. C&J make good Chelsea boots well.

Anyway, after a career in the Army I seem to gravitate toward CM and away from field gear clothing even though I do wear it when needed.

Cheers!

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just have the brown tortoise Ray-Ban Wayfarers and Wayfarer II’s. I have a pair of Ray-Ban Caravan(classic “skinhead shape”), but seldom wear them these days.
I use Ray Ban 4224 in Havana Brown as knock-around glasses.

36A9ADE7-6E3E-4B11-BDB6-CC66B48056A1.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads