• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HEMP craze - smoke it ... but wear it???

boardbash

Reaction score
Can someone please explain the purpose of hemp clothing?

Smoke it … but wear it???

I’ll never understand

[spam deleted]

sleep on it ….

[spam deleted]

heck, even hemp boxers …

[spam deleted]

good thing they’re called “lucky nut”! I like my luck elsewhere, thank you.

Anyone wear hemp garb?!?!?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm sure Steve does...

smile.gif

And maybe secretly whnay.

CoryB

Reaction score
I don't own any hemp, but do live in an environmentalist city and amongst the few boutiques are at least two all-natural, hemp stores. Appearently, hemp is essentially spun into regular cotton and the differences aren't readily seen or felt. I have a friend who is looking at distributing help shirts; from the little I recall of our conversation, it seems hemp has the benefits of cotton, but is stronger and more durable.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can't get high by blazing your hemp t-shirt. Unfortunately.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
i had a pair of hemp jeans years ago.

Found the fabric very coarse and itchy.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hemp and linen are quite similar in look, feel, and property.

However, hemp contains no significant amount of THC, so smoking your hemp drawstring pants won't lift your spirits.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"industrial hemp" and "marijuana" are from the same species, but the strains are so different you might not even recognize that they're related at first. Industrial hemp plants are very tall and stalky, for which they're grown. As sonick noted, they contain no appreciable amounts of THC and thus provide no high when smoked (though I hear they do give one a nice headache). Hemp, though, has been an important clothing and rope fiber for a very long time. It's strong, hemp is easy on the soil (much better than cotton...don't know about flax), and it resists rot. It's a great fiber, and my home state (North Dakota) was the first to legalize industrial hemp as an agricultural product. Unfortunately, the USDA (or is it the FDA?) still categorizes it along with marijuana because of the tiny trace amounts of THC present in the plant, so we still can't grow it. Oh, well.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to look into this - any good links for buying quality clothes made from the weed tweed?

LeicaLad

Reaction score
In the 1930s, the hemp industry got done in by a smear campaign ("Refer Madness", etc.) financed almost entirely by the US petroleum industry. With new synthetic textiles on their marketing horizon, as well as a direct thread from hemp seed oil, the industry spared no disinformation to shut down their nascent competitor. For the readers here, see Martin Booth's "Cannabis: A History". The historical uses of the plant products, unrelated to the drug issue, are astounding.

As noted, it is easy to breed the active THC agent completely out of industrial hemp. We are wasting a great resource, not just for the fabulous textile, based on ignorance.

I have a variety of casual shirts and t-shirts from hemp. The casual shirts look like linen to most observers. The t-shirts are a finer weave, although a bit heavier than standard t-shirt cloth. They are absolutely my most comfortable cool weather t's. I got mine from Gower's in Australia. All hemp cloth softens up after several washings, and generally looks better than linen. They also then last forever, getting better and better with age. Hemp is a fantastic textile.

Not so sure about use in dress wear. I just haven't seen it. There are many sites regarding hemp clothing, material and products. This site was recommended in a Cool Tools thread. I've never purchased from them, but include it only as a starting point. http://www.goodhumans.com/

Without doubt, the best starting point is Martin Booth's book. Check Amazon or your local library.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even after repeated washings, hemp isn't as soft as linen or often available at low prices. It, however, wrinkles less and is more durable. Having a hemp piece of clothing is a good idea, for the sake of variety.

Rawganique.com has a large selection of hemp products, including a hemp suit.

Downbound.com is one of other options. Hempest.com has a big selection, too, but all casual.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Orvis sometimes has casual chino equivalents made from hemp. Nice stuff-- worth experimenting with. If someone like Holland & Sherry started making sport jacket material out if it, I'd buy it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads