• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Taken 5 mins ago, here and now : Brit Harrington, *** Polo, US Chinos, French shoes

Here & now.jpg

Aquascutum
Uniqlo X Engineered Garments
Gap
Mephisto Rainbow

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Technically I'm Generation X.
Same here, by a whisker.
I am X rated
Odd that the term was first used about kids growing up post war - so not even necessarily boomers - and the British book in 1965 with that name had interviews with boomers. Yet the name was attached to the next generation (thanks to the '91 book it seems).. I take it you are going by the '65 start date - there are apparently other definitions.

;)

Swampster

Reaction score
"The book's title came not from Billy Idol's band, as many supposed, but from the final chapter of a funny sociological book on American class structure titled Class, by Paul Fussell. In his final chapter, Fussell named an "X" category of people who wanted to hop off the merry-go-round of status, money, and social climbing that so often frames modern existence." Coupland - author of 'Generation X - Tales for an Accelerated Culture'.

Perhaps. The term had been used a few times since the 50s, so I suspect he was at least sub-consciously aware of one of them - maybe even the punks.

Idol is thought to have named the band after the '65 book (according to Wikipedia. Standard caveats apply!)

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in Roscioli every morning for 10 straight days. I miss it so much, so yeah, very positive.
And correct, spritz on the steps of Piazza Annunziata in Florence.

Did I double post? It's early here.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
"The book's title came not from Billy Idol's band, as many supposed, but from the final chapter of a funny sociological book on American class structure titled Class, by Paul Fussell. In his final chapter, Fussell named an "X" category of people who wanted to hop off the merry-go-round of status, money, and social climbing that so often frames modern existence." Coupland - author of 'Generation X - Tales for an Accelerated Culture'.

Perhaps. The term had been used a few times since the 50s, so I suspect he was at least sub-consciously aware of one of them - maybe even the punks.

Idol is thought to have named the band after the '65 book (according to Wikipedia. Standard caveats apply!)
Yep, there is a subtitle in the video at 1.28

Swampster

Reaction score
I think putting Dr Feelgood in the series was a bit odd though, even as pre-punk.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a British Warm too. Made in England. Crombie. Dunn & Co. Beloved of TV costume departments for comedies. Captain Peacock etc.

A bit less common nowadays. Overcoats and raincoats are not worn so much these days. A good used buy if you have wardrobe space.

I quite like some of them but I don't think that they would suit me or fit in with my other clothes.
The shorter ones would be handy if you're driving but the last few Winters here have been so warm that an Overcoat doesn't get worn much.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of overcoats but both single breasted - a British Warm would be double breasted wouldn't it? One of those is a pretty old used Austin Reed - a bit of thread detailing on the cuff is awry but otherwise it is in good condition.

I found that quite a few used/vintage overcoats are so built for warmth that they are very heavy. I don't often find myself in need of that kind of warmth anymore whereas in my 20s, when I used public transport a lot more, the overcoat I had was great.

I think overcoats of various sorts were more common in the last couple of winters than they had been Perhaps another legacy of the Peaky Blinders.
All the British Warms that I have seen in the flesh or in pictures have been double breasted,usual length is above the knee but I have seen them longer and also some are belted,most are a dark Beige colour but some are a bit darker Green/Brown.
I think that cars and warmer Winters have killed Overcoats,I usually wear something lighter,shorter and better for wet weather.

Oneflewover

Reaction score
I think that cars and warmer Winters have killed Overcoats,I usually wear something lighter,shorter and better for wet weather.
I have a beautiful cashmere and wool single breasted Camel coat. Made in Italy. It's been altered to fit, i've worn it exactly no times.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads