• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HERE AND NOW

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Back on tracks...

@smittycl, @Botolph, the C&J Harvard apart, there isn't much options of Penny Loafers with Dainite soles (as far as i know).

There is another one though, by the French make Bowen. They are doing quality footwear, and bought recently Alfred Sargent, so now some of their shoes are made for them in England by Alfred Sargent.
The upper of their Penny loafer is clearly inspired by the classic JM Weston 180 (no beefroll, detailing). They exist in brown (pictures), in black, and until recently they also existed in dark brown scotchgrain.

Just saw them in a shop, and took a couple of pictures...

Bowen.jpg

Bowen 2.jpg

skeen7908

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain what this thread is about?

the opening post is incoherent

casual clothes for boomers is all I can gather

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Can someone explain what this thread is about?

the opening post is incoherent

casual clothes for boomers is all I can gather
You've got it. Exactly that. But as you are probably older than boomers you cant really understand ! :-D

Kingstonian

Reaction score
By coincidence I was thinking about Trenchcoats the other day when I was reading a book about WW1.
Luigi mentioned British Warm overcoats and a week or so Kingstonian mentioned (on another thread) Veldtschoen.
Clouseau said about timeless items in his opening thread and as these three items were worn by British army officers over 100 years ago I guess they would count as timeless ?
btw I don't have a Trenchcoat or a British Warm or a pair of Veldtschoen.

I think that Michael Caine wore a black Aquascutum trenchcoat in 'Get Carter'
I have a British Warm too. Made in England. Crombie. Dunn & Co. Beloved of TV costume departments for comedies. Captain Peacock etc.

A bit less common nowadays. Overcoats and raincoats are not worn so much these days. A good used buy if you have wardrobe space.

Swampster

Reaction score
I have a couple of overcoats but both single breasted - a British Warm would be double breasted wouldn't it? One of those is a pretty old used Austin Reed - a bit of thread detailing on the cuff is awry but otherwise it is in good condition.

I found that quite a few used/vintage overcoats are so built for warmth that they are very heavy. I don't often find myself in need of that kind of warmth anymore whereas in my 20s, when I used public transport a lot more, the overcoat I had was great.

I think overcoats of various sorts were more common in the last couple of winters than they had been Perhaps another legacy of the Peaky Blinders.

Swampster

Reaction score
I made the cut by two years.
Odd that the term was first used about kids growing up post war - so not even necessarily boomers - and the British book in 1965 with that name had interviews with boomers. Yet the name was attached to the next generation (thanks to the '91 book it seems).. I take it you are going by the '65 start date - there are apparently other definitions.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.