• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hemming jeans

dan

Reaction score
has anyone here ever gotten jeans hemmed? a large number of new designer jeans only come in different waist sizes, but not different lengths. i'm worried that by hemming jeans, you lose the detailing at the bottom.

davei

Reaction score
Get a eurohem or european-style hem. It's costlier (typically double the price of a normal hem) but what the seamstress/tailor will do is cut the original, detailed hem and move it up the required amount, so you retain the original look.

dan

Reaction score
won't hemming the pant like that show stitching from the section that was cut above the pant bottom?

davei

Reaction score
won't hemming the pant like that show stitching from the section that was cut above the pant bottom?
You would think it would, but the way it's done, only the original hemline shows through. I don't remember the exact procedure, since the only shop I know that does it is an hour away and I only make it there once a month. I'll see if I can find out how it's done and post a tutorial or whatnot. Working it out in my mind's eye, it would end up looking like cuffs unless the cut part was carefully stitched and eased in, but it does look like the original hem. Hmmm. Ask the place where you get your hemming done about it, they should know more than I do
smile.gif

dan

Reaction score
will do.. let's hope they do it.
smile.gif

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I've run into the same problem. My tailor, who is excellent, suggested that I forget about the european style hem and just hem them. Here's why:

Really, the only detailing that you'll be losing is the stone wash and frayed bottoms. I wear my jeans long, so the bottoms will become frayed within a matter of days. Plus, they'll be naturally frayed - and that's kind of the point, isn't it? He uses the same color thread on the hem, and you can't tell the difference.

But, if it's a question of a few dollars, and the eurohem makes you feel better, you might as well just do that.

LDawg

Reaction score
I think the eurohem is an attractive idea for shorter people because designer jeans with distress marks on the back of the knees don't look right if you hem the jeans the tradition way. The distress marks will sit at your calves. I think I will be looking into this for my next pairs of jeans. Thanks davei.

Cheers,
LDawg

dan

Reaction score
the eurohem seems a bit odd, since most designer pants these days are flared at the bottom, won't the pant be two different sizes if you cut a large segment off?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dont wanna hijack this thread, but i dont think my question needs a whole new thread... how do you hem it properly so that the hem is 'crinkled' like it is normally? When I (rather my sister) hems it for me, its just flat, doesnt look... right...

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sonick - the 'crinkled' effect will set in after a few washes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads