• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Herb/Veggie garden in the FRONT yard: Yea or Nay

Front yard garden box

• It's fine

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • I wear brown in town

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We bought this house in June, so this will be our first spring gardening season. There's a dead patch of grass in our front yard. I want to rip it up, and re-plant. My wife wants me to install a garden box for herbs and veggies. Rationally, I understand that lawns serve no purpose, but I can't shake the feeling that growing veggies in the front yard is for farmers. Ours is a small lot in the middle of the city. Our house faces west and is three stories, so the back yard is mostly shaded by the house, making it unsuitable for gardening.. What say?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dont care for the farmer angle, but I think there's something private about a vegetable/herb patch. Since you have no other choice, I guess go for it.

upthewazzu

Reaction score
Check the city/neighborhood ordinances before you put it in. Some cities, I'm not kidding, consider that a no-no.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
upthe is right. some cities don't even allow xeriscaping (weeds).
i've got 4 veg beds in my side yard (corner lot, on the street). really love them. great for growing salads and things like that. and i'm not much of a gardener. actually, it's one of the most-commented (favorably) features of our yard.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads