• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HERE AND NOW

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Yes, Outlier.nyc makes great, if usually trim-fit, chinos(sort of a mid-rise, too). They’re a very small producer so prices are a bit up there. Their wool blend t-shirts are amazing, too. Most of their stuff is made with a wool blend or just straight-up technical fabrics, the latter of which I know turns many people here off from them. However, their “60/30 chinos” look like cotton but have 4-way stretch—- which makes them ideal for me as I travel for work and they are as comfortable as sweatpants while looking like 100% cotton chinos.
I remember you wore them when I met you in Paris with an OCBD and Loake sovereign. A good look!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@Botolph

2317F4A3-3FC9-422B-84FA-F72C7850E2F2.jpeg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@Swampster, @am55, @cerneabbas, @Kingstonian, @Luigi_M, @tbrock, @Byrone, @Botolph, @emptym, @smittycl, @mhip, @Nyarlathotep, @Patek, @cocostella, @JohnAAG, @Northants bloke, @Oneflewover, @roytonboy, @xeoniq, @Blake Stitched Blues, @K. Nights, @VinceCompost, @covskin, @Nobilis Animus, @Gerry Nelson, @Coldsnap, @JewishAmericana, @Peter1, @Old Red, @siddeh, @FrankCowperwood, @Yorky, @KamoteJoe... sorry to the ones i forgot.

Almost a year since we started this thread, and i've just been reviewing it. So i thought it was time to draw a new composite drawing of the Here and Now poster, and of what he likes to wear. Of course these elements only represent a partial view of the whole picture, as the gist of this thread is to speak about our "own look" and we are all different. But some items have been discussed more than others...

He is "casual" most of the times (apart rare exception), by taste but also because of the Lockdown, that happily seems to go to an end...

When formal, he wears an Overcoat or a Trenchcoat or a Mac, an Italian suit, or a Sport coat and trousers. He likes Tweed in Fall/Winter and Linen in Spring/Summer. A nice shirt, but a tie is barely seen. Shoes will be English : Brogues, boots, Penny loafers, mainly with Dainite soles.

When casual, be it smart or SW&D, he likes a Flight jacket, mainly A-1 or MA-1/L-2 style, that he wears with his Pilot Watch. Sometimes a Harrington, a Field or a Jungle Jacket, or a bit of TechWear. A breton knit or a quality sweatshirt, an OCBD or a Madras or a Japanese pattern shirt, a nice Polo sometimes, selvedge jeans or Chinos, still brogues and loafers, or quality sneakers...

This is a non-exhaustive list, i suppose there is still a lot to discuss !

Cheers
C

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Swampster, @am55, @cerneabbas, @Kingstonian, @Luigi_M, @tbrock, @Byrone, @Botolph, @emptym, @smittycl, @mhip, @Nyarlathotep, @Patek, @cocostella, @JohnAAG, @Northants bloke, @Oneflewover, @roytonboy, @xeoniq, @Blake Stitched Blues, @K. Nights, @VinceCompost, @covskin, @Nobilis Animus, @Gerry Nelson, @Coldsnap, @JewishAmericana, @Peter1, @Old Red, @siddeh, @FrankCowperwood, @Yorky, @KamoteJoe... sorry to the ones i forgot.

Almost a year since we started this thread, and i've just been reviewing it. So i thought it was time to draw a new composite drawing of the Here and Now poster, and of what he likes to wear. Of course these elements only represent a partial view of the whole picture, as the gist of this thread is to speak about our "own look" and we are all different. But some items have been discussed more than others...

He is "casual" most of the times (apart rare exception), by taste but also because of the Lockdown, that happily seems to go to an end...

When formal, he wears an Overcoat or a Trenchcoat or a Mac, an Italian suit, or a Sport coat and trousers. He likes Tweed in Fall/Winter and Linen in Spring/Summer. A nice shirt, but a tie is barely seen. Shoes will be English : Brogues, boots, Penny loafers, mainly with Dainite soles.

When casual, be it smart or SW&D, he likes a Flight jacket, mainly A-1 or MA-1/L-2 style, that he wears with his Pilot Watch. Sometimes a Harrington, a Field or a Jungle Jacket, or a bit of TechWear. A breton knit or a quality sweatshirt, an OCBD or a Madras or a Japanese pattern shirt, a nice Polo sometimes, selvedge jeans or Chinos, still brogues and loafers, or quality sneakers...

Cheers
C

Yes, knitwear. What's your view?

Swampster

Reaction score

Cheers
C
About 90% I think!
The formal is almost exactly spot on. My favourite suit is English cut but I suppose the others are more Italian style.
I choose to wear a tie a lot more than I would have done 10 years ago, though mostly at work (choice rather than dress code). My casual jackets are more Harrington than flight jacket.
I rarely wear sneakers now - those I have are low end of Adidas (Vs Pace).

On the knitwear front, I wear much less than I used to. I had a road to Damascus moment when I saw photos someone had taken while I wore a sweater. I looked like I was trying to smuggle something made by the Montgolfier brothers. I have a couple of Nordic jumpers which are a bit more forgiving, but if I wear them anytime but December I get asked why I am wearing a Christmas jumper. I did buy a nice navy blue cable knit but I needed to go down a size (even taking visceral accumulation into account) and it wasn't in stock - I have my eyes open for similar.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers
C
Good post.
My shoes are 90% Italian, but pretty spot on otherwise.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers
C
Good analysis.
I lean towards formal, by choice, but I like a nice tweed jacket and am thinking about a fisherman knit sweater (natural or navy blue).
About shoes - shame on me, but I usually trade Italian shoes for English ones.

Side note: yesterday I had my first shot of Pfizer and am bound to get the second next July, 10th

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers
C

Not bad! I do favour English suits, but the rest is pretty good.

I'd say my style is a mix of some vintage and more contemporary things - both because I like thrifting and have/wear a few inherited pieces, and because I can just pull off a lot of it really well. For casual, I'm looking to add to my collection of jackets. I'm kind of picky about the styles, but my two favourites are a modern, herringbone twill, denim field jacket I bought in NYC, and a chocolate suede trucker jacket from 1967 - made by Dandy Fashions, the same store that the Beatles invested in and re-opened as their own tailoring shop in 1968. Eyeing another flight jacket right now, actually!

Everything tends towards slim/dark/casual but smart. I like roll-necks and slim black or dark jackets/trousers for casual wear. Also a fan of wearing tailoring casually (think Alain Delon in the 60s), suede/shearling, and what I call 'unstuffy black tie.' (there, I just gave half of CM a heart attack)

Besides that, I'd rather wear jeans than chinos, and linen everything is definitely my choice for summer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads