• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hemming Jeans in NYC?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mcflip
definitely go to 45rpm and get them chainstitched.

Any tailor can "lock stitch" jeans and a lot of tailors can California or Original hem (chop off the bottom and reattach it higher) but lock stitching makes a hem that doesn't "rope" and won't be spot on to the original and doing a california hem never looks or hangs right.

If you get the bottom chainstitched, provided you haven't already washed your jeans a bunch dip the hems in water and it will "rope" a bit when it dries. After that, that area gets enough wear that it will match the fading of the rest of your jeans after a short period.

So which method is best? I don't want the curling obviously and originally I had thought DD has a machine that did chainstitching but I think they just re-attached the hem.

pacioli

Reaction score
For raw jeans, using the original hem may not be so important. You would want a tailor who can do chainstitching. They just cut off any fabric material that's too long and put a cool looking chainstitch on it. The 45RPM store does that for you.

But they do not do what's called a Eurohem, which takes the fabric material that is currently your hem and moves it up so the jean fits you length wise. This is important if your jeans have been washed/distressed. You don't want to simply cut off all the work put into the hem.

Ramon "tailor to the stars" does this in NYC. 45RPM actually recommends them. I just took two washed jeans to them and will post pics if anyone's interested. They're due back this weekend.

rover7

Reaction score
I would like to get some jeans hemmed and I was wondering if someone could tell me the location or locations of 45rpm.

Thanks

amblus

Reaction score
^
R by 45rpm NEW YORK
169 MERCER St.,NEW YORK 10012
Tel : 917-237-0045 

forty five R NEW YORK UPPER EAST
17 East 71st., New York, NY 10021, U.S.A
Tel : 212-737-5545 

i've only been to the downtown store, chainstitching runs $10.

xcoldricex

Reaction score
alternatively you could go to blue in green - they probably do chainstitching there also.

The Grapist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xcoldricex
alternatively you could go to blue in green - they probably do chainstitching there also.

They will once they bring in their chainstitch sewing machine.

sue

Reaction score
They specialize in the original hem and will deliver to you so it's not a problem if you cannot find a local tailor that can do the original hem.

kelgri24

Reaction score
45 RPM will deliver?? I work in midtown and I'm really interested in having them hem a pair of jeans that I just bought.. but there is no location near me. However, if they would deliver that would be great.

kelgri24

Reaction score
Yeah. I figured that out after I posted my reply. I think I'm just gonna try 45rpm it sounds like they know what they're doing.

ang_kangkong

Reaction score
Way late, but I figured I'd say it anyway. I'd go with BiG, if I were you or anyone in your situation. Went to 45RPM and although they'll chainstitch, they won't switch the thread. It's the same color thread as the ones on their jeans, which is a burnt orange. BiG will change the color thread to match (as closely as possible) the ones on the jeans. The posts above were awhile ago and they've since gotten their machine.

maxse

Reaction score
guys so where exactly is BiG?

Also I am new to the forum and had no idea that it is possible to shorten jeans so they still look like the original ones at the bottom!

I currently have some jeans that are long on me and as a result of me constantly stepping on them at the back they are now stringy and slightly ripped at the bottom. Since they are still long is it possible for me to take it to one of these places so they will just cut it off and make it the correct size and they will look as good as new???
I am in the LI/NYC are. Thanks in advance.

ang_kangkong

Reaction score
If you read this thread, I'm guessing you know that the reason for the original/Euro/California hem is that the jeans have a certain wear to them that would make just hemming them look weird (no wear or fade at the hem).

Also, if you're going for a chainstitch hem, you should make sure that it's going to be the right length by either
a) soaking to get that shrinkage out of the way
b) getting one wash jeans or
c) making sure your jeans are sanforized

Okay, now BIG:
http://blueingreensoho.com
8 Greene Street
New York
NY

T(212) 680-0555
F(212) 680-0556

maxse

Reaction score
thanks. So chainstitching will make the current jeans that I have that are all worn out to threads on the bottom pretty much look like new at BiG?

Also will they measure them there how much they have to take off. Should I wear the sneakers that I wear most often with them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads