• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HERE AND NOW

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Does anyone ever wear French roundels? I have seen Italian green/white/red on tee shirts but don't recall seeing the French original.
Red on the outside, White, and blue in the center.
Already worn during the French Revolution by the Sans culottes on the Bonnet Phrygien. So I suppose the « cocarde » (you call the target) is a French invention.
Still on all our military planes. But yes rarely worn today, because of the « Nationalist » connotations.

Swampster

Reaction score
Shame that it isn't worn. I think while wearing national symbols in Britain was closely identified with nationalism, the link is less strong now (though I wouldn't claim it is completely broken). Fashion has played a large part in this as has the broader appeal of football.
The British roundel was a deliberate copy/inversion of the French one - originally they used the Union flag on planes but in poor conditions it could look like the German cross.

A bit of There and Then.. :)
IIRC, the revolutionaries added the blue and red of the Paris militia (which has been in use since the middle ages) to the Bourbon white cockade while the king was theoretically still in charge. I think they kept the white as it looks better with it :)

The British cockade from near the start of the 18th century was black. Since this was worn on a black hat, I can't help but thinking why did they bother? It is still worn like that by the Chelsea Pensioners.

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not making it to Europe this year but can pause mid-cycle for a snack at local fav Biergarten!

519AF86C-A17C-4C95-97A4-E9F65B4FB9AC.jpeg

Byrone

Reaction score
Winter here, thought this might break up all the summer fits. Been wearing this Issey Miyake Men cotton fleece vest a lot as a layering piece. It's very simple but it works under and sometimes over a lot of pieces well so it gets a lot of wear.

View attachment 1634730
Deets on pants and boots?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Hot today here (and now)

79409444-94F9-4CCB-B1D0-2E4EDC4AF6E0.jpeg
Qlo T-shirt
Schott USNavy repro light Fatigue shorts
Onitsuka Tiger Tai Chi

fit pics welcome Guys !

smittycl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously hot here in DC. Cycling back and forth to work then getting longer rides in when I can. Made a 42-miler last weekend. Got some new cycling gear from Rapha and Ornot.

IMG_2861.jpg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.