• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Swampster

Reaction score
The pandemic limited my purchases for a year. The good thing is that I want for a while to buy only needed or quality items at sales prices. It is the case with the three items I bought since last year.
As the shops are closed here, it limited the impulse buys !

On another subject, what are your views on white jeans? I like them and « needed » a pair, so I ordered one online.
They are classic in France and Italy (I think @Luigi_M ?) for spring/summer.
I red a Brit article that made me discover that they are not very well considered in UK, I find this quite surprising as usually I find the Brits have rather bold and eccentric tastes, so white jeans seemed innocent...
I had a couple of years in my mid- to late- teens where I wore white jeans occasionally. Like quite a few things I had around then, my brother had bought them but not worn them. I had them taken in by a friend. I was still growing then, though, and once I had outgrown them I didn't get anymore. I think I often felt a bit self-conscious in them, whereas if they had lasted into my college years I probably wouldn't have been.

I have also bought very little this year. The last thing was a Brooks Brothers puppytooth raincoat - part of the TK Maxx pillaging. It is very lightweight, so I wouldn't have worn it until now anyway, though I have had to wait to get the sleeves altered.

Last week, I visited various shops for the first time since December. That included three different TK Maxx stores - and there wasn't a single thing which I even considered getting. Usually there are at least some polo shirts or regular shirts which I would consider, but nothing at the moment.

I also went to Debenhams - one of the large department stores which is shutting its many stores. The only thing I wanted were some Wranglers which were 50% - even then I just got more of what I already had as all the alternate colours weren't available in my size.

With that dangerous feeling of 'I ought to buy something', I then went to Loakes and got another pair of brogues, which I posted a few days ago in the brogues thread. Just as well that these sated my urge, as there is a C&J nearby and I might have spent even more.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I had a couple of years in my mid- to late- teens where I wore white jeans occasionally. Like quite a few things I had around then, my brother had bought them but not worn them. I had them taken in by a friend. I was still growing then, though, and once I had outgrown them I didn't get anymore. I think I often felt a bit self-conscious in them, whereas if they had lasted into my college years I probably wouldn't have been.

I have also bought very little this year. The last thing was a Brooks Brothers puppytooth raincoat - part of the TK Maxx pillaging. It is very lightweight, so I wouldn't have worn it until now anyway, though I have had to wait to get the sleeves altered.

Last week, I visited various shops for the first time since December. That included three different TK Maxx stores - and there wasn't a single thing which I even considered getting. Usually there are at least some polo shirts or regular shirts which I would consider, but nothing at the moment.

I also went to Debenhams - one of the large department stores which is shutting its many stores. The only thing I wanted were some Wranglers which were 50% - even then I just got more of what I already had as all the alternate colours weren't available in my size.

With that dangerous feeling of 'I ought to buy something', I then went to Loakes and got another pair of brogues, which I posted a few days ago in the brogues thread. Just as well that these sated my urge, as there is a C&J nearby and I might have spent even more.
A new pair of Brogues is still on my list, but as my motto is "buy less, but buy better" i will wait for the perfect ones (to my taste).
I saw those Loake Brogues on the Brogues thread, quite nice (apart the eyelets ;)), at first sight the shape reminded me a lot of the Tricker's Bourton.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hadn’t bought much of anything clothes-wise for a few months, but recently acquired this pair of Kleman shoes which are dead comfy and durable.
Reissue of the Berghaus ski smock had to be grabbed, and I have been really impressed by Norse Projects gear of late— the first being a goretex short jacket and the second being their take on an M65, made with a merino/??? hybrid fabric which is highly water-resistant and regulates body temperature and humidity really well. Photo looks black but it’s actually a dark Navy Blue. Layers well and also good with just a shirt and sweater underneath.
No purchases on the horizon for now; getting rid of a good deal of clothes via charity shops and handing down to my little brother.

02CCF33E-D0EC-4515-AEDC-36745EA331B0.jpeg

15E647D8-3733-478C-9141-7F3FD94CE955.jpeg

1EC50250-6388-4BD0-91C4-08766D0D744A.jpeg

8FA982E3-1EDE-44E4-B448-2CEBF455185A.jpeg

Swampster

Reaction score
A new pair of Brogues is still on my list, but as my motto is "buy less, but buy better" i will wait for the perfect ones (to my taste).
I saw those Loake Brogues on the Brogues thread, quite nice (apart the eyelets ;)), at first sight the shape reminded me a lot of the Tricker's Bourton.
I think they have the same long quarters and shorter vamp and toe look of the Bourton.
I have some Trickers Ilkleys which have that same look (including the eyelets :)). The leather on those is fantastic but they really need to be worn with a thick sock - the quarters meet when they are laced up - so the Wortons will be better for non-winter wear as well as being in the rotation when it gets colder again.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont remember white jeans ever being popular for men here but about 25 years ago they were a massive fashion for women and you still see girls wearing them now.
Maybe white trousers for men are too much like Cricket trousers ?...
I do remember a fashion for Navy whites (sailors tropical trousers) in about 1972,they had to be washed each time they were worn (hot wash) and because they were mostly worn with Doc Marten boots they used to get polish marks on them.

I am looking for lightweight cotton jeans for the summer (not white and not denim) there doesnt seem to be a lot of choice.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they have the same long quarters and shorter vamp and toe look of the Bourton.
I have some Trickers Ilkleys which have that same look (including the eyelets :)). The leather on those is fantastic but they really need to be worn with a thick sock - the quarters meet when they are laced up - so the Wortons will be better for non-winter wear as well as being in the rotation when it gets colder again.
Is the Ilkley basically a Bourton with a Commando sole ?
I looked at the Wortons and was very tempted.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I dont remember white jeans ever being popular for men here but about 25 years ago they were a massive fashion for women and you still see girls wearing them now.
Maybe white trousers for men are too much like Cricket trousers ?...
I do remember a fashion for Navy whites (sailors tropical trousers) in about 1972,they had to be washed each time they were worn (hot wash) and because they were mostly worn with Doc Marten boots they used to get polish marks on them.

I am looking for lightweight cotton jeans for the summer (not white and not denim) there doesnt seem to be a lot of choice.
Well we don't have Cricket here ! :-D

Light Chinos maybe ?

Swampster

Reaction score
Is the Ilkley basically a Bourton with a Commando sole ?
I looked at the Wortons and was very tempted.
I've just rechecked and my black Trickers are actually Bowood like these https://abbotsshoes.com/products/trickers-bowood-olivvia-black-leather-country-derby-brogues-uk-7 They are also very like the Bourton but with commando soles. The Olivvia leather is so soft.

The Ilkleys I have are actually the Zug grain. Comparing the photos, they and the Bourtons do look incredibly similar except for the sole choices - but to cloud the water, mine are on a leather sole. I think it was a limited edition; I picked them up at the shop sale. The Zug leather is at the other end of the softness scale - I think I heard rumours that the Swiss army tried using it as armour on their tanks but it was too inflexible. I shall break it in, one day.

They are all on the same 4444 last, but there are differences in the fit. I had tried on Bourtons before and the fit wasn't great for me. I didn't expect the Ilkleys to fit but they were good. I bought the Bowoods online during the first lockdown. I probably should have returned them as, like I said, I really need a thick sock or an insole, but they were good during the winter.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I do remember a fashion for Navy whites (sailors tropical trousers) in about 1972,they had to be washed each time they were worn (hot wash) and because they were mostly worn with Doc Marten boots they used to get polish marks on them. I am looking for lightweight cotton jeans for the summer (not white and not denim) there doesnt seem to be a lot of choice.
That’s the tiring point with white jeans/trousers, you have to wash them very often indeed.
The right stuff to wear with them, as said @Botolph, is also complicated. I think a dark top and brown suede shoes is a good combo. At least it works for me but it might depend on your complexion.

I have several pairs of lightweight jeans perfect for summer by Paul Smith. But I don’t know if they are still doing them.

Last edited:

xeoniq

Reaction score
I do like white jeans or white linen trousers for spring summer with a light blue chambray overshirt or blouson. I don't wear that look anymore but was fond of it. For whatever reason I do feel like it's a "French" aesthetic. Aussies probably think of them as cricket pants.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've just rechecked and my black Trickers are actually Bowood like these https://abbotsshoes.com/products/trickers-bowood-olivvia-black-leather-country-derby-brogues-uk-7 They are also very like the Bourton but with commando soles. The Olivvia leather is so soft.

The Ilkleys I have are actually the Zug grain. Comparing the photos, they and the Bourtons do look incredibly similar except for the sole choices - but to cloud the water, mine are on a leather sole. I think it was a limited edition; I picked them up at the shop sale. The Zug leather is at the other end of the softness scale - I think I heard rumours that the Swiss army tried using it as armour on their tanks but it was too inflexible. I shall break it in, one day.

They are all on the same 4444 last, but there are differences in the fit. I had tried on Bourtons before and the fit wasn't great for me. I didn't expect the Ilkleys to fit but they were good. I bought the Bowoods online during the first lockdown. I probably should have returned them as, like I said, I really need a thick sock or an insole, but they were good during the winter.
I bought a pair of Trickers Stow boots from TK Maxx a few years ago in my normal size but they were a bit too tight,reading the Trickers page on Styleforum the advice is to buy the boots half a size bigger than normal but for the Bourton to buy half a size smaller.

Swampster

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Trickers Stow boots from TK Maxx a few years ago in my normal size but they were a bit too tight,reading the Trickers page on Styleforum the advice is to buy the boots half a size bigger than normal but for the Bourton to buy half a size smaller.
I wonder if they have thought of relabelling them :)

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have Hoggs of Fife Veldtschoen shoes in Zug leather. I had no problems breaking them in. They were comfortable from the start. I do notice that over the years the dark colour fades in some areas to a reddish undertone.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Summer linen as it was in the mid-80s last night. Best fabric for hot, humid weather. Portuguese Flannel, GRP, Sage de Cret.

IMG_2407.jpg IMG_2405.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads