• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I like it ?
You should like the last Weejun/FP collab then, all Frankenloafers, i predict they will soon be available at a good price at TKMaxx...

fred-perry-x-gh-bass-co-loafers-01-882x600.jpg

Swampster

Reaction score

One of my top films ?
Oddly, I was thinking about it a couple of days ago. I have some old nu-buck Clark’s shoes which are extra wide that have been relegated to garden wear for a long time now. I did think their shape would be just right for the monster ?

Swampster

Reaction score
Just picked up a Brooks Brothers unlined jacket I ordered from TK but it will have to go back. I think they have tried to go more Here and Now with it but with jackets that seem to mean that even a regular fit has arms which are too skinny for me.
I think for blazers etc I will have to stick with more traditional fits - which I hoped BB would use.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a Brooks Brothers unlined jacket I ordered from TK but it will have to go back. I think they have tried to go more Here and Now with it but with jackets that seem to mean that even a regular fit has arms which are too skinny for me.
I think for blazers etc I will have to stick with more traditional fits - which I hoped BB would use.

look for J Press and O’connell’s for traditional fit American stuff

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should like the last Weejun/FP collab then, all Frankenloafers, i predict they will soon be available at a good price at TKMaxx...

View attachment 1439969
I tried a Penny loafer with a thick treaded sole and I didnt like it.
I usually only wear Penny loafers/Weejuns in the Summer and I never wear them if I am going to be walking far (car park to pub usually) thin soles work best and I think they look the best too.
Although I admire some of the expensive loafers like C&J,Cheaney etc I dont think that I would buy them,I think that all of mine have come from Ebay,new but all cheap and thats how I see Sebago and Bass now (sadly) cheap Summer shoes.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
look for J Press and O’connell’s for traditional fit American stuff
Or Cordings for a traditional British one....expensive but worth it imo.

I also bought an unworn M&S Wool and Cashmere patch pocket blazer cheap on Ebay , sadly M&S dont make them in that quality now.

Making me sweat (more) thinking about it at the moment but I have been looking at DAKS check jackets on Ebay,some nice looking ones at good prices recently.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I also bought an unworn M&S Wool and Cashmere patch pocket blazer cheap on Ebay , sadly M&S dont make them in that quality now.

Making me sweat (more) thinking about it at the moment but I have been looking at DAKS check jackets on Ebay,some nice looking ones at good prices recently.

Yeah I have a Cordings jacket and I think it might be made from steel. VERY solidly-made. I think they’re having a sale on jackets now, too

Swampster

Reaction score

I don’t really need a jacket but thought a BB one would be nice, even if they are not what they used to be.
My best jackets are probably my pair of Bladens. I Thought I shad a DAKS but perhaps it was one I tried to buy in auction but lost. I have picked up a variety of Magee, Gurteen and Brook Taverners which I suppose are ‘entry level’ but seem to fit me well enough. The Gurteens tend to be rather bigger than the others. Probably all a bit trad rather than H&N

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I don’t really need a jacket but thought a BB one would be nice, even if they are not what they used to be.
My best jackets are probably my pair of Bladens. I Thought I shad a DAKS but perhaps it was one I tried to buy in auction but lost. I have picked up a variety of Magee, Gurteen and Brook Taverners which I suppose are ‘entry level’ but seem to fit me well enough. The Gurteens tend to be rather bigger than the others. Probably all a bit trad rather than H&N
I would say that whatever you wear now, as long as it is stylish it is H&N(tm)!
I agree that I am not a big fan either of BB now. Everytime i drop in their London store (their parisian store closed around 5 years ago) it's just...disappointing.
On the contrary Cordings is always a pleasure to visit, and i am very happy with their Shetland Tweed Blazer (and i think @cerneabbas and @Botolph too).
I would love to buy some stuff at JPress, but i dont like to buy jackets online as the fit is critical, and i don't want to bother with customs, refunds, etc. So it would mean a trip to the states to visit their shop.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say that whatever you wear now, as long as it is stylish it is H&N(tm)!
I agree that I am not a big fan either of BB now. Everytime i drop in their London store (their parisian store closed around 5 years ago) it's just...disappointing.
On the contrary Cordings is always a pleasure to visit, and i am very happy with their Shetland Tweed Blazer (and i think @cerneabbas and @Botolph too).
I would love to buy some stuff at JPress, but i dont like to buy jackets online as the fit is critical, and i don't want to bother with customs, refunds, etc. So it would mean a trip to the states to visit their shop.

Or perhaps second-hand from Etsy or eBay? That way, you can ask the seller particular measurements, etc., and if if you have to return it, it’s not and arm and a leg.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Or perhaps second-hand from Etsy or eBay? That way, you can ask the seller particular measurements, etc., and if if you have to return it, it’s not and arm and a leg.
TBH i never buy second-hand items.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TBH i never buy second-hand items.
I dont like second hand clothes/shoes either, 'new without tags' can be difficult on E bay too,if it was a jacket I ask to see a picture of the lining,always ask questions then if the seller doesnt describe the item correctly you can send it back.

The funny thing is that lots of jackets seem to get bought,put in wardrobe and never worn,I guess that is because people have put on weight and the jacket doesnt fit when they decide to wear it.

I bought a pair of loafers from Ebay that looked new inside and out but the soles had faint but noticeable scratches,I knew what had happened,they had tried them on and walked on a non carpeted floor and were unable to return them because of marks on the sole.
I got them really cheap and the shoes were spotless inside and unmarked uppers just the slight scratches on sole,someone learnt an expensive lesson.

I buy online more than at 'real' shops now and I particuarly like End because they give measurements of items on a diagram.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads