• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Helvetica

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Hmm.. I agree, of course if someone else were to say that it's a bad or boring font I'd tell them it's not - in many respects it's probably the best-crafted sans serif font in wide use. The problem is the wide usage. Nearly everything these days that's designed with the intention of looking "designy" uses Helvetica, and IMO it loses a lot of its luster over that. Nimbus is built around a similar aesthetic, but IMO, is a bit more unique, and looks quite good compressed.

I like it for the very reason you don't. I completely understand where you're coming from and don't disagree. I like Helvetica for all of its associations to the heyday of modern design. Today design seems to have a shelf life of about 10 minutes, Helvetica is indeed a bit long in the tooth.

This may draw flak from many, but I've always thought Bodoni to be a very elegant face. And if you ever see some of the original drawings by Eric Gill for Gill Sans, they are very cool. I'd love to own one.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been trying to acquire typography related art for a while. I think a nicely laid out specimen would be cool.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
I just saw some Wassily chairs in chartreuse leather that would look great paired with this on the wall. (Eric Gill, Gill Sans)
Where can I get a copy of this?

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kent,I just pulled that off the web.
I bet some decent books on typography or Eric gill would have some
decent reproductions. I have seen them, but don't have the exact sources handy. The originals might be hard to come by, but a decent large scale printout might be the next best option.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I think Gill Sans is a really fantastic font, and I like Bodoni as well, actually. I use it quite a bit, it works really nicely particularly when the subject is art-related (gallery opening flyer, etc.).

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I think Gill Sans is a really fantastic font, and I like Bodoni as well, actually. I use it quite a bit, it works really nicely particularly when the subject is art-related (gallery opening flyer, etc.).
WHOA, eerie coincidence. I designed the logo for a marketing project that was due yesterday, and in the logo I used exactly those two fonts:
eleventcover.jpg
(It was an event marketing company, hence the name) Back on topic, I watched this doc this afternoon. Quite interesting, I thought, but fairly average in terms of content. Still interesting, nonetheless.

aboutsomeoneelse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Helvetica, schmelvitca. I've decided to start posting in nothing but Comic Sans.

180px-The_Goggles,_they_do_nothing!.gif

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to see this yet it seems there is no UK/Italy release- on IMDB, at least.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just saw this and ordered it for my collection. It renewed my admiration for this typeface. I think the movie helps to put a humanity to what is ordinarily percieved to be a humanless typeface. Brian is right, there's not alot of good film on graphic design. I liked this alot, but it is probably for a limited audience in some respects. Though not about graphic design, I really like "My Architect" by Louis Kahn's son.
Some months ago, I saw this very good documentary about the design of the London Underground map - I think you'd love it. I'll see if I can find the title etc.
I like it for the very reason you don't. I completely understand where you're coming from and don't disagree. I like Helvetica for all of its associations to the heyday of modern design. Today design seems to have a shelf life of about 10 minutes, Helvetica is indeed a bit long in the tooth. This may draw flak from many, but I've always thought Bodoni to be a very elegant face. And if you ever see some of the original drawings by Eric Gill for Gill Sans, they are very cool. I'd love to own one.
I've seen some - I remember thinking that they were quite pricey.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Some months ago, I saw this very good documentary about the design of the London Underground map - I think you'd love it. I'll see if I can find the title etc.

I've seen some - I remember thinking that they were quite pricey.

LS, please pass along that title. One of my all time favorite logos.
I'd also be interested to know if any of these original drawings for typefaces comes your way, sounds like Kent Wang would as well.

Cool logo Sonick

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I found this ligature on Wikipedia and had it printed at 3x5.
Fi_garamond_sort_001.png

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Helvetica, schmelvitca. I've decided to start posting in nothing but Comic Sans.

IMPACT FONT IS PRETTY COOL TOO IMO

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads