• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Helpless in Chicago ... Suit Help

llcooljayce

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am in desperate need of a couple of suits and will be visiting Chicago (from Calgary, Alberta, Canada) in May. We typically hit up the Premium Outlets when we go to the States and I have meandered through the suit stores before but I am not completely sure what I should watch out for.

I purchased a couple of Zegna suits from an outlet store in Los Angeles and I am pretty happy with them but I am not sure if I got a good deal or not. From what I have read, the Griti suit (Zegna) is of a lower quality fabric than what is used in Zegna suits.

Basically, I am looking to find out whether I should be watching for specific labels when I hit these store or if I should avoid the outlets all together. The stores in the Chicago outlet that look promising are:

Hugo Boss
Giorgio Armani
Brooks Brothers

Any thoughts or recommendations for the Chicago area would also be very much appreciated. Thanks

PS ... I would be willing to spend from $600-$800 a suit

TIA

llcooljayce

Reaction score
The only Armani you'll get at that price range, even at an outlet is the white label/Collezioni stuff, which isn't great in quality. Same for Boss. Brooks is probably your best bet.

Is there anywhere I can read up on the different labels available through each brand? I guess what I am looking to do is to find great deals. I'm hoping that I might come across something that they are trying to get rid of that has a much higher retail price ... perhaps it's a pipe dream.

lmaligaya

Reaction score
What's your size? If you are smaller than a 40 or larger than a 46 you can find some great deals at Nordstrom Rack, NM Last call, etc. Are you planning on going to the premium outlets in Aurora?

You can also check stores like Mark Shale in Northbrook or Paul Stuart downtown, they may be a little spendier, but their selection will be unique. The are consistently on the best men's stores list for Chicago. Who knows, maybe you will find something to fall in love with. Good luck!

llcooljayce

Reaction score
What's your size? If you are smaller than a 40 or larger than a 46 you can find some great deals at Nordstrom Rack, NM Last call, etc. Are you planning on going to the premium outlets in Aurora?
You can also check stores like Mark Shale in Northbrook or Paul Stuart downtown, they may be a little spendier, but their selection will be unique. The are consistently on the best men's stores list for Chicago. Who knows, maybe you will find something to fall in love with. Good luck!

Depending on the suit, I am usually a 40 but I have fit into a 38 before.

The outlet we are planning on going to is the Auora location.

What is a realistic amount that I would need to spend at Mark Shale or Paul Stuart?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You'll probably get sticker shock from the Paul Stuart suits. Don't get tricked into thinking you're getting a great deal just because the retail price started out high. Those Armani Collezioni suits probably retail for $2500, but the $500 suit you could get from Suit Supply is higher quality in many respects.

gamma1234

Reaction score

Thanks for the link. I actually live 10 minutes from there and had no luck the few times i went.

I only went to the Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers stores and had ZERO luck. The RL store had all generic polo crap that i had no interest in; the BB store was entirely outlet-only stuff (i.e. no 1818 or Golden/Black Fleece line).

Edit: I'm not trying to say there is nothing here. I was more genuinely asking to know where people went at the Aurora Outlets. Despite living so close I have spent very little time here.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks for the link. I actually live 10 minutes from there and had no luck the few times i went.
I only went to the Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers stores and had ZERO luck. The RL store had all generic polo crap that i had no interest in; the BB store was entirely outlet-only stuff (i.e. no 1818 or Golden/Black Fleece line).
Edit: I'm not trying to say there is nothing here. I was more genuinely asking to know where people went at the Aurora Outlets. Despite living so close I have spent very little time here.

Actually I remember reading this before now about Brooks - I think the only genuine Brooks outlet that has stuff that is also carried in regular stores is somewhere in NC. Really it seems like most outlets now carry mostly direct-to-outlet stuff that isn't a bargain at all.

llcooljayce

Reaction score
Actually I remember reading this before now about Brooks - I think the only genuine Brooks outlet that has stuff that is also carried in regular stores is somewhere in NC. Really it seems like most outlets now carry mostly direct-to-outlet stuff that isn't a bargain at all.

This is the information that I am actually looking for. I have been noticing that the outlets that I visit seem to be only stocking stuff that can only be found at outlets. The quality seems less than that of the retail stores. For example, a dress shirt at the BR outlet stores have very flimsy collars whereas the retail stores seem to be more solidly built.

The question is, is it worth even going out of my way to go to the outlets?

gamma1234

Reaction score

This is the information that I am actually looking for.  I have been noticing that the outlets that I visit seem to be only stocking stuff that can only be found at outlets.  The quality seems less than that of the retail stores.  For example, a dress shirt at the BR outlet stores have very flimsy collars whereas the retail stores seem to be more solidly built.  

The question is, is it worth even going out of my way to go to the outlets?

In my limited experience i would say it is not worth driving 50 minutes from Chicago to shop at the Aurora Outlets - that's in my limited experience there.

Birks and Grey Socks

Reaction score
FWIW, last time I was in Chicago, I found better deals for suits and SCs on the Mile than at the outlets. NM, Saks, Nord and Barney's all have fantastic sales during holiday weekends. I picked up a couple of Drake cashmere ties for $27,and a Corneliani blazer for $280.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Brooks Brothers outlet in Aurora is primarily stocked with the 346 line, which is made for the outlet and not good quality. I was not impressed the only time I've been to that Aurora outlet mall and have not been back. As Aurora is a long drive from Chicago, I'd say hit Nordstrom Rack, Last Call, etc. if you're looking for good bargains, but they're pretty hit or miss. You never know.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, last time I was in Chicago, I found better deals for suits and SCs on the Mile than at the outlets. NM, Saks, Nord and Barney's all have fantastic sales during holiday weekends. I picked up a couple of Drake cashmere ties for $27,and a Corneliani blazer for $280.

Agreed, if he was coming after Father's day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads