• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hercule Poirot Series.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I note the exceptional costumes for the Hercule Poirot series with David Suchet.

Not only is everything period-correct, but all the items fit the individuals extremely well. The accessories are also top-notch--walking sticks, Goyard and alligator luggage, etc.

18611832.jpg

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats one of the things I love about Poirot. He is very particular about his appearance.

A great show.

K

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good observation, LK. I love that show and have been thinking about buying the complete boxed set of DVDs. It's amazing how the production company has been able to create the art deco design feel of the 30s. David Suchet is, of course, a very fine actor and really looks the way we'd imagine Poirot from the books, and Hugh Fraser nails Capt. Hastings.

pajames

Reaction score
Poirot and Hastings are always very well turned out. I especially love all the period buildings. I wish it were still on so I guess I'll have to order the set also.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Poirot. Great show, really good cast and a great set that genuinely gave you the feel for the time in which it was set.

They have made television series out of PG Wodehouse and Agatha Christie's works. Now if only someone made a (good) show out of Enid Blyton's books, my childhood dreams would be complete. =)

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They now have a new Miss Marple, which I feel is slightly camp. Perhaps it's the high definition coloration, but everything feels slightly artificial.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
They now have a new Miss Marple, which I feel is slightly camp. Perhaps it's the high definition coloration, but everything feels slightly artificial.

Agreed on all counts. The Suchet Poirots are amazing, as are Jeeves and Wooster.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I note the exceptional costumes for the Hercule Poirot series with David Suchet.

You have much more a Fedora Lounge leaning than you'd like to think.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and the women dress nice too.

Of course, all the men have nice fit, but I like the attention to detail in the way women dressed back in the older days.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really love this show. As the others mentioned, the costumes are great and the rest of the production values are very high. I like the machinery too. They had Captain Hastings in a Bugatti Type 34 in one episode and in another there was a swell flying boat I had never seen before. I have never read the stories but I have always wondered about how Poirot is portrayed as being somewhat reticent with regards to physical risk. He was a police officer in Belgium before the Great War -- he had to have been on the street and cracked some heads sometime...

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
18611832.jpg

It is not without problems. Notice how Poirot wears his boutonnière vase holder on the outside of the lapel of a humble lounge coat. The more ostentatious display outside would have been better with a morning coat, but not with a garment that was considered rather casual in its time.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
It is not without problems. Notice how Poirot wears his boutonnière vase holder on the outside of the lapel of a humble lounge coat. The more ostentatious display outside would have been better with a morning coat, but not with a garment that was considered rather casual in its time.
Do you think it could have been reflective of his dandyism? Certainly, his predilection for patent button boots is also somewhat idiosyncratic.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Period texts mention that better dressers tried to raise their game up above the average dresser in lounge suits by wearing morning coats. I don't necessarily mean a black SB one or two button model, but also more informal three button models with notched lapels made of worsted in lighter colours, pinstripes or even window pane checks:

Morningcoat_BlueBook1907.jpg

paddockcoatjan1910gf9.jpg

Patent leather button boots would have only worked if Poirot tended to go around in morning full dress and top hat.

If they had consulted me about period appropriate dandified dress however, I would have probably blown their wardrobe budget with one or two bespoke Savile Row garments! I suspect the dress chosen for Poirot was limited by their bottom line.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1915 to 20's - yes. 1930's less so.

Notice here how even Churchill is wearing an old fashioned coat with a single button closure of the top button:

WinstonChurchillwithaTommyGun.jpg

Here is another example from 1916:

dsc009525ua.jpg

Nr 728

Not as much changed between the 1910-20s as you would think. Why would you throw out an expensive bespoke garment so soon just to keep up with fashion after all?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads