• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Henckels 10-piece Pro S knife set on sale for $175; Amazon wants $400

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The narrowness of the boning knife comes in quite handy in certain tasks, and makes it better than a paring. At the FCI, FWIW, the instructors use boning and fillet knives and taught us to do so as well.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Between the two most widely available German brands, I prefer Wusthof.

I am a recent convert to the stone, and I can tell you, they do MUCH less damage to a knife than any electric or mechanical sharpener. I was intimidated by the thing for a long time, but I found that I got the hang of it quickly.

Are there any instructions or guides online you can point me to? My Henckels chef's knife really needs a good sharpening.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
^For purposes other than boning?

When you're filleting a fish, of course you'll want the flexible knife. Other than that, for things like cleaning up beef or pork tenderloin, or for boning a chick or other poultry, you won't need anything other than your chef's and your paring knife.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
Are there any instructions or guides online you can point me to? My Henckels chef's knife really needs a good sharpening.

I started a thread when I bought my stone, and Thomas (among others) explained in detail how to use it.

lbcgav

Reaction score
I have this set (about 15 years old now) and while they have held up OK, I have never loved them.

+1
I purchased this very set for my mother at Marshall Fields (now, sadly Macy's) back in the late 90's. While it was a vast improvement over what she was using at the time, I soon found that the knives became dull quite quickly as well. A couple years ago, I picked up a Wusthof Classic chef's knife that is almost identical aesthetically to the Pro-S. I found that the Wusthof holds an edge much better than the Henckel, and has a slightly better shape for cutting. The knife edge seemed to have more "belly", not unlike that of a well-shaped lapel.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz

Do a search. Manton had a thread on it in which Thomas gave just about every piece of advice you could ever need.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Everything I thought might happen when I posted this thread has, in fact, happened. It's really quite a marvel. I feel like Nostramadamus.

I haven't mentioned Shun yet.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Actually, you're right. I expected three things: set v. no set, steel v. sharpening and Henckles v. Asian knives.

Wait, wait, I expected *four* things: set v. no set, steel v. sharpening, Heckles v. Asian knives and Henckles v. Wustof.

And an almost fanatical devotion to the pope.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I made some comment about Shun on eGullet and got a dissertation on why they are like the Corneliani of Japanese knives, and only idiots don't move on from that phase quickly. Fun stuff!

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So ... is this thread over?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I made some comment about Shun on eGullet and got a dissertation on why they are like the Corneliani of Japanese knives, and only idiots don't move on from that phase quickly. Fun stuff!

Welcome to my world.

Originally Posted by Dewey
So ... is this thread over?

Now that the dust is settling, the knives are still available.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Welcome to my world.

FWIW, I like having a 14 knife set that I got when coming to school. Some of them I haven't used even once. Most I've used once, and I normally use the chef's and paring knife for everything I need.
I still like having all those knifes though, just b/c they're pretty and I like them.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hahaha that's funny... yea, knife snobs HATE Shun.

Back to the main point, however; if you need lots of different knives, you probably aren't very good with any of them and should work on technique rather than buying more useless ****. If you just like them because they look pretty, I can't fault you. To cut a tomato, make sure your chef's knife is well honed, slice heel to tip. Gravity will cut it for you and you will probably barely spill any juice. Those classes people take at cooking schools at Sur La Table are rigged. They make you use all that different **** so the yuppies taking the class buy enough knives to be Dexter Morgan's best friend. Looking at that $175 for the set, I'd buy it, then sell everything else you don't need. I agree with manton though, that Wusthoff are superior to Heinckel.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Strangely I always wanted a Henckels knife, ended up with a couple of Wusthof, and forgot all about the Henckels. Now I have all the knives Mrs. Thomas and I can use in a big Thanksgiving, and I have no more knife wants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads