• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hem Critique

Mujib

Reaction score
I purchased these Davidson by Kasil Workshop + Ernest Alexander. I wore them once or twice and then took them in to be hemmed. I just got them back (in the mail). The hem job doesn't look right to me. Notice the left leg. I can't get it to sit right, especially when it's cuffed. Does this look ok/normal? If not, should I send them back? Can they be fixed?

Right leg

Right leg folded

Left leg

Left leg folded

Somar

Reaction score
If you post some fit pics, its easier to tell. If there are still some inches left, get it redone. But if you already are at ankle height, you just have to stick with it as it is

Somar

Reaction score
Plan B: Hire a good lawyer + Take some acting classes + Pretend you have psychological damage = You'll have enough money to buy Kasil Workshop (the whole company) and be happy again. :)

yufu22

Reaction score
The right leg = poorly done, but acceptable... from the photograph it looks like the stitching is not straight.

The left leg = redo. When they cut your hem, they probably didn't cut it straight or when they were sewing didn't fold it straight.

Either way, if you can live with it, leave it alone. It's the hem, so when you put them on you won't really notice it... plus once the denim stretches everywhere else the unevenness will less noticeable. Like Somar said, if you have the length then definately get it redone the right way.

I don't know who they have hemming these pants, but honestly hemming is not rocket scientists... I've done it plenty of times and it takes maybe 5 minutes to do a good job.

I hope that helps.

Cheers

Mujib

Reaction score

The right leg = poorly done, but acceptable... from the photograph it looks like the stitching is not straight.

Yeah, I just noticed that as well.

The left leg = redo. When they cut your hem, they probably didn't cut it straight or when they were sewing didn't fold it straight.

Not only is the cut not straight (it's curved in both pics) but the inseam stitches do not line up.

It's the hem, so when you put them on you won't really notice it...

That's when its noticeable most; it sticks out awkwardly and wont fall like the other leg.

This is a chain stitch hem done by Self Edge. They charged $25 (+ $10 for shipping).

yufu22

Reaction score
In my experience Self Edge has always carried interesting items, everyone that works there is very friendly, and they have a good reputation in the community... just never got anything hemmed there since I can do it for free myself at work...

I would call / e-mail and complain with the pictures you showed me. I'm sure they will do their best to take care of you. Are they long enough to be redone though because that would be option A??

$25 is a little high even for a chain stitch hem. It's usually $10-$20 depending on who does it but no more than that even at Barneys. Like I said, a lot of people don't want you to know this but it literally takes 5 mins. I suggest looking for a good tailor where you live because they certainly come in handy... Anyway...

I can send you the owner's name and e-mail if you want to go straight to the top, so feel free to PM me so I can give you that info... I figure they don't want it posted on here.

I hope it all works out for you. Cheers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads