• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HERE AND NOW

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As Byrone is aware, it can be difficult for pensioners like me to keep up with these new terms. I do recognise euphemisms like bookbinder and cavalry calf.

What on earth is MC leather?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
View attachment 1460768
Just arrived this morning...
Bought from Ebay new (as in never been worn) I think that they might be quite old.
I think that they might have been made by Sanders but I am not sure,they look similar to the Sanders Salisbury but without the metal eyelets...funny thing is that I was going to buy a pair of Sanders Salisbury a while back but the metal eyelets put me off.
Itshide Commando sole.
Made in England.
I got them for £42 including delivery, I consider that a bargain.
A real bargain Cerneabbas. They look very good, and i am curious to see them after a first polish.

While we are on the brogue topic, i re-post this picture (posted before on another thread) of my humble collection.

My brogues.jpg
Loake Royals
Church's Burwood
Birkenstock Tatami (yes they are different)

A new pair of black derby brogues/Dainite soles (English or American (longwings) style) is on my wish list for a while. But there are only a few options here, i don't like to buy shoes online, and due to the Covid situation, when will be my next trip to London - also called "Brogues paradise" - is uncertain...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have given them a polish and will try and get a picture taken in the week.
I gave them a good brushing to remove any dust,then I wash them with a soft cloth using the hottest water that I can tolerate,then I wear them until they are quite dry and using a cloth rub Saphir (I used medium brown) into them.
After a while I brush them and then buff them up with a soft polishing cloth,they have come up very nice.
They have to be the most comfortable shoes that I have ever worn straight from box (not including Trainers) very soft and the Commando sole is much more comfortable than Leather or Dainite,be interesting to see what they are like after a good walk.

The downside is going to be getting small stones in the tread of the Commando sole,I will take a little bit of stiff wire in my pocket when I wear them.

Black Brogues....I notice that 'A Fine pair of shoes' has some new stock including Black grain leather Brogues (English style) with a Dainite sole made by Berwick 1707...£165 and theres a 10% discount code for Styleforum.
Is there anywhere in Paris that stocks Berwick 1707 ? might be worth looking at,I bought the black grain leather boots and I was happy with them...I dont think that theres a join on the Brogues so they must be top quality !

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A real bargain Cerneabbas. They look very good, and i am curious to see them after a first polish.

While we are on the brogue topic, i re-post this picture (posted before on another thread) of my humble collection.

View attachment 1461423
Loake Royals
Church's Burwood
Birkenstock Tatami (yes they are different)

A new pair of black derby brogues/Dainite soles (English or American (longwings) style) is on my wish list for a while. But there are only a few options here, i don't like to buy shoes online, and due to the Covid situation, when will be my next trip to London - also called "Brogues paradise" - is uncertain...
You have Loake Royals and are happy with them. Why not just buy Loake Sovereign online? It is the same last as the Royal but with Dainite soles. Sizing should not be an issue therefore.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
You have Loake Royals and are happy with them. Why not just buy Loake Sovereign online? It is the same last as the Royal but with Dainite soles. Sizing should not be an issue therefore.
Yes i thought about that, and i know some guys here own them (@Botolph among others)) and are happy with them. But i would like something different, and maybe in grain leather, like those Sanders i saw in a shop near me. Unfortunately they didn't had my size, but they might receive some in my size sooner or later...

sanders 3.jpg

Swampster

Reaction score
Yes i thought about that, and i know some guys here own them (@Botolph among others)) and are happy with them. But i would like something different, and maybe in grain leather, like those Sanders i saw in a shop near me. Unfortunately they didn't had my size, but they might receive some in my size sooner or later...

View attachment 1461638
The grain on those gives a nice contrast to what you already have.

I have a pair of Trickers brogues which I bought during the lockdown - just waiting for the right weather!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
The grain on those gives a nice contrast to what you already have.

I have a pair of Trickers brogues which I bought during the lockdown - just waiting for the right weather!
Yes exactly.
I don't have that many, so i like to have different styles.
I also like the Tricker's brogues. The Bourton are easily available here, but i don't like much the metal eyelets.

Swampster

Reaction score
They have to be the most comfortable shoes that I have ever worn straight from box (not including Trainers) very soft and the Commando sole is much more comfortable than Leather or Dainite,be interesting to see what they are like after a good walk.

The downside is going to be getting small stones in the tread of the Commando sole,I will take a little bit of stiff wire in my pocket when I wear them.
I know what you mean about the comfort of the Commando soles. I have some suede brogues with a Commando sole. It shouldn't work - the sole says hiking, the uppers says lounging, but they are mighty comfortable.

Swampster

Reaction score
Yes exactly.
I don't have that many, so i like to have different styles.
I also like the Tricker's brogues. The Bourton are easily available here, but i don't like much the metal eyelets.
I think I'm in a bit of a minority on here when it comes to metal eyelets. I'm happy with or without them.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that the problem with the Loake Royal/Sovereign is the leather,that corrected leather that seems to have a plastic finish,again like the join its to keep the price down.
I cant understand why Loake have never made a Soveriegn in better leather in the 1880 range.
The leather on those Loake Birkdale of mine is very nice but not everyone will like the Bullet last for a longwing brogue.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean about the comfort of the Commando soles. I have some suede brogues with a Commando sole. It shouldn't work - the sole says hiking, the uppers says lounging, but they are mighty comfortable.
C&J have a grain leather version of their Pembroke brogue with a Vibram Commando style sole,I would guess that would be very comfortable.

Swampster

Reaction score
I think that the problem with the Loake Royal/Sovereign is the leather,that corrected leather that seems to have a plastic finish,again like the join its to keep the price down.
I cant understand why Loake have never made a Soveriegn in better leather in the 1880 range.
The leather on those Loake Birkdale of mine is very nice but not everyone will like the Bullet last for a longwing brogue.
Quite a lot of Barkers have the same leather. I think it is attractive for them as far as keeping costs down but I do wonder if it is also popular with the punters - much easier to keep looking shiny even though it will, in the long* term, end up looking worse. I suppose even Church's bookbinder is much the same.

*Or even quite short term. But if you only wear them a couple of times a year and never really break them in, then you wouldn't end up with any cracking.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's